Volnation getting some love (or hate) from the AJC today

Hire Troop back. Problem solved, him and Jay would light it up. Troop with wide-outs or defense?

I always liked TT when he was with UT. IMO, his groups always seemed to perform better with him than without him. I also think he worked harder than the rest of Fulmer's staff in recruiting... which created friction between him and others. Chavis was said to resent TT taking credit for recruiting wins. I don't think there's any question that he's an effective recruiter.

That said, I didn't like the way he left or acted immediately after he left. There have also been indications that he may not be completely ethical/legitimate in his recruiting methods.

Maybe being used by Gundy and having to humble himself to being a likely career position coach coupled with UT's coaching changes would make a reunion possible. But there are probably too many wounds.

Going 1-7 in the sec makes you a puncline. Having crazy fans does not.

Going 1-7 makes for a difficult sell... going 1-7 then having completely irrational fans go nuts blaming the guy who is trying to fix it for problems he inherited... turns recruits off.

Don't think Troop would come back but i'd love for them to try it. He was awesome on the sidelines as well as the Vol Walk and recruits love him.

Trooper left here cause he didn't get the OC job but he's not OC at the barn & didn't get it when Mahlzan left. Think I heard him & chief didn't get along.

Trooper left here cause he didn't get the OC job but he's not OC at the barn & didn't get it when Mahlzan left. Think I heard him & chief didn't get along.

All the above. Gundy wanted his recruiting so he gave him a "co-OC" title. Apparently either TT saw through the charade or else he could not handle whatever responsibilities that entailed. He didn't last long in Stillwater.

Last edited:
Oh no. You are wrong.... and some of the negative posters will be sure to cut you down to size for suggesting that what they post here has any impact at all on the program. If the Vols miss out on the Berry twins, they will completely deny that they had any part in it.

if we lose them then place the blame where it is due on Dooley. Everything is an afterthought with this guy. Maybe he should have at least reached out way before now even if it was to James. He spouts VFL but he doesn't live the credo. Dooley is a day late and dollar short. Dooley is all hat and no cattle. I mean he needs a message board to tell him to reach out to a family that is real Tennessee.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
Can anybody make that make sense to me?

The kids can only talk to coaches by visiting the campus or calling coaches. The DD quotes are a violation if he said those words to a soph recruit unless they called him or they were on the UT campus when he made them.

Edit. The quote was stated as being said to the coach and not the kids.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

Last edited:
The kids can only talk to coaches by visiting the campus or calling coaches. The DD quotes are a violation if he said those words to a soph recruit unless they called him or they were on the UT campus when he made them.
from what i read and i thought dd only talked to the coach, am i wrong on thinking this?

from what i read and i thought dd only talked to the coach, am i wrong on thinking this?

Thanks for posting it made me go back and reread it. I was wrong. He did make those comments to the coach I will go back and edit my post about it.

How are they being HEAVILY RECRUITED by those other teams???

Well...they're barely old enough to drive and nearly every powerhouse program in the SEC has spoken with them and, I'm sure, made it know that an offer is soon to come.

You tell me...isn't that being "heavily recruited?"

Its very possible. Contacting these kids is as simple as asking the coach asking the HS coach to tell the prospect to call him.

Right. So the 'act' of recruiting at this point is having the coach talk to them for you, they call you, and then it's game on.

I don't know the rules for all of that.

When it said they are being heavily recruited, but DD can't speak to them it looked funny to me.

My question wasn't if they were being recruited, but how that works.

TT can rot for all I care. He has and will continue to try to undermine to get what he wants. Trooper is a guy who wants something that numerous coaches know he cant do.

Right. So the 'act' of recruiting at this point is having the coach talk to them for you, they call you, and then it's game on.

I don't know the rules for all of that.

When it said they are being heavily recruited, but DD can't speak to them it looked funny to me.

My question wasn't if they were being recruited, but how that works.

Its very common for kids to be contacted thru their HS coaches. All it takes is 2 text to get the kid to call.

Text 1: DD to HS coach: Have Berry call me.
Text2: HS coach to Berry: call DD

Last edited:
TT can rot for all I care. He has and will continue to try to undermine to get what he wants. Trooper is a guy who wants something that numerous coaches know he cant do.

Backward hat chestbump!

If Trooper had the goods he would be an OC by now.

I agrer but, I think Fulmers last experiment couldnt have been worse than giving it to TT. Clawfense was a disaster.

Would have been just as bad...if not worse. Fulmer didn't have enough sway with staff or admin to pull that off anyway.

Would have been just as bad...if not worse. Fulmer didn't have enough sway with staff or admin to pull that off anyway.

I don't know....the Clawfense was as horrid as Ted Cain's offense at Vandy--only difference was UT had talent.

TT might have very well failed as OC but I can't imagine him being worse than Clawson--at least Taylor motivated his players....I guess.

VN Store

Back