Trump wants Popular Vote over Electoral College

While I said it in a lecturing fashion I wasn’t really talking to you. I realize you probably understood this. However many, including some people ok this forum, either don’t get it or try to talk around it.

We are always going to use the EC because changing it would take a constitutional amendment. That won’t happen.

But people’s votes have never counted at the national level. They count at the state level. And in that regard everybody’s vote indeed does count at the level in which it is recognized. The state.

The dialog which should happen to address your question could actually be addressed in 50 different valid methods. None of which require touching the constitution.

I don’t know historically why we can’t have proportional delegates. I don’t know if it’s driven by a desire for a singular clean vote by a singular state.

Nebraska and Maine are the only states that proportionally allocate electoral votes. Even that would be better than winner take all, but that is something that is decided at the state level, yes.

Reactions: 1 person
Nebraska and Maine are the only states that proportionally allocate electoral votes. Even that would be better than winner take all, but that is something that is decided at the state level, yes.

Yes and I wish every state followed similar models.

Yes... as well the fact that the Democratic Party candidate has won the popular vote in every election since 1992 except for GWB over Kerry in '04. That's 6 out of 7. That includes '00 and '16 when the Republican candidate won the electoral college.

It's comments like this that really make you question his level of self awareness.

The point is that if you want to be president, it's not the popular vote that you have to win. Apparently that fact doesn't fit with Dim self awareness.

What sells to urban rat hole dwellers doesn't necessarily resonate with Americans. Take away the one thing that somewhat evens the representative scales, and you are flirting with rebellion. Don't think that NYC, LA, and Chicago could control the US without a fight they can't win.

While I said it in a lecturing fashion I wasn’t really talking to you. I realize you probably understood this. However many, including some people ok this forum, either don’t get it or try to talk around it.

We are always going to use the EC because changing it would take a constitutional amendment. That won’t happen.

But people’s votes have never counted at the national level. They count at the state level. And in that regard everybody’s vote indeed does count at the level in which it is recognized. The state.

The dialog which should happen to address your question could actually be addressed in 50 different valid methods. None of which require touching the constitution.

I don’t know historically why we can’t have proportional delegates. I don’t know if it’s driven by a desire for a singular clean vote by a singular state.

Proportional delegates to the EC would be like the popular vote with round off error.

The point is that if you want to be president, it's not the popular vote that you have to win. Apparently that fact doesn't fit with Dim self awareness.

What sells to urban rat hole dwellers doesn't necessarily resonate with Americans. Take away the one thing that somewhat evens the representative scales, and you are flirting with rebellion. Don't think that NYC, LA, and Chicago could control the US without a fight they can't win.

I guess you missed the title of the link in the OP: "Trump Pushes to Swap Electoral College for Popular Vote"

Reactions: 2 people
I guess you missed the title of the link in the OP: "Trump Pushes to Swap Electoral College for Popular Vote"

Nope, but did you miss a part of your quote?

“The electoral college is different. I would rather have the popular vote because it's, to me, it's much easier to win the popular vote,”

I think you are mixing literals and hypotheticals. Trump says a lot of things - he probably means a few of them. Better to ignore Trump-speak and focus on what he actually does; that goes for all the rest of DC, too.

Nope, but did you miss a part of your quote?

“The electoral college is different. I would rather have the popular vote because it's, to me, it's much easier to win the popular vote,”

I think you are mixing literals and hypotheticals. Trump says a lot of things - he probably means a few of them. Better to ignore Trump-speak and focus on what he actually does; that goes for all the rest of DC, too.

I saw this but for a Republican to say that makes no sense considering that Dems have won the popular vote 6 of the last 7 elections. And in most elections, the winner of the electoral college and popular vote do go hand in hand. I think the only reason he said this is that it still bothers him (a freaking year and a half later) that Hillary Clinton won the popular vote. He has such a huge ego that he can't let it go.

I saw this but for a Republican to say that makes no sense considering that Dems have won the popular vote 6 of the last 7 elections. And in most elections, the winner of the electoral college and popular vote do go hand in hand. I think the only reason he said this is that it still bothers him (a freaking year and a half later) that Hillary Clinton won the popular vote. He has such a huge ego that he can't let it go.

The campaigns would be run entirely different if the winner was decided by popular vote.

Reactions: 2 people
The campaigns would be run entirely different if the winner was decided by popular vote.

Yes... and the Democratic candidate would have an advantage. Check the numbers that come in from our largest cities: LA, San Francisco, Chicago, NYC, Philadelphia, Boston, Atlanta, Detroit... it's not pretty for Republicans. Trump seems to imply that Republicans would make up ground in the popular vote if only they were focusing more of the campaign effort to reach that end... I don't think that's the case at all.

10,000 posts! :rock:

Reactions: 6 people

I absolutely agree with you about the ego and the popular vote. Trump cannot stand not being the one in the room drawing all the attention - think class clown, and you'll be on the right track.

Yes... and the Democratic candidate would have an advantage. Check the numbers that come in from our largest cities: LA, San Francisco, Chicago, NYC, Philadelphia, Boston, Atlanta, Detroit... it's not pretty for Republicans. Trump seems to imply that Republicans would make up ground in the popular vote if only they were focusing more of the campaign effort to reach that end... I don't think that's the case at all.

Trump thinks (no, is sure) that he could make up the necessary votes. Trump is a legend in his own mind; he sees his "popularity" as a bulldozer in a popular vote; the EC to him is an uncertainty.

I think Trump is completely wrong, but who knows. I never thought he'd win the nomination so you can't just go by previous vote counts.

whats funny is the anti Trumpers getting onto the Trumpers for a stance Trump took that is generally counter to their own.

while completely ignoring the idiot and traitor Trump thoughts align with their own Anti Trumpers thoughts.

not sure its the Trumpers who should feel awkward.

One of us.
One of us.
one of us.

He didn’t push..... he talked smack on a meaningless show stating he wishes it was popular vote bc he would whip a$$ more bigly.

I was at a conference yesterday and the keynote speaker was Trump's 2020 campaign manager - Brad Parscale- who ran digital marketing in 2016. It was fascinating. I'm convinced that if they'd switched to a popular vote strategy, they could've won that too. Nobody has heard of the guy, but it was quickly obvious that he's brilliant.

Except that people in less populous states (like Wyoming, Alaska, Rhode Island) will receive even less EC votes than they do now while population centers like NYC, LA, Chicago and Miami gain even more.

Those places could also be known as "where the governed people live".

The EC could still provide power to the States by allocation of votes based on total population. The winner take all is a terrible system when, taking Florida for example - the vote is nearly split (remember the hanging chad's?) It's fine when 'your' candidate wins, but sucks when 49% of the voters chose a candidate and 100% of the EC votes go to the 51% winner.

It also puts deep blue states back into play, a proportional EC split in California for example would give millions a voice where as of now, it's pointless to even show up at the polls.

I was at a conference yesterday and the keynote speaker was Trump's 2020 campaign manager - Brad Parscale- who ran digital marketing in 2016. It was fascinating. I'm convinced that if they'd switched to a popular vote strategy, they could've won that too. Nobody has heard of the guy, but it was quickly obvious that he's brilliant.

It’s a very competitive space, but digital marketing is very powerful and a big influencer. It’s about creating the phases of story, that attracts ‘buyers’.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back