Tyndall on Woodson: "He will not push himself through fatigue"

That happens with every coach.....coach comes in and every word he says is considered great and we are so glad that he is our coach....By yr 2 or 3 we are ready to run him out of town if he is not winning enough for our liking whether it's realistic expectations or not.
My point is that some posters will say we will have a good season (based on pure speculation), and when another disagrees, the first poster says the second poster is wrong because we haven't even played a game yet. The fallacy lies in the fact that the first poster doesn't have any more reason to say we would have a good season as opposed to a bad one.

From a fan's perspective I understand how you enjoy the lack of coach speak, but I don't understand how that will result in better players. To me, ripping a player to the media can rarely be a positive. If I were a recruit, I'd think twice about playing for a coach who was going to throw me under the bus to the media.

If I'm doing something wrong at work I certainly want my boss communicating to me the desired improvement. I don't however want him telling everyone else in the office and especially would be offended if he talked about it to the media and would be looking for another job if it happened.

I disagree....u have to know how to push the players buttons.....some respond by being called out and some don't....a good coach knows the difference.

Reactions: 3 people
I disagree....u have to know how to push the players buttons.....some respond by being called out and some don't....a good coach knows the difference.

I would instinctively agree with walkenvol, but you are correct that some individuals respond differently. If he beasts out this season, Donnie will be a hero.

I would instinctively agree with walkenvol, but you are correct that some individuals respond differently. If he beasts out this season, Donnie will be a hero.

I have four kids and each of them are different and I have to use many different tactics to push them with their sports...it seems to work with Dom bc he called him out over not losing weight and he really has been dropping it off.

I have four kids and each of them are different and I have to use many different tactics to push them with their sports...it seems to work with Dom bc he called him out over not losing weight and he really has been dropping it off.

He's not even calling him out anyways. It's just the truth. He's beeen saying it since Dom got here. I'm pretty sure our fan base will never be happy with what our coaches say at pressers. CBJ is to predictable... Tyndall is to honest... Tyndall isn't Dooley. He's not throwing the guys under the bus and blaming them for our loses to come. He's been honest about our roster situation the whole time. He's stated numerous times that we don't have a PG, a post scorer, or enough experience to win consistently. I guess people want him to lie to us so we feel better about the situation at hand...

Reactions: 1 person
"I feel strongly both ways"...."I was for it before I was against it"...."Like I always say, keep your mouth shut and don't say a word"...."Just play dumb"....and maybe my favorite uttered by the Democratic lady senator running for re-election at her debates a few nights ago when ask, yes or no, Do you support the Obama agenda?...."Well, yes and no....I support some and some I don't." Life is beautiful...you cant make these things up....

We wouldn't have Woodson if we got McKnight. I'd rather have Woodson for 3 years than McKnight for 1. Turned out good for UT.

If he doesn't overcome this particular fault, we'll get as much production out of Woodson over three years as we'd have gotten out of McNight for 1.

The problem that plagued him at Memphis. I always assumed it was connected with his conditioning, never assumed it was a lack of mental toughness sort of thing.

You think this is calling him out you should have heard him at practice Tuesday night...

Do tell...

I feel its not fair to the kid but my goodness tyndall stayed on this kid! Multiple times Dom would slack and tyndall told him many times to get the F$$$ out until you learn how to play... "if you don't wanna learn how to play you can pack your **** and go to fu$$$$$ house

I feel its not fair to the kid but my goodness tyndall stayed on this kid! Multiple times Dom would slack and tyndall told him many times to get the F$$$ out until you learn how to play... "if you don't wanna learn how to play you can pack your **** and go to fu$$$$$ house

All this tells me is Tyndall really likes the potential of Dom. Start worrying when he stops yelling at him. He's trying to expedite his development. I feel Tyndall knows how to push people to their breaking point, but what you don't see is what he's doing outside practice. Tyndall is most likely very encouraging in terms of Dom's eating habits, etc off the court. I'm sure he's showing his players some love off the court, but on the court, the final product is all on Tydnall's a@@ at the end of the day.

All this tells me is Tyndall really likes the potential of Dom. Start worrying when he stops yelling at him. He's trying to expedite his development. I feel Tyndall knows how to push people to their breaking point, but what you don't see is what he's doing outside practice. Tyndall is most likely very encouraging in terms of Dom's eating habits, etc off the court. I'm sure he's showing his players some love off the court, but on the court, the final product is all on Tydnall's a@@ at the end of the day.

I agree for sure he wasn't letting Dom get away with anything that's for sure.. the kid looked pretty good on the offensive end as far as rebounding goes however his defense was suspect as you would expect with him being fatigued.. I could definitely see where coach was talking about him only been able to give us a couple of possessions before he needs a breather... tyndall told him once with your terrible play I don't want to hear you bit&&&&& when TBA is packed and your ass isn't playing.. he's staying on him for sure

Some guys you can yell at. Maybe Woodson is a guy you can yell at. A guy you probably can't yell at? Robert Hubbs. I don't think he would respond well. I don't know how Dom responds.

It's hard being a coach.

Some guys you can yell at. Maybe Woodson is a guy you can yell at. A guy you probably can't yell at? Robert Hubbs. I don't think he would respond well. I don't know how Dom responds.

It's hard being a coach.

One thing I can say is Dom didn't let it keep him out he kept going back for more... his body language wasn't very good during or right after but there isn't many people that look happy after an ass chewing

No offense but looking back I probably would have passed on Chiles and taken both, redshirting Dom if that was the case.

If Bonds is eligible, I don't Chiles playing much.

That happens with every coach.....coach comes in and every word he says is considered great and we are so glad that he is our coach....By yr 2 or 3 we are ready to run him out of town if he is not winning enough for our liking whether it's realistic expectations or not.

Truer words have never been spoken. An entire thesis in a paragraph.

You may be correct concerning this particular player, but IMHO its bad policy for a coach to "critique / insult / etc" his players to the media. The player's family and friends read this and it leaves a bad impressions of their loved one. If I had a son being recruited by a coach who was going to the media in this way with his existing players, I would encourage my son to factor into the recruiting process that he may be the next player discussed in an unfavorable light. Old school hard assed basketball coaching doesn't appear to be the direction things have been headed in the NCAA as of late. Maybe there's a reason?

Reactions: 2 people
You may be correct concerning this particular player, but IMHO its bad policy for a coach to "critique / insult / etc" his players to the media. The player's family and friends read this and it leaves a bad impressions of their loved one. If I had a son being recruited by a coach who was going to the media in this way with his existing players, I would encourage my son to factor into the recruiting process that he may be the next player discussed in an unfavorable light. Old school hard assed basketball coaching doesn't appear to be the direction things have been headed in the NCAA as of late. Maybe there's a reason?

That's the problem......most kids cant handle being pushed today....I had that problem with an AAU coach for my daughter....Looked like she was cuddling with my daughter.....I told her I didn't want that and I wanted her to get on her and push her as hard as she can to become the best player she can possibly can be. She has plenty of grandparents to tell her how great she is and didn't need that here.

That's the problem......most kids cant handle being pushed today....I had that problem with an AAU coach for my daughter....Looked like she was cuddling with my daughter.....I told her I didn't want that and I wanted her to get on her and push her as hard as she can to become the best player she can possibly can be. She has plenty of grandparents to tell her how great she is and didn't need that here.

The comment you are replying to didn't say anything about players being pushed. He was specifically referring to going to the media which I also think is a bad move. I am all for riding a kid who needs the constant motivation. My own kids require it for school work and etc. But embarrassment as motivation is a dangerous game to play in my opinion. It rarely works and gives outsiders a poor opinion of you deserved or not.

Reactions: 2 people

VN Store

Back