Tyndall- We'll come up with a couple more good recruits!

We were hot too. I mean we beat two 2 seeds, a 1 seed, and a very good 4 seed in L'Ville. UConn beat a 1, 2, 3, and 4 seed. So we were both very hot. We both got to our conference title games, only difference we lost to UF (who ended losing to Uconn in the Final Four). But after that USCjr game we played great the rest of the year. A huge turnaround to get a 8 seed.

They were just an experienced team. Kevin Ollie isn't some magician coach. People were quick to give him all the credit, but they werent his players. Kinda like Tubby in his first year. They had amazing guard play from Napier/Boatright, who both should have nba careers. They were lightyears ahead of the Harrisons. They had average big guys, but so did we at times last year. People forget we didn't even play with WCS, arguably our best player. We had to use Johnson for 25 minutes, and he was out of shape and inept offensively. Other than him we had no other centers. 2013-14 was our best recruiting class ever, but very young and inexperienced. I don't feel bad about losing to Uconn. They suck this year for a reason though.

There is one key difference in your Kevin Ollie/Tubby Smith comparison. Ollie was instrumental in recruiting those players as the lead assistant under Jim Calhoun. Tubby was hired off the street and had no direct tie to any of the players Pitino had recruited to UK, with whom he won a title in his first season as coach using exclusively Pitino's players.

Are these 2 likely to both be jucos?
1/28/2015 - 2015 SG Kaleb Johnson (6-6, 185, 3★) committed to Georgetown. - Per Link
1/23/2015 - JUCO SG Malique Trent (6-2, -, 2★) has received an offer from Tennessee. - Per Link
1/17/2015 - JUCO C Kyle Meyer (6-10, 222, 2.7★) | Position Rank: 37 has received an offer from Tennessee. - Per Link
1/16/2015 - JUCO PF Kimani Jackson (6-7, 220, 2★) has received an offer from Tennessee. - Per Link Looks like Donnie likes the Jucos!

There is one key difference in your Kevin Ollie/Tubby Smith comparison. Ollie was instrumental in recruiting those players as the lead assistant under Jim Calhoun. Tubby was hired off the street and had no direct tie to any of the players Pitino had recruited to UK, with whom he won a title in his first season as coach using exclusively Pitino's players.

That's a good point. Well made.

Donnie can coach! He just can't execute on the floor!

I hope you are kidding when you say he can not execute on the floor.. He has some of the best calls out of timeouts and able to adjust during the game better than a lot of coaches I have watched and that would be including Pearl.

Reactions: 1 person
I was referring to players having an off shooting night from behind the arc, missing fts, and a failure to finish on the close in shots. The State game was like a golfer who shoots a 6under then comes back with a 6over in the next round.

SD, I appreciate your enthusiasm for CDT and the basketball team. However, I have to disagree about the loss to Miss. St. not having anything to do with coaching. Let's give credit where it's due...too often in that game we didn't rotate quickly enough when the ball was reversed, which led to some pretty good looks at the 3 ball from the weak-side. At some point, you have to make an adjustment as a coach...now maybe he did, and the players didn't execute...either way, it's still on the coach. Also, I wouldn't put Rick Ray in the top tier of SEC coaches just yet, but you also have to give him props for putting guys in the position to knock down the open J's.

As far as CDT's recruiting abilities...IMO we can't make a fair assessment until he has a couple of classes under his belt, and the 'AA is off his back.

To be fair, I would have let them shoot as many 3's as they wanted because they were last in the league in 3 point shooting. I know they had an injury or two early, but they were terrible shooting the ball. I would have guessed the only way that they could beat us was by driving and getting offensive rebounds.

I guess you can give Ray props because they won, but unless something has changed, they don't shoot real well. I just looked at their previous 5 league games before ours, and we would have won with all of the shooting stats that they had.

1/28/2015 - 2015 SG Kaleb Johnson (6-6, 185, 3★) committed to Georgetown. - Per Link
1/23/2015 - JUCO SG Malique Trent (6-2, -, 2★) has received an offer from Tennessee. - Per Link
1/17/2015 - JUCO C Kyle Meyer (6-10, 222, 2.7★) | Position Rank: 37 has received an offer from Tennessee. - Per Link
1/16/2015 - JUCO PF Kimani Jackson (6-7, 220, 2★) has received an offer from Tennessee. - Per Link Looks like Donnie likes the Jucos!

Depressing as hell.

Reactions: 3 people
Not every 4 or 5 star prospect is a lock for the NBA. Jabari McGhee, Tariq Owens, and Willie Carmichael will eventually contribute to competitive contests as they progress IMO, especially due to the coaching of DT!

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
Depressing as hell.
Hey, Nega Vols 30, you are about as knowledgeable here as you were about godawful Mississippi State.
"Man, you don't look into details, do you? That loss had zero to do with coaching. It had to do with a hot basketball team shooting 8 of 11 from 3 and hitting 25 of 35 free throws (officiating) while we hit 11 of 17. Kentucky probably wouldn't have overcome that. They also had a player who offset Josh Richardson's 30 points with 26 of his own while one of his teammates dropped in 20. Another detail you seemed to have overlooked in your haste to be a Negavol. I said in the next year or two not this year. That could mean 3 years from now. That so called godawful team has just knocked off LSU and Tennessee in consecutive games. I would say you need to pay more attention when you read."

"

Reactions: 2 people
Not every 4 or 5 star prospect are locks for the NBA. Jabari McGhee, Tariq Owens, and Willie Carmichael will eventually contribute to competitive contests as they progress IMO, especially due to the coaching of DT!

I don't doubt they will contribute either, but it's insane to expect every single 2 star to develop into an nba starter type player.

I don't doubt they will contribute either, but it's insane to expect every single 2 star to develop into an nba starter type player.

CDT has won many games against far superior talent than he had. For instance, when Morehead defeated UL in the NCAA tourney, UL had more future NBA talent. Only teams like ky, duke, kans and others have a surplus of NBA talent. Should all other teams in the NCAA drop BB because they are not loaded with future pros?

Hey, Nega Vols 30, you are about as knowledgeable here as you were about godawful Mississippi State.
"Man, you don't look into details, do you? That loss had zero to do with coaching. It had to do with a hot basketball team shooting 8 of 11 from 3 and hitting 25 of 35 free throws (officiating) while we hit 11 of 17. Kentucky probably wouldn't have overcome that. They also had a player who offset Josh Richardson's 30 points with 26 of his own while one of his teammates dropped in 20. Another detail you seemed to have overlooked in your haste to be a Negavol. I said in the next year or two not this year. That could mean 3 years from now. That so called godawful team has just knocked off LSU and Tennessee in consecutive games. I would say you need to pay more attention when you read."

"

Maybe you do. I was referring to his recruiting

VN Store

Back