UCF National Championship Parade

Hey UCF, beating the third or 4th best team in the SEC doesn’t make you national champions. Maybe next time you will learn to schedule a couple of power 5 schools. Maryland? Hah!

Parade | UCFSports.com

To be fair to those in charge, they did schedule another one before Mother Nature said “that’s not happening on my watch”

I still don't get how BYU won a national title in 1984. If we didn't have a CFP, I'm almost certain that somebody would have recognized UCF as champs.

Different game then, wasn't it? BYU beat 1 ranked team all year and beat a 6-5 Michigan team in the Holiday Bowl...but they were the only undefeated team.

I still don't get how BYU won a national title in 1984. If we didn't have a CFP, I'm almost certain that somebody would have recognized UCF as champs.

BYU beat the number 3 team in the country Pittsburgh to start off the season and entered the top 25 near the top 10 and then slowly moved up as other teams lost. They topped it off by beating Michigan to become National Champions. UCF would have had a good chance as well this year under the same scenario.

Based on their ranking, I doubt it..

Different game then, wasn't it? BYU beat 1 ranked team all year and beat a 6-5 Michigan team in the Holiday Bowl...but they were the only undefeated team.

Yep, and back then the WAC champion was contractually obligated to go to the Holiday Bowl. Washington was #2 and the Holiday Bowl invited them but Washington turned it down and went to the Orange Bowl.

BYU did beat #3 Pitt at Pitt to start the year and that pretty much set them up for the rest of the season. The problem is Pitt turned out to be horrible that year, ending 3-7-1.

Washington is considered the "real" NC by most that year, and they didn't win the Pac-10 outright; they were co-champs with USC but USC beat them head to head and got the Rose Bowl bid.

Yep, and back then the WAC champion was contractually obligated to go to the Holiday Bowl. Washington was #2 and the Holiday Bowl invited them but Washington turned it down and went to the Orange Bowl.

BYU did beat #3 Pitt at Pitt to start the year and that pretty much set them up for the rest of the season. The problem is Pitt turned out to be horrible that year, ending 3-7-1.

Washington is considered the "real" NC by most that year, and they didn't win the Pac-10 outright; they were co-champs with USC but USC beat them head to head and got the Rose Bowl bid.

...and people complain about the system we have now.

The CFP is much better than the BCS, the BCS was much better than the Bowl Coalition/Alliance, and the Bowl Coalition/Alliance was better than...nothing.

This is incredible to believe now, but before 1992, there wasn't even a specific effort made to make #1 and #2 (by however method you want to determine who those teams are) play each other, or even force #1 and #2 to play in separate "big" bowl games at the end of the season.

In 1984 for example, as you said, BYU as the WAC champ was contractually obligated to play in the Holiday Bowl. The Holiday Bowl was/still is a mediocre bowl, so as the champ of a small conference they were matched up against a mediocre team from a big conference. There wasn't a damn thing anybody could do about it. Can you imagine if that system still existed today? I think the internet would melt down.

Reactions: 1 person
I still don't get how BYU won a national title in 1984.

They didn’t really have anyone else to give it to. Washington was probably the best team, but didn’t even win the P10 outright and didn’t get to play in the rose bowl. If OU had beaten Washington in the Orange Bowl, they might have had a claim, but they had a loss and tie on their resume.

Hmm

[twitter]https://twitter.com/UCF_Football/status/948388332270227456?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw&ref_url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.espn.com%2F[/twitter]

Hmm

[twitter]https://twitter.com/UCF_Football/status/948388332270227456?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw&ref_url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.espn.com%2F[/twitter]

Damn! They really have hired Butch & Davenport. Knightro and Pegasus are both shaking their heads at that.

UCF needs to apologize to UConn for making fun of them for making up that "rivalry trophy" a few years ago, because they seriously one-upped that.

Hey UCF, beating the third or 4th best team in the SEC doesn’t make you national champions. Maybe next time you will learn to schedule a couple of power 5 schools. Maryland? Hah!

Parade | UCFSports.com

Auburn beat Bama and UGA in the same year. That's crazy isn't it? The 2 teams playing for the national title lost to Auburn but UGA got lucky and was able to play them again. Does my bitterness towards UGA come through or should I ratchet it up a notch?

UCF had a fantastic year. They beat one of the best SEC teams in a bowl. UCF should at least finish 2nd or 3rd in the polls imo.

Let them have their fun.
If they want to call themselves the champs today, then fine.
Let them print shirts and hats too.
It won’t be officialy recognized anywhere. It only gets silly if they claim it in the media guide and inside the stadium.

Let them have their fun.
If they want to call themselves the champs today, then fine.
Let them print shirts and hats too.
It won’t be officialy recognized anywhere. It only gets silly if they claim it in the media guide and inside the stadium.

I just read that they plan to hang a banner.
FWIW, I support hanging a banner to recognize perfection with a NY6 bowl win, but not a national champs banner.

If they keep growing their football program, I could see them eventually making it into a Power 5 conference. They already are the biggest university in America in undergraduate participation with 64,000 last year. That kind of growth will have future rewards. I have no problem with them celebrating a perfect season. They won't be recognized as such, so no harm no foul.

UCF is an idiotic school. My respect for that program has been lost. Anyone with a functioning brain knows that the transitive property does not apply to college football. Just because they beat Auburn, a team that got whalloped in the SEC Championship game, far from guarantees a Bama or Georgia win. It is pathetic that they think otherwise.

Also, bear in mind that they had played absolutely no-one until they played Auburn.

lol taking a page out of the Bammer playbook and claiming national titles every year.

Well they're playing for their 5th in the last 9 seasons, so there's that.

Then there's UT claiming the '67 NC...

UCF is an idiotic school. My respect for that program has been lost. Anyone with a functioning brain knows that the transitive property does not apply to college football. Just because they beat Auburn, a team that got whalloped in the SEC Championship game, far from guarantees a Bama or Georgia win. It is pathetic that they think otherwise.

Also, bear in mind that they had played absolutely no-one until they played Auburn.

I think you're over-thinking this. They had GT scheduled and played USF & Memphis. I promise UT wouldn't have wanted to play Memphis, USF, or UCF this season.

If they keep growing their football program, I could see them eventually making it into a Power 5 conference. They already are the biggest university in America in undergraduate participation with 64,000 last year. That kind of growth will have future rewards. I have no problem with them celebrating a perfect season. They won't be recognized as such, so no harm no foul.

I think that's across all of their campuses. Not just in Orlando.

I think the NCAA has a problem. If you are outside the Power 5, you have very little chance of making the playoff and little to no chance of winning a National Championship. If the playoff is not going to expand, perhaps the group of 5 conferences should have their own playoff and title game. Maybe it should not be called the National Championship but given some other title. There is really no incentive for those other conferences.

Hmm

Wait a minute, I thought this was firmly tongue in cheek? You're telling me they are serious about this?

I think the NCAA has a problem. If you are outside the Power 5, you have very little chance of making the playoff and little to no chance of winning a National Championship. If the playoff is not going to expand, perhaps the group of 5 conferences should have their own playoff and title game. Maybe it should not be called the National Championship but given some other title. There is really no incentive for those other conferences.

It's supposed to be hard to make the playoff. Why would they make it easy? And it's not that hard to make the playoff if you schedule good teams. Notre Dame played for the championship recently and they are independent.

VN Store

Back