Vol uniform/helmet design discussion (merged)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Amen to that.

Most of you guys weren't even born yet, but when Jim McDonald was coach for one year between Bowden Wyatt and Doug Dickey, one of the things he tried to do was add a little bit of blue trim to the unis (I think it might have been a blue border around the numbers, and I think he did it because many radio guys, spotters, etc. were complaining that they couldn't read the white numbers against the orange jerseys). He was just about lynched for such a sacrilege.

It might be different today. One poster made the point that there are many that don't care much about the old days.

But you can bet that adding anything to the orange and white football uniforms would be highly controversial, to say the least. The school colors are orange and white. It's part of the great tradition of Tennessee football.
Originally, The orange and white represented the type of Daisy that grew on the "study hill" or "Barbara hill" trimmed in columbia blue has been a tradition, but , as much of the history in Appalachia, it is an oral tradition. It completed the visual of what people remembered from their days on the hill because of the clear, early autumn sky. I'm a purist and the columbia blue should stay even if just on the Lady Vols. Leave it to Pat Summit to stick to her guns (and it's not because it's a "chick" color) because of tradition and class....just ask her. It is SOOOOOO much more classy than black. Guys and Gals, we are blessed with that gorgeous "clorox" orange and white....you can look classy and different or you can try to look like chep peanut halloween candy while copying(me tooing) everyone else that has a base color that lends itself to black....usually already a part of their basic color scheme. This is one mans humble opinion. I rue the day they let Delmonico intro the black crap on a uni(the Pride of the Southland Band has used black because it is a formal MUSIC color tradition extending far past our UT and this country....that is different). Now, a dark columbia blue outlining the numbers would be fine with me for highlighting for the commentators, but that's just me and due to growing up with gey athletic shirts and sweats and caps done that way that were NOT just a Lady Vol thing. Old sentiment...nothing more. Official orange and white are fine with me as long as the shade is right and there is NO BLACK. I even hate the # trim. It's just TOO peanut butter candy.
No fight, JMO rooted firmly in tradition

Reactions: NCVOL327
If a game ever landed on Halloween I say we go with a black jersey...Why not, change the white in the checkerboard to black, get half the crowd to wear black the other half Orange. It may not result in big plays on the field but the chicks would dig it.

It would be nice for a couple of players to go as Jabari Greer & Gibril Wilson, or at least do their best impression of those two

Gun Metal Grey up in here
That WOULD work as a base. It's very "old-school and, really, has to do with athletics in general.....not actual color scheme. Orange and white are always the colors, but grey is a nuetral base to place it on. Many classy schools do that. It would'nt surprise me if the General had.

If a game ever landed on Halloween I say we go with a black jersey...Why not, change the white in the checkerboard to black, get half the crowd to wear black the other half Orange. It may not result in big plays on the field but the chicks would dig it.

It would be nice for a couple of players to go as Jabari Greer & Gibril Wilson, or at least do their best impression of those two

worse idea i have read on this thread... just plain stupid.

I would like to see our football team come out with black pants, black jersey's all trimmed in orange (white numerals) with a white T on a black helmet just one time against Florida and just beat the dawg shiot out of them!!

i knew a thread like this was bound to appear after seeing GA come out in the black.........

but oh well......i thought it looked good for GA....i liked it. but black is one of their colors, so it was a little easier to buy.

black jersey's for us would look stupid.

and the black trim on the numerals came about in mid 1994 when radio and TV broadcasters made the comment that it was too hard to read the plain orange numbers on the away uniforms.

it was NOT an attempt to incorporate black in to the color scheme, which is why black has never made it's way on to the home uni's.

some things don't need to be messed with. i like the uni's they have right now, just fine.

no way.I didn't like Ga black shirts and it would even worse for Tennessee:no::nono:

I think the black jerseys were fine for UGA since that's one of their colors . . . but the combination with the red helmet and silver pants was a little much. Then again, they seemed to like it, so that's all that matters.

I think the black jerseys were fine for UGA since that's one of their colors . . . but the combination with the red helmet and silver pants was a little much. Then again, they seemed to like it, so that's all that matters.

Black is one of our colors now too! It's not a main color like UGA's but it is on our away jersey, our home bball jersey, away bball jersey, baseball unis etc. I noticed one of you that is against the idea has a pic of C-Lo at Ohio State as your avatar. Take a close looke at all of the colors on his uniform. THERE'S BLACK ON IT!!
Most of the people on here aren't saying do it for every game, but just once to spice things up. You people that are saying go back to the 60-80s and look at our uni's. Do you want us to break out the Wishbone/wing T/leather helmets and start playing like that too? Are you all the same grumpy old people that sit there every saturday in your seat, refusing to cheer, and blaming Fulmer for every dropped pass, and overthrown ball? Accept it that Nike/Adidas have changed the appearance of football teams and they are going to promote anything that will get more of their product out there.
I'm suprised this hasn't already been done by the school esp. with the growing trend of "white/black/blue outs". Don't know if you picked up on the number of black UGA jersey's that were being worn by fans. That's alot of profit they made in one week just from those jerseys alone. It also provides a different atmosphere and maybe just maybe it would get some of the people in the stadium to actually get in to the game for once. Regardless of how they looked, UGA was rockin' Saturday; if it takes black jerseys and a "black out" to get Neyland rockin' like that again I'm all for it.

fwiw a "white out" was tried 2 years ago for one of the home games and was tremendously UNsuccessful. This was b/c it was just the students trying to get the word out. If the coaching staff annouced it during the week(see UGA last week) and the team got behind it with some kind of uniform it would work.

Just say no to black! As a trim color, fine but black jerseys....:focus:

Most of the people on here aren't saying do it for every game, but just once to spice things up. You people that are saying go back to the 60-80s and look at our uni's. Do you want us to break out the Wishbone/wing T/leather helmets and start playing like that too? Are you all the same grumpy old people that sit there every saturday in your seat, refusing to cheer, and blaming Fulmer for every dropped pass, and overthrown ball?

that part could rival Otter's courtroom speech in Animal House. Don't like black jerseys then you must hate UT!

I think it would be a great idea to break out some black unis for, say, next year's UAB game. We should get an early kickoff, and that would help to even the playing field in the hot August sun.

You laugh, but that argument is more convincing than a lot I've seen on here. I mean: we've got a hack-job photoshopped jersey that looks like something my parents used to throw away from my Halloween candy, a rampage about old people who don't cheer and fault Fulmer, and some garbage about the Lady Vols using baby blue trim.

Uhhhh. . . . the defense of Orange and White uniforms rests, your Honor.

Oh, and somebody mentioned the black helmet posted here sometime mid-offseason. . .hunt that old picture down. It should settle this thing (again).

I don't want to be Cal or Oregon or any of the programs that have a fashion consultant for game day. Keep it simple, keep it like it is.

id like to see us break out those jerseys that started off the 04 season against UNLV more often

Black is one of our colors now too! It's not a main color like UGA's but it is on our away jersey, our home bball jersey, away bball jersey, baseball unis etc. I noticed one of you that is against the idea has a pic of C-Lo at Ohio State as your avatar. Take a close looke at all of the colors on his uniform. THERE'S BLACK ON IT!!

fwiw a "white out" was tried 2 years ago for one of the home games and was tremendously UNsuccessful. This was b/c it was just the students trying to get the word out. If the coaching staff annouced it during the week(see UGA last week) and the team got behind it with some kind of uniform it would work.

The basketball team has a black jersey. Expect to see it against Ohio State.

"White outs" are good for Penn State. If you haven't noticed, there's an "Orange Out" every Saturday in the fall in Neyland.

Oh, and somebody mentioned the black helmet posted here sometime mid-offseason. . .hunt that old picture down. It should settle this thing (again).

This one?

Attachments

• blackthelmet2.jpg
    blackthelmet2.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 518
Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back