Unofficial TN v next SEC opponent pre-game

That’s easy to say, but I think we can still win even w/o a good game from Turner. It’s evident we can, and right now I don’t trust him esp w this matchup

Too bad we really can't go big yet. Maybe down the road Walker, Fulkerson, and Kent improve enough to be able to do that.

Turner's potentially a turnover waiting to happen versus a guard oriented opponent. But, if he does play poorly on offense his rebounding and defense could offset it.

I think the lineup w Daniel and Bone in at the same time can be effective against Arkansas. Which I hope would mean less of Turner in this one. He stunk against them last year and I feel like we can't afford the turnovers.

They should be getting majority of minutes in most games at PG.

I think the lineup w Daniel and Bone in at the same time can be effective against Arkansas. Which I hope would mean less of Turner in this one. He stunk against them last year and I feel like we can't afford the turnovers.

Daniel Bone...
With eyes like an eagle
And as tall as a mountain was he (and he)!

They are brave, they are fearless
And as tough as a mighty oak tree!

Yeah we got it down to 5 midway through the second half but then they went on a run and we had to start fouling late.

Maye couldn’t miss that day.

Barford had 4 fouls, but he also played 27 minutes (when averaging 29) so I assume he picked some of those up late while intentionally fouling.

Interested to see if we try to run with Arky or try to slow it down.

We better not try and run. Limit their possessions, defend the paint, force outside shots, and keep them below 40% shooting.

If they beat us from outside, so be it.

Reactions: 1 person
Interested to see if we try to run with Arky or try to slow it down.

Or vice versa.

I doubt that TN will refrain from pushing the ball when they have those opportunities. But on defense will TN press at all or just harass their PG full court? They almost always put some pressure on the ball... actually maybe TN always picks up the ball at at least 3/4 court.

I think that both teams will try to push the ball on offense and prevent the other from quickly taking the ball to the hoop. The question is how well they'll execute.

Looking at Arkansas a bit...

In their 2 losses (North Carolina & Houston) Arkansas averaged 66.5ppg, in their 10 wins they’ve averaged 94.7ppg.

In their 2 losses Arkansas has shot 36%, in their 10 wins they’ve shot 53%.

In their 2 losses Arkansas has shot 33% from deep, in their 10 wins they’ve shot 43% from deep.

In their 2 losses Arkansas has turned their opponent over an average of 13 times each game, in their 10 wins they’ve turned their opponent over an average of 17 times each game.

I know nothing earth shattering, they shoot better and score more in wins than losses, but it just really shows the 2 different teams they can be. IMO the first 4-8 minutes is huge, can Tennessee come out and set the tone defensively and frustrate Arkansas early...if they do that it’s a great sign imo. If Arkansas comes out and is getting up and down and on pace to score 90, even if Tennessee is matching them, I don’t like our chances.

How disruptive will the refs be? Whistling Williams on the opening tip at Wake Forest was bizarre and they kept up a rapid pace for most of the first half. Luckily TN had depth that Wake couldn't match.

How disruptive will the refs be? Whistling Williams on the opening tip at Wake Forest was bizarre and they kept up a rapid pace for most of the first half. Luckily TN had depth that Wake couldn't match.

It was bizarre, but a good call. Kudos to Manning, if he in fact saw something on tape that led him to alert the refs to be watching for it.

The beautiful thing, and somebody correct me if I’m off here, we SHOULD be one of if not THE toughest defensive challenge teams like Arkansas have saw so far.

We better not try and run. Limit their possessions, defend the paint, force outside shots, and keep them below 40% shooting.

If they beat us from outside, so be it.
They beat us from 3/ the FT line last year, lets hope we don’t send them to line that many times this year.

Yup...very possible that’s the highest line we will see rest of the year, really hope we don’t see the drive-by’s tomorrow if Vols lose.

I think UT wins tomorrow, but if they don't, I guarantee the BBF will be bombarded with the drive-by's

Hogs will likely win this one.

I agree, but as you know these are the types of game you gotta win to get to the big show. we've lost to two ranked teams, hopefully our guys aren't as intimidated by good records as they are by rankings.

Last edited:
I agree, but as you know these are the types of game you gotta win to get to the big show. we've lost to two ranked teams, hopefully our guys aren't as intimidated by good records as they are by rankings.

No it’s not?

This is likely the toughest game left on our schedule, there is little shame in losing this one on the road, unless you were expecting an 18-0 conference record.

VN Store

Back