Vanderbilt-Tennessee football game needs a name (The Tennessean)

This is kinda hard considering all the great nicknames and cool slogans to do with our great state we already use in Knoxville so.....

"The Commodore Cup"

1) It sounds classy.

2) The cup is originating in Nashville with The Tennessean.

3) If each year's winner is engraved on the trophy, it needs to have some reference to Vanderbilt on it somewhere.

You're not really taking this seriously are you??

Edit: #3....didn't see it the first time. Lol.

Last edited:
How about the "You Are Going To Hear Rocky Top Until Your Ears Bleed Bowl"?

109017-ric-flair-WOO-gif-Imgur-DLqv.gif

Last edited:
I got it.......finally after hours of thought I've got it..

We will call it the...... Ya ready for this? Ok here goes...

The Tennessee vs Vanderbilt game

So how'd i do?

The writter is wrong on many fronts. We should be breaking down his article and pointing out the flaws.

He starts by stating...many of the biggest rivalries.....welp, this isn't a rivalry.....

He goes on to say both have passionate fanbases. Welp, Tennessee has one and Vandie doesn't even have a fanbase....they have a fan or two

They have a fan base. I saw it when we visited with my daughters' department head back about two years ago (the girls are rising Sophomores now). It's right there in the lobby of the Chemistry department. Fan still attached to it and everything. It's good to go.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
This has to be the worst idea ever. No nickname should be given to what should be an annual beat down and stat pad game to an inferior bunch 2* arrogant wannabes. Thank you Vanderbilt for raising the conference's academic standing. That's all you get.

Reactions: 6 people
I sure as hell hope there's no passing it back and forth each year lol.I think we should just call it what it always has been with Vanderbilt coming to Neyland or the Vols going to the Commodores and just whooping their arse.

Maybe they think the Vols should pass it to Vanderbilt so they could become reminiscent about their glory days of defeating the Vols.

You're not really taking this seriously are you??

Edit: #3....didn't see it the first time. Lol.

You know, the more I think about it... I seriously do like the idea.

Let me put it this way... which would be more satisfying? "Owning" your own cup or owning your rival's cup?

Why not? Call it The Commodore Cup... bedeck it in black & gold... embellish it with a 19th century nautical theme...
we'll take good care of it! On one side of the cup put their slab-serif V & wishing star, and put the Power-T on the other side. That'll make for good optics.

It's practical as well. For the post-game team photo, just tell the winners to form up behind the V.

No need for a name IMO. Let Vandy name it if they must, will be that much sweeter when they only win once every 20 yrs or so.

How about something similar to NASCAR. The College Football 3000 Cup. (The 3000 comes from the next reasonable year they could beat us in a game!)

"The Commodore Cup"

1) It sounds classy.

2) The cup is originating in Nashville with The Tennessean.

3) If each year's winner is engraved on the trophy, it needs to have some reference to Vanderbilt on it somewhere.

The concept was advanced by David Ammenheuser, the Tennessean's current sports editor. As a recent transplant, he does not realize that Tennessee fans significantly outnumber Vanderbilt fans in middle Tennessee. For that matter, there are so many colleges and universities within Nashville proper, plus the commuter school, MTSU, that collegiate allegiances within Davidson County are badly fragmented. If one absolutely insists on giving Vanderbilt pseudo-equal billing, it could be named the Neyland/McGugin trophy in honor of the greatest coaches in the respective histories of the two programs.

VN Store

Back