Underdiscussed Issue

RockyTop572

Speaker of truth.
I think it's interesting that no one has really mentioned the "back pocket" list of 5 names that most AD's supposedly keep for these situations. We didn't just stumble into this situation over night and I feel we should be further along in the process than where we are.

When Dave Hart took an AD job that came with Derek Dooley as his head coach he should have been doing a lot of the legwork way before now. The fact that he supposedly hasn't left Knoxville yet because he's been working things out is ridiculous.

Kentucky has known for a good while they too were going to be replacing their coach and went out and got their guy right away. Our job is obviously more high profile, I just don't understand this perceived lackadaisical approach it appears is being taken.

Dave Hart may shock us all and pull off a solid hire (whether it's Gruden or not) but from a PR standpoint he doesn't seem to understand his responsibilities very well.

Reactions: 2 people
That's an assessment we will be able to make AFTER the hire. I trust Hart until he gives me a reason not to.

Dave hart doesn't owe any of us anything..the season isn't over for some coaches...give it a rest already....***** after he makes a hire...

Reactions: 1 person
Dave Hart may shock us all and pull off a solid hire (whether it's Gruden or not) but from a PR standpoint he doesn't seem to understand his responsibilities very well.

Who created the Gruden hype (thus PR standpoint)? It wasn't the UTAD.

I agree, you would think they would say something, maybe not say names, but atleast say they are doing something.

There was a statement made on talk radio today that said that "Hart is a real AD.... Not a fundraiser like Hamilton was.. Hart is the real deal."

I will reserve my judgement until after the hire is made, maybe even after next season.

That's an assessment we will be able to make AFTER the hire. I trust Hart until he gives me a reason not to.

That's fair. And while we really don't KNOW anything it just seems like expectations from the fan base aren't being handled very effectively.

I don't really know what I would do in his situation to settle people but that's why I don't have a job like his. I do know that doing nothing isn't working.

Who created the Gruden hype (thus PR standpoint)? It wasn't the UTAD.

No but if he wants fan support it's his job to manage the Gruden hype to some degree. Right now the only person profiting off of it is Gruden.

If you're going to let the rumors exist, at least use them to your advantage and get the university in the mainstream media more.

I think they assume most people know they are not just sitting on their hands doing nothing

Hart spent the day calling our 3 star recruits trying to keep them on board. That's essentially sitting on your hands when your job is to go find someone who will bring in 4 and 5 star recruits.

I think it's interesting that no one has really mentioned the "back pocket" list of 5 names that most AD's supposedly keep for these situations. We didn't just stumble into this situation over night and I feel we should be further along in the process than where we are.

When Dave Hart took an AD job that came with Derek Dooley as his head coach he should have been doing a lot of the legwork way before now. The fact that he supposedly hasn't left Knoxville yet because he's been working things out is ridiculous.

Kentucky has known for a good while they too were going to be replacing their coach and went out and got their guy right away. Our job is obviously more high profile, I just don't understand this perceived lackadaisical approach it appears is being taken.

You have apparently forgotten how embarrassing it was for Tennessee to be repeatedly turned down by coach after coach last time we did this. We certainly knew what Hamilton was doing last time, didn't we?

Hart is apparently vastly better at keeping the process under wraps, which is better for everybody. We have no idea how far along in the process he is. All I know for sure is that Hart's not gone 11 days without doing anything.

I'm behind Dave Hart and this University 100% with or without Gruden. Did you guys hear his PC after Dooley got fired? He's a smart man and I truly believe he'll make the best decision possible for the team, fan base, etc. He knows he can't mess this up. He doesn't have any wiggle room. It's now or never for him. GBO!!

You have apparently forgotten how embarrassing it was for Tennessee to be repeatedly turned down by coach after coach last time we did this. We certainly knew what Hamilton was doing last time, didn't we?

Hart is apparently vastly better at keeping the process under wraps, which is better for everybody. We have no idea how far along in the process he is. All I know for sure is that Hart's not gone 11 days without doing anything.

He's apparently waiting until New York to do his interviews. My point is that the things he has seemingly been doing for 11 days are things that could have been done prior to now when we are competing with 3 other SEC schools for coaches.

He's apparently waiting until New York to do his interviews. My point is that the things he has seemingly been doing for 11 days are things that could have been done prior to now when we are competing with 3 other SEC schools for coaches.

You see those two words? They're pretty important.

I have no idea what Hart's been up to, and neither do you. But there's no chance that he's just been sitting in his office sharpening pencils for 11 days.

Before interviews I'd imagine that discussions with agents take place. There has to be gauging of interest before interviewing takes place... Hart isn't just hanging out in Knoxville.

Before interviews I'd imagine that discussions with agents take place. There has to be gauging of interest before interviewing takes place... Hart isn't just hanging out in Knoxville.

Actual interviews are the least important part of the college coach-hiring process.

How do you know what he is, and has, been doing?

You see those two words? They're pretty important.

I have no idea what Hart's been up to, and neither do you. But there's no chance that he's just been sitting in his office sharpening pencils for 11 days.

Fair enough. And I'm not trying to just come on here and raise hell but as someone who studied Sport Management at the University of Tennessee I just don't understand his logic from a PR perspective.

VN Store

Back