Tyndall- We'll come up with a couple more good recruits!

So was Damian Lillard. So do you agree with his statement two stars aren't good players? Pretty absurd to state that when there's been multiple players in the past who have proven the star rankings can be wrong/incorrect.

They can be, but in basketball they're right more times than not.

Reactions: 1 person
Once this investigation is off his back he will be a good recruiter IMO I think he gets Ado and Blackwell next cycle

Donnie is one of the best coaches in the county. Whether he can recruit the talent needed to succeed at an elite level is yet to be determined, but he is doing a really good job with the players he has.

Coach Cal is an excellent recruiter that can pretty much throw a ball on the court and say "go play" and be successful. I'm not a Duke fan at all, but Coach K is the best of both worlds. He can recruit and coach at an elite level.

Recruiting in basketball isn't like football. You recruit to fit your style in basketball. Yea, we need a scoring post, but they don't grow on trees. Neither do elite PGs. Tyndall's best bet is to JuCo it almost every year like Pearl did. If you can sign one solid JuCo player a year, in a position of need, it will really help.

Face it, we aren't Duke, KY, etc. We can't recruit 2-3 5 star players year in and year out, but that shouldn't stop us from winning consistently. The key is to play/recruit within your system. Tyndall's system works. He's a great X and O guy. He knows basketball, and he knows how to utilize talent.

Personally, I'd like to see us try to get a JuCo PG and a JuCo PF/C this year. In the coming years, I think we should continue to hit the JuCo players hard and also recruit some pure shooters. If we could land a good JuCo player, a pure shooter, and the best player we possible can get each year, then we should be golden under Tyndall.

Reactions: 4 people
Coach Cal is an excellent recruiter that can pretty much throw a ball on the court and say "go play" and be successful.

This idea that Cal can't coach and just rolls the ball out and says go is crazy to me. It's not easy getting a bunch of 5 stars to play together as a unit. He does a great job coaching them to play together and be successful. I'm not a fan of his but I at least respect the coaching job he does.

Reactions: 2 people
This idea that Cal can't coach and just rolls the ball out and says go is crazy to me. It's not easy getting a bunch of 5 stars to play together as a unit. He does a great job coaching them to play together and be successful. I'm not a fan of his but I at least respect the coaching job he does.

I agree on getting them to play together as a unit, but Cal isn't a good x's and o's coach. He has more talent, that ends up in the NBA, than anyone else, but doesn't have near the amount of National titles as he should considering the talent he has. There is no way UCONN should have won that title game last year when you look at the rosters on paper. Same thing when he didn't win with Rose at Memphis. Great recruiter, yes... coach, I don't think so.

Recruiting in basketball isn't like football. You recruit to fit your style in basketball. Yea, we need a scoring post, but they don't grow on trees. Neither do elite PGs. Tyndall's best bet is to JuCo it almost every year like Pearl did. If you can sign one solid JuCo player a year, in a position of need, it will really help.

Face it, we aren't Duke, KY, etc. We can't recruit 2-3 5 star players year in and year out, but that shouldn't stop us from winning consistently. The key is to play/recruit within your system. Tyndall's system works. He's a great X and O guy. He knows basketball, and he knows how to utilize talent.

Personally, I'd like to see us try to get a JuCo PG and a JuCo PF/C this year. In the coming years, I think we should continue to hit the JuCo players hard and also recruit some pure shooters. If we could land a good JuCo player, a pure shooter, and the best player we possible can get each year, then we should be golden under Tyndall.

I have said my piece before but not a fan of recruiting Jucos every year. He probably has to do it right now to add some experience and fill gaps. But Jucos don't go to D1 schools out of high school for a reason. Also, I believe more Juco guards pan out than big guys. Let Donnie develop Owens, McGhee, and Carmichael on his own. If they stick it out, they will be better their junior years than a Juco big. That is how you develop a program,

I have said my piece before but not a fan of recruiting Jucos every year. He probably has to do it right now to add some experience and fill gaps. But Jucos don't go to D1 schools out of high school for a reason. Also, I believe more Juco guards pan out than big guys. Let Donnie develop Owens, McGhee, and Carmichael on his own. If they stick it out, they will be better their junior years than a Juco big. That is how you develop a program,

Pass for last year of course, but...agree with a lot of this, not sure there's the patience required however.

whoa whoa whoa. Hold your horses buddy.

I'm strictly talking x's and o's and doing the most with the talent he has. Minus Josh Richardson, this team does not have much proven talent. This team plays hard for Donnie and has done much better than most would have thought.

Donnie wasn't handed the keys to get where he's at now. He worked and earned his way up through the college ranks. That's why I believe he's one of the best coaches in the country. Now if he can't get the talent in here with recruiting then he will fail, but he gets a lot out of the players he has to work with. That's coaching.

Siap but if I'm Phillips of the Schofield that comment might irk me a little.

We just lost to godawful Miss St at home, and you think we are going to beat UK?
Man, you don't look into details, do you? That loss had zero to do with coaching. It had to do with a hot basketball team shooting 8 of 11 from 3 and hitting 25 of 35 free throws (officiating) while we hit 11 of 17. Kentucky probably wouldn't have overcome that. :) They also had a player who offset Josh Richardson's 30 points with 26 of his own while one of his teammates dropped in 20. Another detail you seemed to have overlooked in your haste to be a Negavol. I said in the next year or two not this year. That could mean 3 years from now. That so called godawful team has just knocked off LSU and Tennessee in consecutive games. I would say you need to pay more attention when you read.

There is no way UCONN should have won that title game last year when you look at the rosters on paper. Same thing when he didn't win with Rose at Memphis. Great recruiter, yes... coach, I don't think so.
Seems like Kentucky ran into a 29-11 buzz saw last year just like the Vols did against Mississippi State. Hardly a godawful team that slayed the Wildcats for the national championship. just a team that got hot during the tournament.

Man, you don't look into details, do you? That loss had zero to do with coaching. It had to do with a hot basketball team shooting 8 of 11 from 3 and hitting 25 of 35 free throws (officiating) while we hit 11 of 17. Kentucky probably wouldn't have overcome that. :) They also had a player who offset Josh Richardson's 30 points with 26 of his own while one of his teammates dropped in 20. Another detail you seemed to have overlooked in your haste to be a Negavol. I said in the next year or two not this year. That could mean 3 years from now. That so called godawful team has just knocked off LSU and Tennessee in consecutive games. I would say you need to pay more attention when you read.

SD, I appreciate your enthusiasm for CDT and the basketball team. However, I have to disagree about the loss to Miss. St. not having anything to do with coaching. Let's give credit where it's due...too often in that game we didn't rotate quickly enough when the ball was reversed, which led to some pretty good looks at the 3 ball from the weak-side. At some point, you have to make an adjustment as a coach...now maybe he did, and the players didn't execute...either way, it's still on the coach. Also, I wouldn't put Rick Ray in the top tier of SEC coaches just yet, but you also have to give him props for putting guys in the position to knock down the open J's.

As far as CDT's recruiting abilities...IMO we can't make a fair assessment until he has a couple of classes under his belt, and the 'AA is off his back.

You can't out coach a hot team. Just ask John Calipari against Connecticutt in the 2014 national championship.

We just lost to godawful Miss St at home, and you think we are going to beat UK?

At this point, with the way we have played at home, I'd almost just as soon play UK in Rupp. Not that I give us much chance in either venue, but we have really dogged it at home in SEC play for some reason. 2-3 on your home court won't cut it for a fringe team with hopes of making a run at the dance. That is my one disappointment with this team, because I had counted on wins in all three home losses heading into conference play.

You can't out coach a hot team. Just ask John Calipari against Connecticutt in the 2014 national championship.

We were hot too. I mean we beat two 2 seeds, a 1 seed, and a very good 4 seed in L'Ville. UConn beat a 1, 2, 3, and 4 seed. So we were both very hot. We both got to our conference title games, only difference we lost to UF (who ended losing to Uconn in the Final Four). But after that USCjr game we played great the rest of the year. A huge turnaround to get a 8 seed.

They were just an experienced team. Kevin Ollie isn't some magician coach. People were quick to give him all the credit, but they werent his players. Kinda like Tubby in his first year. They had amazing guard play from Napier/Boatright, who both should have nba careers. They were lightyears ahead of the Harrisons. They had average big guys, but so did we at times last year. People forget we didn't even play with WCS, arguably our best player. We had to use Johnson for 25 minutes, and he was out of shape and inept offensively. Other than him we had no other centers. 2013-14 was our best recruiting class ever, but very young and inexperienced. I don't feel bad about losing to Uconn. They suck this year for a reason though.

Seems like Kentucky ran into a 29-11 buzz saw last year just like the Vols did against Mississippi State. Hardly a godawful team that slayed the Wildcats for the national championship. just a team that got hot during the tournament.

UConn has always had good players. They have had a lot of nba talent of their rosters. It's not a suprise they have 4 titles in the last 20 years. Ollie has high expectations now though after that first magical year. Hopefully he doesn't pull a Tubby.

UConn has always had good players. They have had a lot of nba talent of their rosters. It's not a suprise they have 4 titles in the last 20 years. Ollie has high expectations now though after that first magical year. Hopefully he doesn't pull a Tubby.

I think he will bc his recruiting has dipped

Jucorecruiting.com reported this on 1/25, pay article
JUCO Insider: Tennessee involved with as many as 6 JUCO prospects, with several offers out:

Reactions: 2 people

VN Store

Back