Tracking Saban's Replacement Thread

My Bama beach friends want Kiffy. Don't know if the AL Administration does but he is not hated by their fan base. He is arrogant enough to probably do well there.

Agree on most comments. Lanning better fits the bama old school mentality, and he hasnt screwed up on NIL like Dabo. But would he want to follow St Nick? But, Kif at bama is scary given those resources and football priority.

I have this love/hate feeling toward Kif, but he is of the more recent generation. As for being a smartass, I say he's gone from just that to being a better marketer keeping a program that shouldnt be very visible. He's also a great offensive coach.
He's Spurrier in a new generation. Can you imagine Stevie with social media driving Vol fans & Heup crazy? And he did pretty well as a smartass... kept us from winning a Heistman and maybe another national championship.

IMHO, Lanning at bama, Kirby at dawgs and Kif at gators is a nightmare for the Vols. With that & maybe two years Danny sees the handwriting on the wall & departs for the ACC, FSUish or another SEC AD job. We'll run off Huep given 3-4 losses a year and restart...

It's the nightmare I don't want to have.
Lanning is young enough to recover if Bama runs him off. The expectations at Bama might be ridiculous but as a career move, Lanning won't find a bigger stage then Bama.

He's young enough to jump to the pros (if he has NFL aspirations) if it goes south or dip right back to being Kirby's right hand guy again for a few seasons until another gig comes along.

If the courts destroy college football and it all becomes NFL-lite, Bama is a national brand. I'd say it's at least a top 5 college brand, "America's Team" kind of program, that will be a valuable pro franchise.

Given all the crap that probably lies ahead for college football legally, Alabama is probably the safest place to work for any kind of transition that might be court ordered. They'll give up football in Alabama when you pry it from their cold, dead hands.

Reactions: I4Vols
I feel the exact same way. Do you or anyone know if this is credible or like everything else, just speculation?
I believe Just speculation. But it is interesting to me that the first official confirmation that Nick was stepping down came from his wife on her charity Facebook page

Reactions: give_him 6
He's done well at Ole Miss--very well. Why wouldn't he do well at bama?
His coaching skills are top shelf. I am just not sure of his managerial chops. Running a program like Alabama requires someone who can play the role of CEO as well as coach. And Bama is a MUCH larger beast to manage than Ole Miss

I would like to make this observation; Dooley once (in)famously stated that we fans were „looking for Rommel“. In a Sense, Saban WAS Rommel. You hated him because he was the enemy; but you respected him because he was an absolute master of his craft.

Vegas lines:

• Dan Lanning +250
  • Lane Kiffin +400
  • James Franklin +500
  • Dabo Swinney +600
  • Steve Sarkisian +900
  • Mike Norvell +1000
  • Glenn Schumann +1500
  • Kalen DeBoer +1800
  • Bill O'Brien +2000
  • Pat Shurmur +2200
  • Deion Sanders +2500
  • Urban Meyer +3000

Friend, I appreciate many of your posts here. Always look forward to getting your thoughts.

But I have to take exception with a couple of things in this post:

1. "3rd best record of all time...at Ole Miss," is kinda like saying, "third-tallest midget," "or third-prettiest girl in the ugly girl competition."

2. We're talking about replacing Saban. Getting a team to "a bowl game every year" seems to be far below the needed credentials.

3. Saying Kiffin "is an NFL coach," glosses over the fact that (a) he wasn't for long, because (b) he got fired. Sorta like saying "he was the head coach at USC" without mentioning they were so disappointed in him they fired him at an airport and didn't even give him a ride home.

4. Finally, "made FAU a powerhouse," is kinda way over the top, too. I don't recall FAU taking on and beating any top 25 team, much less rolling over a bunch of top 10s (that's what I think when I hear "college football powerhouse").

In short, I think you've significantly over-stated Kiffin's accomplishments.

I do agree that Kiffin is a wily recruiter, and will play the NIL like a violin if he gets to a place with big NIL $$$. But I don't see any reason to fear him, in spite of that. Bama is not an NIL goldmine. We (and a lot of other programs) can out resource them every day of the week.

And he's not that great a head coach. He won't establish a new dynasty there, or anywhere else he goes. Expect it to turn out kinda like it did for him at USCw, maybe drawn out a little further because he would start with all Saban's amassed roster talent.

*shrug* I personally would kinda like to see Kiffin there. We'd whup their butts more often than they'd whup ours, I'm confident.

Go Vols!

Great points and I totally agree. Kiffin is the cool kid in the room and many people like him but he has not proved to be a great coach. Great O.C., sure,
Capable coach, yes,
Great coach, no.
Talk about a guy born on 3rd base!

I think he has gotten better at this but his players and program hated him at USC.

Reactions: VFL-82-JP
Norvell and Dabo would have the most reason to want the job given the ACC struggles. Lanning would be a great choice, but he has a pretty good deal at Oregon too.
I agree, but I think it would be hard for Dabo to head out given the contract he has . It depends on the quality of life he wants. I’ve seen stuff about Lanning’s Nike stock and all sorts of things. I could see him leaving, but he’s also in the B1G now, and that’s big boy $$ too. Norvell could have the most to gain by leaving .

There is nothing baffling about it. Kiffin has done very well at coaching and recruiting wherever he has been. He is a proven coach in the SEC. Mind you, he has the 3rd best record of all time of any coach at cellar dweller Ol Miss and has had them in a bowl game every year since he coached them. This year was a new year 6. He is an NFL coach, and he made even FAU a powerhouse.

He knows how to go after recruits. I have absolutely no desire to see him get a fanbase, 5* roster and NIL abilities like Alabama can have. Saban has not been taking good advantage of NIL because he hates that it messed up his under the table dominance. Kiffin would make Bama a NIL powerhouse overnight. He is good at razzle dazzle crap like that.

This isnt about Kiffin coming here. Its about recognizing Kiffin is a proven coach who could step right in and I want Alabama to fall down back into the gutter they came from before Saban.

Again, your butthurt is showing.
"Kiffin has done very well at coaching and recruiting wherever he has been" - I wonder if USC and the Raiders would agree (note they both fired him for significant under-performance). Similarly, while he brought energy to UT that we hadn't seen in awhile, he under-performed to talent by about 2-3 games while he was coach here. So, that means that AT BEST, he has "done very well coaching" at 2 places he has been head coach, and has failed to meet expectations at 3.

I keep seeing Norvell’s name pop up. I would be ecstatic w/ that. Would also be a massive, MASSIVE kick in the nuts to FSU
I don't see it being Norvell but I do have to grin.

First Bama takes your place in the CFP, then they take your coach.

That's like stealing a man's truck then coming back with it to steal his bass boat.

Norvell and Dabo would have the most reason to want the job given the ACC struggles. Lanning would be a great choice, but he has a pretty good deal at Oregon too.
As much as people think Dabo is off the table, I wouldn't be shocked by it.

5 years ago, no way Dabo leaves Clemson for Bama. Now, with the weak perception of the ACC and the fact that it's becoming more difficult to recruit to ACC schools vs the SEC -- I could see him being more tempted.

5 years ago, no way Dabo leaves Clemson for Bama. Now, with the weak perception of the ACC and the fact that it's becoming more difficult to recruit to ACC schools vs the SEC -- I could see him being more tempted.
it might be all they can get... following Saban would be a massive amount of pressure

Dabo to Bama, imo, = Jimbo to aTm.

Just a feeling.

Was just in a meeting with a Clemson grad and he basically stated the same thing.
Brought up a good point as far as the CFP / FSU debate this year - meaning if an undefeated ACC Champ doesn't make it into the CFP, then what is the perception of the ACC now. Surely it's not what it once was and definitely not on the same level as the SEC or B1G.

Could a job change to the SEC be the motivation that Dabo is looking for personally?
We've all faced it - like our current job, but just not overly excited about it any longer.
Go to the same job at a new company and all of the sudden you are growing and revitalized...might the track for Dabo.

Question becomes now is Greg Byrne crazy enough to take a risk on a guy that seems to be complacent at his current situation and has publicly made commetns that are not seen as positive with regard to NIL and Transfer Portal?

If Dabo changes his views on the portal, he’d be a possibility.

VN Store

Back