UT under potential NCAA investigation for NIL

People are underestimating UT here. UT wanted this to hit the media so they could release the letter they had been working on for weeks and so the AG could file his suit he has been working on and colluding with Virginia on for weeks.

Some of you are gullible to believe that it was NCAA and not UT that caused all the media leaks.

UT delivered the letter on Monday to NCAA and someone KNEW there was a letter and to FOI request it and UT actually released it ALL by Tuesday afternoon then AG filed Wednesday morning. Come on people think.

UT went on the OFFENSE in December when NCAA President refused to meet with them
The letter also if you read the wording of it, it’s not just Tennessee that’s being represented with those words.

People are underestimating UT here. UT wanted this to hit the media so they could release the letter they had been working on for weeks and so the AG could file his suit he has been working on and colluding with Virginia on for weeks.

Some of you are gullible to believe that it was NCAA and not UT that caused all the media leaks.

UT delivered the letter on Monday to NCAA and someone KNEW there was a letter and to FOI request it and UT actually released it ALL by Tuesday afternoon then AG filed Wednesday morning. Come on people think.

UT went on the OFFENSE in December when NCAA President refused to meet with them
I'm impressed with how proactive Tennessee has been. They had a well orchestrated counter-attack planned.

The NCAA has no jurisdiction in telling Spyre who they can and cannot work with. Spyre is not the university.
They will have to prove that Spyre was offering deals on a quid-pro-quo basis. In other words, offers were contingent upon the athlete playing for the University of Tennessee. I have to believe that Spyre has covered themselves in this most critical area.

University of Georgia President Jere Morehead is Chair of the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) Division I Board of Directors and a member of the NCAA Division I Administrative Committee and NCAA Board of Governors. I would bet that Georgia will not be joining lawsuit.

They will have to prove that Spyre was offering deals on a quid-pro-quo basis. In other words, offers were contingent upon the athlete playing for the University of Tennessee. I have to believe that Spyre has covered themselves in this most critical area.
I might be wrong, but I don’t think there is a restriction on how a NIL contract is worded. Contracts are always a “this for that” type thing. It’s like anything with a contract, however, I believe that players can get out of their contract and look for other ones if they decided to go to another school.

For example, Spyre doesn’t have to still pay for players transferring to other schools. They just void their contract and the player can pursue a new contract based on a collective that stipulates where a player will go.

I might be wrong, but I don’t think there is a restriction on how a NIL contract is worded. Contracts are always a “this for that” type thing. It’s like anything with a contract, however, I believe that players can get out of their contract and look for other ones if they decided to go to another school.

For example, Spyre doesn’t have to still pay for players transferring to other schools. They just void their contract and the player can pursue a new contract based on a collective that stipulates where a player will go.
With the easy escape clauses there appear to be on both sides the way layers are moving around, let’s put “Contract” in quotes.

I don't know much about this .... except that the collectives are not supposed to be a part of the recruiting process. That would seem to prohibit a contractual arrangement contingent upon where the athlete plays.

Spyre came out in there statement yesterday and specifically said Nico is not obligated to UT in any way.

I don't know much about this .... except that the collectives are not supposed to be a part of the recruiting process. That would seem to prohibit a contractual arrangement contingent upon where the athlete plays.
Care to state what year SPRYE and Nico went into an agreement and if that rule was in place when they did, if they did at all.

The NCAA is only doing this because we've rolled over previously. We're low hanging fruit but a name nonetheless. They didn't expect a fight. Just like a bully, you step up and start swinging and he'll wilt.

Reactions: Volbrando
All of you are missing a big issue.

Unofficial visits where recruits are provided recruiting activities by the school cannot have transportation and lodging provided for by anyone other than the recruit’s family or legal guardian.

Nico is on the record talking about his March 4-6, 2022 unofficial visit to UT. He admitted in interviews meeting with the coaches, had photos taken with coaches, went to the UT-Arkansas basketball game.

Nico was not the only player on the trip. Jordan Anderson was as well. Anderson is now a commit to Oregon State.

The Tennessee Compliance department requires recruits and coaches to fill out an “Unofficial Visit Declarations form”. That form asks the recruit to declare who provided transportation and by what means. It requires details on lodging and that no meals were paid for. A coach must attest to having no knowledge of anything being paid for by anyone other than the recruit or the recruit’s family.

A booster flying Nico out to Knoxville on March 3. Nico spends March 4-6 on an unofficial visit at UT and flew back either March 6 or March 7.

UT cannot argue he just stopped by. It was a scheduled unofficial visit with the flights scheduled around the visit arriving the day before and leaving the last day or the day after. A flight using a booster’s plane.

UT cannot schedule an unofficial visit, with recruiting activities, when a third party pays for the trip. That has long been against the rules. It doesn’t matter if Nico went to Knoxville as part of a choir singing competition team or a Spyre client. As long as anyone but the recruit’s family or legal guardian are paying for the trip, there can be no recruiting activities planned.

Reactions: TartanTurff
They can be based on where a person lives, where a person attends class, stuff like that.

Lawyers can draw up anything

Unofficial visits where recruits are provided recruiting activities by the school cannot have transportation and lodging provided for by anyone other than the recruit’s family or legal guardian.

Nico is on the record talking about his March 4-6, 2022 unofficial visit to UT. He admitted in interviews meeting with the coaches, had photos taken with coaches, went to the UT-Arkansas basketball game.

Nico was not the only player on the trip. Jordan Anderson was as well. Anderson is now a commit to Oregon State.

The Tennessee Compliance department requires recruits and coaches to fill out an “Unofficial Visit Declarations form”. That form asks the recruit to declare who provided transportation and by what means. It requires details on lodging and that no meals were paid for. A coach must attest to having no knowledge of anything being paid for by anyone other than the recruit or the recruit’s family.

A booster flying Nico out to Knoxville on March 3. Nico spends March 4-6 on an unofficial visit at UT and flew back either March 6 or March 7.

UT cannot argue he just stopped by. It was a scheduled unofficial visit with the flights scheduled around the visit arriving the day before and leaving the last day or the day after. A flight using a booster’s plane.

UT cannot schedule an unofficial visit, with recruiting activities, when a third party pays for the trip. That has long been against the rules. It doesn’t matter if Nico went to Knoxville as part of a choir singing competition team or a Spyre client. As long as anyone but the recruit’s family or legal guardian are paying for the trip, there can be no recruiting activities planned.
Ya, we probably did that. And it may be against an NCAA rule. But that NCAA rule is illegal because it prohibits NIL activity. You can't say somebody can't do something after an NIL activity because in essence that is prohibiting an NIL activity. That's why we went straight to the courts.because it's an anti-trust violation.

This has been addressed. Has it been established that this was the specific weekend that Nico Iamaleava flew on a private jet to Knoxville? I didn't see any specific dates provided for that flight in The New York Times article.

In effect, Nico's parents did arrange his transportation to an UNOFFICIAL visit by signing off on his NIL agreement. All legal and arranged with legal representation not underwritten by UT. Once again, the hanging chad is call SPYRE a booster, because classifying the USAGE of a private jet as fruit of the poison tree is impossible to prove. Unless you got a travel voucher and text from Dan White, Plowman or Boyd seeking said contribution. Otherwise Krystal's or Jerry's Body Shop can't give a player a double cheese or patch up without sanctions.

Word on the street is Alabama is behind this investigation into Nico’s NIL deal with us. Does this surprise anyone ? Saban wanted Nico bad and despised the NIL it’s one of the main reasons he retired so nobody should be surprised that the Crimson mafia is behind this and trying to take us down. I mean they nearly did with one of their own in Pruitt. We need to go scorch earth immediately on the NCAA and Alabama.

Reactions: ttocswob
Ya, we probably did that. And it may be against an NCAA rule. But that NCAA rule is illegal because it prohibits NIL activity. You can't say somebody can't do something after an NIL activity because in essence that is prohibiting an NIL activity. That's why we went straight to the courts.because it's an anti-trust violation.

You are wrong. It has nothing to do with NIL activity.

It has to do with UT scheduling recruiting activities on an unofficial visit that was not paid for by a recruit’s family or legal guardian. Nico could have visited campus and that would have been fine. But once UT scheduled recruiting activities, it was against NCAA rules.

As I said, if he had a paid for choir competition in Knoxville, UT could not schedule recruiting activities. Unofficial visits have to be paid for by the recruit’s family. Otherwise it is an official visit. And Nico had an official visit two weeks later. Recruits can have only one official visit per school.

In effect, Nico's parents did arrange his transportation to an UNOFFICIAL visit by signing off on his NIL agreement. All legal and arranged with legal representation not underwritten by UT. Once again, the hanging chad is call SPYRE a booster, because classifying the USAGE of a private jet as fruit of the poison tree is impossible to prove. Unless you got a travel voucher and text from Dan White, Plowman or Boyd seeking said contribution. Otherwise Krystal's or Jerry's Body Shop can't give a player a double cheese or patch up without sanctions.

Wrong. Nico’s family did not pay for the trip. That is what is required under NCAA rules for an unofficial visit with planned recruiting activities.

Had there been no recruiting activities planned by UT then it would not matter.

Third parties cannot be involved in paying for any trip that also are an unofficial visit with recruiting activities.

VN Store

Back