*****VolNation as an app on mobile, and push notifications*****

Freak

VolNation's Grand Poobah
Staff member
Some of you may have noticed a message at the bottom of your browser asking you if you want to enable push notifications. It's a new feature of the board where you can install the website as a web app and you can get push notifications on your mobile device, ipad or laptop/desktop computer.

My plan for this is to set up Breaking News Alerts that will be pushed to your phone. More on that at a later date.

On your mobile phone (iphone or Android) go to the main VolNation forum page and then click on the share button. On iOS it looks like a box with an arrow pointing up. Click the button and then select add to home screen. On Chrome for Android I had to click the three dots at the top right to go into settings and then click add to home screen. You should see a new icon on your phone. Click on that to open the site. A message will appear asking to enable notifications. Pick yes.

Here’s a picture of the share button on an iphone.

IMG_3542.jpeg

Here is what the new home icon should look like on your phone.

IMG_3543.jpeg

On desktop, all you should have to do is click the message at the bottom of the screen to enable push notifications.

Next. go into your preferences under your profile and check the boxes next to the items you'd like to be notified of via "push".

Screenshot 2023-09-02 at 3.55.24 AM.png

Let me know if you have any issues or questions or if there's anything I need to clarify in the instructions above. I know one person that did have to update their iphone to the latest software version to get it to work, but I'm not sure whether that's the norm or not.

@Freak, when I do it on my iPhone, it doesn’t show up the way it is supposed to. Instead of VN, it’s a T and it’s just a bookmark. I tap on it and it doesn’t ask to enable push notifications.

@Freak, when I do it on my iPhone, it doesn’t show up the way it is supposed to. Instead of VN, it’s a T and it’s just a bookmark. I tap on it and it doesn’t ask to enable push notifications.
Is your iphone software up to date? If you followed the instructions above, I'm not why it would show up differently.

Is your iphone software up to date? If you followed the instructions above, I'm not why it would show up differently.
Got it! Only other problem I’m having is I cannot reply to posts on the app. My keyboard does not come up to type in a message when I hit reply and I can’t figure out how to get it to pop up.

Reactions: WillisWG
@Freak my icon black with a white T, not the orange VN.

I have an iPhone 13 Pro. iOS 16.6.
When I opened it did not ask for push notifications.

1693678919113.png

Last edited:
@Freak my icon black with a white T, not the orange VN.

I have an iPhone 13 Pro. iOS 16.6.
When I opened it did not ask for push notifications.

View attachment 575103
Not sure why there’s a black T. And it usually doesn’t ask for mitigations until you open the site from the new icon. If that doesn’t work you can go into settings - notifications - and scroll down to VolNation and evenly them from there.

Anyone else seeing a T icon instead of the orange VN icon I posted above?

Got it! Only other problem I’m having is I cannot reply to posts on the app. My keyboard does not come up to type in a message when I hit reply and I can’t figure out how to get it to pop up.
Try closing the “app” completely by bring up all of your open applications then swipe away to close.

Try closing the “app” completely by bring up all of your open applications then swipe away to close.
It’s working. Not sure why I couldn’t reply to posts initially. I did not go to the forum homepage is why it wasn’t adding Volnation as an app but a bookmark instead.

Reactions: WillisWG and Freak
It’s working. Not sure why I couldn’t reply to posts initially. I did not go to the forum homepage is why it wasn’t adding Volnation as an app but a bookmark instead.
Thanks for the update. This might help some others.

I'm trying to access the website from India. It works on one network and doesn't on another. Also on the wi-fi network that I am able to access it through my laptop but not through my p[hone on the same network.

Any help would be appreciated @Freak
I’ll check some of our firewall settings. I have a lot of other countries banned from accessing the site because of the massive number of spammers. That’s probably not the issue in your case though since you’re able to access it.

VN Store

Back