UT Defense 2 Deep - Early View

How many of the starting 11 would start at bama , uga, or auburn?, How many of the 2nd team 11 would be on the 2 deep at the same schools.?

tough to really answer that. but id say Warrior definately, tuttle bituli DK TKwould have a chance to start. taylor phillips sapp abernathy would probably be in there 2 deep. newcomers and corners to tough to tell at this point obviously

Kongbo needs to get better, quick. I know many here love him, but to me, he always looked out of position and rarely made any big plays. I think he’d be better inside. He doesn’t appear to have the quickness and athleticism for DE.

Last I heard, Kongbo was moving over to LB...OLB I think.

Reactions: 2 people
My prediction is that we will have a top 5 SEC defense this year, which will be a massive improvement over one of the worst defenses in TN history vs the run.

Here is my early 2 deep: (without any of this years signing class besides Gooden)

DE Gooden 295/ Butler 285
DT Tuttle 310/ Alexis Johnson 305
DE Kongbo 280/ Phillips 280

OLB Austin Smith 240/ Jordan Allen 240
ILB Bituli 235/ Sapp 230
ILB Kirkland 235/ Bates 230
OLB D.Taylor 250/ Deandre Johnson 255

CB Shamburger/ Buchanan
CB Bird/ Labruzza
Nickel Osboure/ Bailey
S Abernathy/ Todd Kelly
S Warrior/ Theo Jackson

So we should have a legit 3-4 deep with our signing class with legit SEC size and speed. We won't be dominant but we have a chance to be really good IMO...we hv to get bigger at DE, and make big improvements with our DBs. Our LBs will be the strength of the defense.

On paper, not a bad D. Pruitt right about being small. Our DL will be a challenge...AGAIN, unless we can get some of the new guys in the rotation.

It's not too far fetched to think that some of the smaller, quicker DEs could get some LB reps...

Learning curve depends on the players ability to absorb the teaching, the position coaches ability to teach. If all goes well and the players do have the athletic abilities one off season should be enough.

I'm sorry but that's completely wrong my friend.

The 3-4 D is actually the best D there is but it's VERY complex and detailed and very hard to learn everything about it.

These kids are in college so they have classes and grades to keep up if they want to stay on the field.

In the NFL the ONLY thing they have to do is stay in shape and LEARN everything about the 3-4 D for their position.

Because it's so complex and detailed it even takes NFL players 2 or 3 years to learn everything to the point they're playing fast naturally and not slowed down to think if they're doing it correctly.

Another BIG problem is trying to find enough really good coaches that really know all the details of the 3-4 and are also great teachers to help the players learn it faster and to be more precise on every scheme.

hen you MUST have the right type of player for every position and in the NfL they can hire players in free agency and draft guys that have 3-4 experience in college to get the roster right faster.

That's 1 reason that so many Bama players get drafted higher, 3-4 experience and training from nick saTan and his staff.

The only way Tennessee can get the player roster right for a solid 2 deep in a 3-4 is to try to recruit them and that's going to take us a few years to get everything going with a solid 3-4 D but when we get it going right we'll be VERY hard to move the ball on and score.

It's going to be rough for awhile so we have to learn to be patient and Vols fans aren't well known for doing that.

VFL...GBO!!!

Reactions: 1 person
I mean we couldn’t crack top 90 in total defense last season. I’m sure we will AT LEAST improve a little bit.

I think we need to remember that 2017 team was the absolute worst Tennessee team that’s ever snapped a football. There will be a little improvement just from having a man that actually knows what the game of football actually is as our HC.

I wouldn’t expect to be top 30 or anything like that. But I think Tennessee will be around 50ish in the nation in total D. That right there by itself will look like warp speed to all of us that have been watching Butchfense for the past 3-4 years.

I can see us top 30. Last year was a lot of bad coaching. There’s talent on that defense. The team just gave up towards the end of the year.

I hope Tuttle is at DE and Gooden at NG. I just see Tuttle as being more disruptive and quicker off the snap. Don’t want that wasted taking on double teams inside all day.

Also I think Gray pushes Osbourne for the Nickel spot. You want a big guy there because he’s replacing a lb when the nickel comes into the game. That’s why Gaulden was so good. Quick enough to cover, physical enough to play in the box.

I hope Tuttle is at DE and Gooden at NG. I just see Tuttle as being more disruptive and quicker off the snap. Don’t want that wasted taking on double teams inside all day.

Also I think Gray pushes Osbourne for the Nickel spot. You want a big guy there because he’s replacing a lb when the nickel comes into the game. That’s why Gaulden was so good. Quick enough to cover, physical enough to play in the box.
Osborne has been on a milk carton

How many of the starting 11 would start at bama , uga, or auburn?, How many of the 2nd team 11 would be on the 2 deep at the same schools.?

Look at how many were recruited by those schools.

The only two just declared early. Gaulden and Kmac.
Tuttle would have a chance if not injury plagued.

Kongbo needs to get better, quick. I know many here love him, but to me, he always looked out of position and rarely made any big plays. I think he’d be better inside. He doesn’t appear to have the quickness and athleticism for DE.

JK overran to many plays and that’s what put him out of position so often. I think he can be fine physically but the mental side is his nemesis. Comes from a good family where he’s expected to succeed so for his mom and dads sake I hope he breaks out this year.

They’ve force fed Phillips as a 4-3 DT and he’s not a force as a 4-3 DE. With a little more weight, I think he’ll show out at 3-4 DE. Basing anything off of “what have we seen” is cheating ourselves. Numerous cases of miscast athletes in that weak 4-2-5 not to mention having our best DB hobnobbing on the bench at WR.

Hoping you are correct. I really hope CJP can come in and really coach these guys up. Gooden should be a great addition to our DL, i'm still not sold on Phillips yet, time will tell.

My prediction is that we will have a top 5 SEC defense this year, which will be a massive improvement over one of the worst defenses in TN history vs the run.

Here is my early 2 deep: (without any of this years signing class besides Gooden)

ILB Bituli 235/ Sapp 230

CB Shamburger/ Buchanan
CB Bird/ Labruzza
Nickel Osboure/ Bailey
S Abernathy/ Todd Kelly
S Warrior/ Theo Jackson

So we should have a legit 3-4 deep with our signing class with legit SEC size and speed. We won't be dominant but we have a chance to be really good IMO...we hv to get bigger at DE, and make big improvements with our DBs. Our LBs will be the strength of the defense.

A few corrections.
1. Gooden was brought in to play NT. If he picks it up quickly look for one of the other NT's to move over to the OL.
2. Kongbo and Phillips will be the starting ends unless someone steps up. Look for Butler and Bennett to be the backups starting out.
3. I think Allen starts ahead of Smith
4. Replace Bates with Peterson
5. Expect to see Gray in the safety rotation

I think Petersen could crack the top two of the LB rotation.

What about Ignont at LB? Is he considered a lost cause?

"I think Petersen could crack the top two of the LB rotation."

Please tell me you're not basing this on star ratings or highlight films.. He is 17 years old, hasn't even turned 18 yet.

"I think Petersen could crack the top two of the LB rotation."

Please tell me you're not basing this on star ratings or highlight films.. He is 17 years old, hasn't even turned 18 yet.

I'd imagine the reason anyone believes this has less to do with recruiting rankings and more to do with the uninspiring play of most of our linebackers.

That being said he's playing behind the two backers who actually have shown they can do well in spite of the rest of the defense. He'll get plenty of action but he shouln't be a starter this year unless Kirkland or Bituli get hurt.

ILB Bituli 235/ Sapp 230

CB Shamburger/ Buchanan
CB Bird/ Labruzza
Nickel Osboure/ Bailey
S Abernathy/ Todd Kelly
S Warrior/ Theo Jackson

Bates is still on the team? I thought he would have been let go by now.

The only way I see this being a top 5 defense is if our DL is dominant and getting sacks and TFL consistently. Our CBs are scary, and not in the good way. And they aren't gonna be getting a lot of help unless Pruitt tones down the attacking nature of his defense, and then are we really getting a Jeremy Pruitt defense?

Based on what?

Assuming you are referring to my Ignont question, there was a comment in another thread on this site that seemed to question whether he would ever contribute.

That, and I don't understand why he's not on the list but Bates is.

Assuming you are referring to my Ignont question, there was a comment in another thread on this site that seemed to question whether he would ever contribute.

That, and I don't understand why he's not on the list but Bates is.

I never use questions from posters as a basis for my opinions. Or omissions from UTSports.com. :)

I still can't get past the thread title.

"Dedense"

Thought we might be talking about de' dense folk on this board.

Can we clean this up, maybe?

D4H says Tennessee will have the 1st or 2nd best defense in the SEC and be top 10 nationally.

I think that we will have the number 1 and number 2 defense in the SEC. The starters will be number 1 and the second string will be the second best in the SEC.

Reactions: 2 people

VN Store

Back