• We've had an issue with our name servers today that may be affecting a number of users from accessing the site.

Underdiscussed Issue

If it was a crap hire then yes. Otherwise it could come off as being prepared.

You have to assume this Gruden mania has definitely played a role. Until he says yes or no, why would he do anything besides remain quiet?

I'd like to think that the UT position is one that candidates would be willing to wait for without just taking the first deal they are offered.

He's apparently waiting until New York to do his interviews. My point is that the things he has seemingly been doing for 11 days are things that could have been done prior to now when we are competing with 3 other SEC schools for coaches.

You don't know what he has been doing! Nobody does and for all these "insiders" who are reporting the crap it is just ridiculous. Honestly, outside of the same people who have put these thousands of posts the entire fan base isn't in a complete frenzy. Do we want Gruden, hell yeah we do. But I get on here to read what my fellow vols fans have to say and it is continuously some random username saying "I don't post on here much, but I know a man who knows a man that said this." It's mostly ALL LIES. It's just frustrating because these trolls have no idea the effect they are having on people's lives (it's sad that it can get like that but trust me I'm guilty of it too). We all want to believe every word we hear but at the end of the day regardless if we get Gruden or not, we look just as stupid as the Arkansas fans did on their site because we will literally believe ANYTHING.

You have to assume this Gruden mania has definitely played a role. Until he says yes or no, why would he do anything besides remain quiet?

I'd like to think that the UT position is one that candidates would be willing to wait for without just taking the first deal they are offered.

Because you can use the situation and the media to your advantage. If reports get out that Gruden has been offered 8 years and $58 mil and maybe even shares of a NFL team in some capacity and none of that is true and then you don't get Gruden...then the next guy on your list has to be wondering why you're offering 4 years and $18 mil when they know they can milk you for more.

You don't know what he has been doing! Nobody does and for all these "insiders" who are reporting the crap it is just ridiculous. Honestly, outside of the same people who have put these thousands of posts the entire fan base isn't in a complete frenzy. Do we want Gruden, hell yeah we do. But I get on here to read what my fellow vols fans have to say and it is continuously some random username saying "I don't post on here much, but I know a man who knows a man that said this." It's mostly ALL LIES. It's just frustrating because these trolls have no idea the effect they are having on people's lives (it's sad that it can get like that but trust me I'm guilty of it too). We all want to believe every word we hear but at the end of the day regardless if we get Gruden or not, we look just as stupid as the Arkansas fans did on their site because we will literally believe ANYTHING.

Did you actually read what I've written? I'm not claiming to have any insider info and certainly not trolling anything.

I'm just saying that the longer everyone is completely in the dark, the more people will be getting trolled and frustrated and upset like you're saying you are. I just think there has to be a better way to handle this from a PR perspective than the way it is being handled.

Even if they just slip out a bunch of smoke screen nonsense.

Fair enough. And I'm not trying to just come on here and raise hell but as someone who studied Sport Management at the University of Tennessee I just don't understand his logic from a PR perspective.

The logic is that he is keeping Tennessee from being embarrassed by being turned down repeatedly and publicly this time. Not knowing what the AD is doing sucks. Knowing that the AD is down to the seventh or eighth name on his list because the coaches at TCU and Air Force turned us down sucks a lot more.

...or.....they know who the head coach is..... they MEANT to keep a lid on it, the smoke from here and other places got hot enough they needed to fizz it out some to buy more time....

There may be multiple buisiness considerations for keeping it quiet for now.....but why search if you already know who.

As much as Fans may feel their need to know trumps all...it's not the biggest consideration for AD.

Because you can use the situation and the media to your advantage. If reports get out that Gruden has been offered 8 years and $58 mil and maybe even shares of a NFL team in some capacity and none of that is true and then you don't get Gruden...then the next guy on your list has to be wondering why you're offering 4 years and $18 mil when they know they can milk you for more.

What? Why would you use the media to have a candidate extort you for more money?

Fair enough. And I'm not trying to just come on here and raise hell but as someone who studied Sport Management at the University of Tennessee I just don't understand his logic from a PR perspective.

Because Hart is calling Gruden's (or his agent') bluff and letting them approach UT. You don't release factual details when you're bluffing.

The logic is that he is keeping Tennessee from being embarrassed by being turned down repeatedly and publicly this time. Not knowing what the AD is doing sucks. Knowing that the AD is down to the seventh or eighth name on his list because the coaches at TCU and Air Force turned us down sucks a lot more.

You and I both know the timing of this hire is completely different as is the state of the athletic department. The job may still be considered a dumpster fire but it's way less of one than it was last time too.

It's also his job to sell the candidates on the position and ensuring that they will have everything they need. If he is getting turned down by the Air Force coach this time around then he needs to find a new job.

I don't need a play by play, I just think a reassurance isn't unreasonable.

...or.....they know who the head coach is..... they MEANT to keep a lid on it, the smoke from here and other places got hot enough they needed to fizz it out some to buy more time....

There may be multiple buisiness considerations for keeping it quiet for now.....but why search if you already know who.

As much as Fans may feel their need to know trumps all...it's not the biggest consideration for AD.

The only semi-plausible reason to wait to announce something already done would be to steal some thunder during the SEC Championship festivities. And if you make a legitimate hire that's going to happen anyway.

What kind of "business considerations" could there possibly be?

You and I both know the timing of this hire is completely different as is the state of the athletic department. The job may still be considered a dumpster fire but it's way less of one than it was last time too.

It's also his job to sell the candidates on the position and ensuring that they will have everything they need. If he is getting turned down by the Air Force coach this time around then he needs to find a new job.

I don't need a play by play, I just think a reassurance isn't unreasonable.

I'm at a loss as to imagine what sort of reassurance he could give without actually tipping his hand about whom he's targeting. What else is there to share?

Gruden hype has exploded way beyond Internet message boards. My 90 year old grandpa was talking about Gruden to UT. Hart needed to squash the rumors a long time ago, because he will have disappointed fans and recruits now if he doesn't hire Gruden, and that means lower ticket sales, lost recruits, and less fanbase tolerance for anything but championships.

Reactions: 2 people
What is Hart going to say?..."I can't believe those idiots really believe Gruden is having a meeting in his Hertz rental car."

Gruden hype has exploded way beyond Internet message boards. My 90 year old grandpa was talking about Gruden to UT. Hart needed to squash the rumors a long time ago, because he will have disappointed fans and recruits now if he doesn't hire Gruden, and that means lower ticket sales, lost recruits, and less fanbase tolerance for anything but championships.

Are TN people really to stupid to figure out that it's same people going around posting the same stuff about Gruden on Arkansas and Auburn boards?

First off, you're running on the assumption that these "rumors", which is all they are at this point, are true. It's Harts job to find a coach or assist in finding a coach, not to cater to the wants and needs of a group of anxious, crazed fans. Hart doesn't owe you anything.

VN Store

Back