UT Defense 2 Deep - Early View

agree other than 2 big errors:

Gooden will 110% be behind Phillips and most likely others

Will Ignont will be in the 2 deep at LB AND sapp will be at olb

completely disagree on Gooden, he was brought in to help the DL immediately, he will start day one of spring camp on the D line opposite Kongbo most likely. What have we seen of Phillips that would indicate he could be a starting DE in the SEC? All he as been good for here are injuries and slow play along with never setting an edge, ever.

completely disagree on Gooden, he was brought in to help the DL immediately, he will start day one of spring camp on the D line opposite Kongbo most likely. What have we seen of Phillips that would indicate he could be a starting DE in the SEC? All he as been good for here are injuries and slow play along with never setting an edge, ever.

They’ve force fed Phillips as a 4-3 DT and he’s not a force as a 4-3 DE. With a little more weight, I think he’ll show out at 3-4 DE. Basing anything off of “what have we seen” is cheating ourselves. Numerous cases of miscast athletes in that weak 4-2-5 not to mention having our best DB hobnobbing on the bench at WR.

Reactions: 1 person
agree other than 2 big errors:

Gooden will 110% be behind Phillips and most likely others

Will Ignont will be in the 2 deep at LB AND sapp will be at olb

Gooden was brought in to start at NT .. he will be closer to 315-320 once fall camp hits

I think Gooden will see a lot of playing time. CJP has said we were too little and he wants big linemen on defense. Gooden is bigger than most of our DE and NT players and fits the mold. There will a lot depth need on the entire DL to prevent fatigue, so I can see the need to play three deep at the DEL positions.

The coaches will all need glasses by mid-May after watching 100s of hours of film trying to piece together a top-half defense in the SEC. We have "unknowns", "knowns but injury prone", "knowns who lack work ethic" and "knowns who are at the top of their position at UT" - but probably not Ala, UF, UGA, LSU or Aub.

Hate to be pessimistic but it's been a while since we've seen a defense that can run with the elite programs in the SEC.

CB situation is a concern. Hope Byrd is a quick learner.

Those guys help predicate how much blitzing the team can do. If they need help covering, then there is less blitzing.

Also not feeling great about the depth up front.

None of that is Pruitt's fault but I don't expect the defense to be a strength next season given the depth issues and a new system.

I think our 3-4 will be good against spread teams, but I hope Pruitt has a 4-3 in his back pocket for the running teams like UGA, AU, and UA. I still have nightmares of the Sunseri 3-4.

Huh?
Bama runs a 3-4. How many years do they finish in the top 5 against the run?

The problem WAS Sunseri. The personnel on defense is better than then as well.

Reactions: 2 people
I said this in another thread earlier. I don't think we have proven, quality depth. We're one or two injuries away from losing quality production. We can't just rely on a 2 deep. That's not enough.

How many of the starting 11 would start at bama , uga, or auburn?, How many of the 2nd team 11 would be on the 2 deep at the same schools.?

My prediction is that we will have a top 5 SEC defense this year, which will be a massive improvement over one of the worst defenses in TN history vs the run.

Here is my early 2 deep: (without any of this years signing class besides Gooden)

DE Gooden 295/ Butler 285
DT Tuttle 310/ Alexis Johnson 305
DE Kongbo 280/ Phillips 280

OLB Austin Smith 240/ Jordan Allen 240
ILB Bituli 235/ Sapp 230
ILB Kirkland 235/ Bates 230
OLB D.Taylor 250/ Deandre Johnson 255

CB Shamburger/ Buchanan
CB Bird/ Labruzza
Nickel Osboure/ Bailey
S Abernathy/ Todd Kelly
S Warrior/ Theo Jackson

So we should have a legit 3-4 deep with our signing class with legit SEC size and speed. We won't be dominant but we have a chance to be really good IMO...we hv to get bigger at DE, and make big improvements with our DBs. Our LBs will be the strength of the defense.
Would love to see someone step up and take Abernathy's spot. Good kid, but lacks speed.

Not going to argue the stars or talent on defense but in order to have a good defense you have to have some offense. When your not too deep on defense you have to have some rest. OUr offense was terrible last year. Can one of our qbs step it up? Can our offensive line block someone? Can our wrs get open? Those are our biggest questions.

I’ve never seen a 3-4 work at Tennessee. They’ve never had the LB’s with the lateral range, probably more to the point the position coaching assumes a lot and doesn’t coach position discipline enough to see it on the field. They most times look lost, slow, and basic tackling just isn’t there. Also any TE with skill have looked unstoppable. That said hopefully the new staff recognizes this and coaches position by position discipline and tackling quality up and our players are athletic enough to make it work. After being taught they have to see it works and believe in it before they’ll become effective in the new look.

I’ve never seen a 3-4 work at Tennessee. They’ve never had the LB’s with the lateral range, probably more to the point the position coaching assumes a lot and doesn’t coach position discipline enough to see it on the field. They most times look lost, slow, and basic tackling just isn’t there. Also any TE with skill have looked unstoppable. That said hopefully the new staff recognizes this and coaches position by position discipline and tackling quality up and our players are athletic enough to make it work. After being taught they have to see it works and believe in it before they’ll become effective in the new look.

Worked for the Sugar Vols...in spades! You’re right about the teacher tho. They had Ken Donahue.

Whats the learning curve time? As I remember most times it takes a year to get it down. Even Saban didn't have bama firing on all cylinders till year 3, maybe year 4. I don't think Tenns players will truly understand the system until year 2 at best, and that will be a huge rebuild yr due to a large SR class this coming year..

Learning curve depends on the players ability to absorb the teaching, the position coaches ability to teach. If all goes well and the players do have the athletic abilities one off season should be enough.

Whats the learning curve time? As I remember most times it takes a year to get it down. Even Saban didn't have bama firing on all cylinders till year 3, maybe year 4. I don't think Tenns players will truly understand the system until year 2 at best, and that will be a huge rebuild yr due to a large SR class this coming year..

WTF...bammer was undefeated in the regular season in 2008, Saban's second year at bammer. They were firing on all cylinders, to be sure.

I think Petersen could crack the top two of the LB rotation.

What about Ignont at LB? Is he considered a lost cause?

VN Store

Back