Vanderbilt-Tennessee football game needs a name (The Tennessean)

One of the resident Gator fans actually nailed it earlier. We shouldn't justify this game with any importance other than as a stepping stone to us winning the East. Vandy has beat us three times since I've been alive. No need to make it something it hasn't been in decades because we've had a bad run since 07. Honestly, I would even like to see Vandy leave the conference if they could be replaced by a quality team (Georgia Tech or Clemson comes to mind).

If they went to the Big 10 or ACC, I might actually watch their games. They might have a decent chance of being a factor some years if they started managing their program and upgrade their facilities.

What irks me is the Tennesseean wants to sponsor it. Which would lead me to suggest calling it the Rag Bowl for obvious reasons.

However, they could call it the Tee-Pee bowl.
(Tennessee vs Peabody)

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
Neyland east vs Neyland west...since UT always has more fans at both.

(If this was already mentioned, I'm sorry....I didn't read through almost 200 posts about it.)

Just move the game to October and The University of Tennessee can call it HOMECOMING!

And it wouldn't matter if it was in Knoxville or Nashville, it could still be Tennessee's homecoming!

Reactions: 2 people
I don't think I've seen this posted anywhere, and merge if necessary, but I saw it on Twitter today and thought VN's suggested names could get interesting.

"What’s a good name for the Vanderbilt-Tennessee rivalry? I’d be interested in your thoughts. For the rabid fan, try to keep the venom aside. Selected suggestions will be published in a future column; the best of the suggestions will be presented to Vols coach Butch Jones, Commodores coach Derek Mason and the two universities’ athletic departments.

The Tennessean is willing to supply the trophy (or cup) for the two rivals to pass back and forth each year. But, first the game needs a name."

Vanderbilt-Tennessee football game needs a name

Battle for the Barrel

jack daniels.jpg

If we can't play Kentucky for a beer barrel then lets play Vanderbilt for a Jack Daniels whiskey barrel. Jack Daniels might be willing to kick in some advertising dollars to help push it past the normal politics.

Reactions: 1 person
Battle for the Barrel

View attachment 96866

If we can't play Kentucky for a beer barrel then lets play Vanderbilt for a Jack Daniels whiskey barrel. Jack Daniels might be willing to kick in some advertising dollars to help push it past the normal politics.

I have been drinking this of late and really like it. No offense to the JD fans.

H8335.JPG

Reactions: 2 people
Mountain Music Classic ( smokey mountains vs music city)

I-40 Blood Trail

Trail Of Tears

The Whiskey Barrel/Whiskey Cup

Boondocks Bowl

The TRIvalry ( Tri cities/tri state rivalry )

Big Brothers Little Sisters

The Showdown

R&R ( Rivals Renewed )

Homestead Strike ( In a instate battle way. Not the 1892 Pennsylvania Homestead strike )

The Annual State Of Honor Bowl ( should be self explanatory )

I thought of these today. How about either the "Coonskin Cup" or the "Crockett Cup". I like the " Coonskin cup" since our state animal is the raccoon.

Let's NOT do Crockett's Cup...just sounds wrong on soooo many levels.

How about a 'Coonskin Cap' and the scores get embroidered onto it every year, ala the beer barrel.

VN Store

Back