UT not so bad in SEC 3 Pt %

Which ranks us 227/351 D1 teams for those wondering
And I STILL don't feel good about our 3pt shooting. I get that one or two hot shooting games CAN possibly higher our ranking, but once again, those games haven't happened and our current stat is still crappy. Comment is more for SD than you Bto

Yep, perfect example was the game taking place where we hit 5 of 11 from the three point line and raised our team % from 31 to 32.1%. When the new stats are calculated we will probably be very close to the mean. That means the last two games we have shot 51.7% from beyond the arc. Time will tell but by the end of the season, we could well be one of the best 3 point shooting teams in the SEC. Remember that 10 for 18 performance was in a hostile environment. The better ours gets, the less important our opponent's becomes. Not get that? :detective:

By your logic, Tn is the only team that has a chance to improve on shooting 3s. So what you are saying those 3s they hit last night , they needed every one of those to beat TTU ?

Don't quite understand how if we hit more three pointers than the other team, that is not related to the final score. Guess we should have won a bunch of those games where we lost that stat, huh?

You are not going to hit 3s all night , live by the 3 and die by the 3. Tn isn't going to win too many games trying to shoot 3s. Regardless of what you got going on in your mind.

Which ranks us 227/351 D1 teams for those wondering
Let me explain the point. We play in the SEC. After January we play the next 20 or so games against SEC teams. You doom and gloomers act like our three point shooting is horrible. The stats say it is better than half of the teams in our conference. Comprende?

We are about as good as half the conference in 3 pt %.
SEC 3 point %. Only 2 teams are over 37%. Seems like we are middle of the pack. Not likely we'll have a 13 point scorer hitting 8 of 11 threes for his team when we get into SEC play.
2015 Season
Arkansas - 42%
Vanderbilt - 41%
Texas A&M - 37.4%
Missouri - 36.7%
Florida - 35.2%
LSU - 32.9%
Alabama - 32.5%
Tennessee - 32.1%
Auburn - 32.1%
Georgia - 31.9%
Ole Miss - 31.8%
South Carolina - 29.7%
Kentucky - 29.3%
Miss State - 27.0%

Because we have two guys close to 50% who hardly play or make a difference. And our best shooters/scorers other than Rich have dismal 3pt%.

Let me explain the point. We play in the SEC. After January we play the next 20 or so games against SEC teams. You doom and gloomers act like our three point shooting is horrible. The stats say it is better than half of the teams in our conference. Comprende?

I don't see nearly as many people complaining about our 3 point shooting as complaining about our 3pt defense, capisce?

Reactions: 1 person
I don't see nearly as many people complaining about our 3 point shooting as complaining about our 3pt defense, capisce?

I guess that begs the question, would you rather have teams shooting from beyond the arc or in the paint? Most coaches would choose the former!

I guess that begs the question, would you rather have teams shooting from beyond the arc or in the paint? Most coaches would choose the former!

Not if they're averaging 38+% from beyond the arc you wouldn't, that equates to 57% from 2 which would be absolutely horrendous :thumbsup:

Coach T has said teams that play against him are forced into shooting 40 percent behind the arc. Not every team will have a player go off. The teams that have were our scheduling nightmares. Really need to judge our defense at end of season not nine games in. Stupid to do otherwise imo!

Coach T has said teams that play against him are forced into shooting 40 percent behind the arc. Not every team will have a player go off. The teams that have were our scheduling nightmares. Really need to judge our defense at end of season not nine games in. Stupid to do otherwise imo!
How?

SEC Team 3 point% Update 12-21
2015 Season

Arkansas - 41.5%
Vanderbilt - 39.2%
Texas A&M - 37.2%
Missouri - 35.8%
Florida - 34.3%
LSU - 32.9%
Alabama - 32.5%
Tennessee - 32.1%
Georgia - 31.9%
Ole Miss - 31.8%
Kentucky - 31.4%
Auburn - 31.2%
South Carolina - 29.7%
Miss State - 27.0%

AVG - 33.5%

SEC Team 3 point% Update 12-23
2015 Season

Arkansas - 41%
Vanderbilt - 39.3%
Texas A&M - 37.2%
Missouri - 35.8%
Florida - 34.3%
LSU - 34%
Tennessee - 32.9% (7th)
Ole Miss - 32.8%
Alabama - 32.5%
Georgia - 31.9%
Kentucky - 31.4%
Auburn - 31.2%
South Carolina - 29.7%
Miss State - 27.0%

AVG - 33.6%

SEC Team 3 point% Update 12-23
2015 Season

Arkansas - 41%
Vanderbilt - 39.3%
Texas A&M - 37.2%
Missouri - 35.8%
Florida - 34.3%
LSU - 34%
Tennessee - 32.9% (7th)
Ole Miss - 32.8%
Alabama - 32.5%
Georgia - 31.9%
Kentucky - 31.4%
Auburn - 31.2%
South Carolina - 29.7%
Miss State - 27.0%

AVG - 33.6%

And we are dead last (14th) in the conference and 310th nationally in 3pt percentage defense, allowing opponents to shoot 37.9%

Derek Reese shooting 46.7% from 3 on 7-15 attempted

Devon Baulkman shooting 52.3% from 3 on 10-19 attempted

Josh richardson is shooting 35.5% from 3 on 11-31 attempted

.... I'm not sure how accurate the others are. It says Armani Moore is 1-10 on 3 pt attempts, but I'm pretty positive he's hit more than one this year.

Last edited:
Tennessee is shooting .477 (21-of-44) from 3-point range over the last three games.
Devon Baulkman is 8-for-11 (.727) from 3-point range over UT's last three games and is averaging 14.0 ppg during that span.

SEC 3 point %. Only
After knocking down 13 against TSU we are now 5th of 14, right at top 1/3 upper tier, a full % point above average.
2015 Season

Arkansas - 41%
Vanderbilt - 39.3%
Texas A&M - 37.2%
Missouri - 35.8%
Tennessee - 34.8% (5th)
Florida - 34.3%
LSU - 34%
Ole Miss - 32.8%
Alabama - 32.5%
Kentucky - 32.1%
Auburn - 31%
Georgia - 30.2%
South Carolina - 29.7%
Miss State - 27.6%

AVG - 33.7%

SEC 3 point %. Only
After knocking down 13 against TSU we are now 5th of 14, right at top 1/3 upper tier, a full % point above average.
2015 Season

Arkansas - 41%
Vanderbilt - 39.3%
Texas A&M - 37.2%
Missouri - 35.8%
Tennessee - 34.8% (5th)
Florida - 34.3%
LSU - 34%
Ole Miss - 32.8%
Alabama - 32.5%
Kentucky - 32.1%
Auburn - 31%
Georgia - 30.2%
South Carolina - 29.7%
Miss State - 27.6%

AVG - 33.7%

It's great that they are improving, but I'm more concerned about the opponents 3 pt%. just too many open looks.

It's great that they are improving, but I'm more concerned about the opponents 3 pt%. just too many open looks.
That's our defense, run 'em late into the shot clock and make them shoot from at least 20 3/4 feet. Donnie Tyndall has always said that teams shoot 40% of their shots from beyond the arc. It's also why we don't score as many points. The other team takes up all the time! :)
PS Look at it this way. We should cancel out the 3 point shooting of 9 of the 14 SEC teams. Stats don't lie!

Last edited:
That's our defense, run 'em late into the shot clock and make them shoot from at least 20 3/4 feet. Donnie Tyndall has always said that teams shoot 40% of their shots from beyond the arc. It's also why we don't score as many points. The other team takes up all the time! :)
PS Look at it this way. We should cancel out the 3 point shooting of 9 of the 14 SEC teams. Stats don't lie!

The stats say teams shoot better from 3 against us than what they typically do against their opponents, so if the SEC average is 33.7% you're looking at history suggesting SEC opponents average about 38% from 3 against us which is right on track with what we allow on average.

The stats say teams shoot better from 3 against us than what they typically do against their opponents, so if the SEC average is 33.7% you're looking at history suggesting SEC opponents average about 38% from 3 against us which is right on track with what we allow on average.

Well, if it ain't Mr. Tennessee Basketball Doomsday himself! Hey, we're 7-4 did you notice?

Absolutely, gotta get the last W, 8-4 would be solid OOC.

I'm not sure if you're being sarcastic, but if you looked at the schedule at the beginning of the year, 8-4 seems pretty good with a couple of solid wins against Butler and K-State. The only game I wish we had a do over would be Marquette.

But ETSU will not be easy. It will be similar to the Mercer game.

I'm not sure if you're being sarcastic, but if you looked at the schedule at the beginning of the year, 8-4 seems pretty good with a couple of solid wins against Butler and K-State. The only game I wish we had a do over would be Marquette.

You gotta watch this one. He's tricky. ETSU is #11 in the country in 3 point % at 41.2%. He's hoping we lose to make his point. I will be honest. I am an ETSU grad and will be happy with either result!

No I was dead serious, would've signed up for 8-4 preseason.

Might be gullible today, but I think he was serious. 8-4 for a thrown together squad is very impressive. Imo

VN Store

Back