Tracking Saban's Replacement Thread

Bruce Feldman said that Lanning will receive upwards of $30 million in Nike stock as part of his deal with Oregon, and that number grows every time his contract is extended. The buyout might be $20 million, but it would cost way more than that to get him to leave.

It truly is mind boggling, it's not like he's won anything here, or anywhere really. He's had a couple of good years being a coach, that's it, literally, and neither of them was while he was here.

Yeah, but it would sure be a lot of fun if he got the job. Never a dull moment.

The Bama job is pretty toxic now, imo. The expectations are just unfair following up the GOAT. I will be surprised if their new coach makes it to year 4.

Reactions: General Jack
It’s a baffling thing, the Kiffin infatuation. There are honest to God so many Vol fans who think he is the best coach in the country. The only thing I can figure is that they had the best 9 months of their lives while he just so happened to be the coach here, and everything went south after he left. Some kind of Pavlovian dog response to hearing his name just makes them feel good. I hope that’s the reason, at least.

There is nothing baffling about it. Kiffin has done very well at coaching and recruiting wherever he has been. He is a proven coach in the SEC. Mind you, he has the 3rd best record of all time of any coach at cellar dweller Ol Miss and has had them in a bowl game every year since he coached them. This year was a new year 6. He is an NFL coach, and he made even FAU a powerhouse.

He knows how to go after recruits. I have absolutely no desire to see him get a fanbase, 5* roster and NIL abilities like Alabama can have. Saban has not been taking good advantage of NIL because he hates that it messed up his under the table dominance. Kiffin would make Bama a NIL powerhouse overnight. He is good at razzle dazzle crap like that.

This isnt about Kiffin coming here. Its about recognizing Kiffin is a proven coach who could step right in and I want Alabama to fall down back into the gutter they came from before Saban.

Again, your butthurt is showing.

Last edited:
There is nothing baffling about it. Kiffin has done very well at coaching and recruiting wherever he has been. He is a proven coach in the SEC who has actually beaten Saban. Mind you, he has the 3rd best record of all time of any coach at cellar dweller Ol Miss and has had them in a bowl game every year since he coached them. This year was a new year 6.

He knows how to go after recruits. I have absolutely no desire to see him get a fanbase and NIL abilities like Alabama can have. Saban has not been taking good advantage of NIL because he hates that it messed up his under the table dominance. Kiffin would make Bama a NIL powerhouse overnight. He is good at razzle dazzle crap like that.

This isnt about Kiffin coming here. Its about recognizing Kiffin is a proven coach who could step right in and I want Alabama to fall down back into the gutter they came from before Saban.
when did Kiffin beat Saban?

It truly is mind boggling, it's not like he's won anything here, or anywhere really. He's had a couple of good years being a coach, that's it, literally, and neither of them was while he was here.

I completely agree. The insecurity of these schools and their athletic directors about guys who've won a few football games is off the charts. They RUSH to hand out lavish extensions to any coach--at the earliest possible moment--who shows himself to be halfway competent. They agree to absurd buyout clauses in contracts. Truly pathetic. Look at the money A&M paid Fisher--a guy who, big deal, did well at florida state in a notoriously weak ACC---and then extended him prematurely, and are now paying that goof $76 million not to coach. It's insane. College football boosters and schools have got pretty embarrassing really. A new coach arrives, wins 7/8 games, and athletic directors want to give him millions more in salary and extend his contract by 7 years. Get a grip.

When Missouri hired Cuonzo Martin away from Cal they included a clause in the contract guaranteeing he would not be fired without cause for 4 years. If I’m a candidate for the Bama job, I’m insisting on that being part of the deal.

Reactions: OrangeVolMan
This is going to be a crazy off-season. I’m expecting Harbaugh to jump to the NFL so the Michigan job will be open too and then you have all the NFL jobs that are going to be open

Reactions: Volbrando
There is nothing baffling about it. Kiffin has done very well at coaching and recruiting wherever he has been. He is a proven coach in the SEC. Mind you, he has the 3rd best record of all time of any coach at cellar dweller Ol Miss and has had them in a bowl game every year since he coached them. This year was a new year 6. He is an NFL coach, and he made even FAU a powerhouse.

He knows how to go after recruits. I have absolutely no desire to see him get a fanbase, 5* roster and NIL abilities like Alabama can have. Saban has not been taking good advantage of NIL because he hates that it messed up his under the table dominance. Kiffin would make Bama a NIL powerhouse overnight. He is good at razzle dazzle crap like that.

Again, your butthurt is showing.
My butthurt is showing because I’m not afraid of Lane Kiffin? I would be thrilled if he wound up getting the gig. But they wont hire him, no way they hand him the keys to that program. Because they don’t see him with the same Godlike awesomeness that you do.

Another plus for Lanning staying at Oregon is that it won't be nearly as difficult to get to the new playoff playing in the Big 10 as it would in the SEC. Here, the schedule is a meat grinder while in the Big 10 there are really only 5-6 teams that could be good. The negative there now would be the ridiculous travel.
For me it's Kiffin or Lanning and I think Lanning is the better choice.

Saban is abrasive, but he's all about "the process" and discipline and recruiting.

Kiffin is a smartass. While he's a good coach, he likes the trolling and all that a little too much. He's not quite the businessman Nick is about his work.

Lanning sees coaching as taking care of business, creating discipline, and having the horses. He's not flashy. He's not looking for the spotlight all the time.

Lanning is the smoother transition for Alabama.

Kiffin would just end up at the newly opening Kirby Smart School for Coaches in Recovery.

Reactions: Proud Army Wife
Not saying they will, but it is conceivable that bammers will offer the HC job to Kiffin. In the event, wouldn't he accept the move? It seems likely that he would. How would his recent recruits take the situation? A number of them going with him might leave bad feelings in Oxford, but I think some of his recruits would choose to go. Somebody said there's no way that Saban would allow bammer to hire Kiffin to replace him, but hiring his replacement is not Saban's job.

Not saying they will, but it is conceivable that bammers will offer the HC job to Kiffin. In the event, wouldn't he accept the move? It seems likely that he would. How would his recent recruits take the situation? A number of them going with him might leave bad feelings in Oxford, but I think some of his recruits would choose to go. Somebody said there's no way that Saban would allow bammer to hire Kiffin to replace him, but hiring his replacement is not Saban's job.
his recruits would probably enter the transfer portal because they may not be position 1 at Bama like at Ole Miss

Not happening, not with everything that went on while Kiffin was in Tuscalooser. Banging a Boosters Wife and Banging Saban's Daughter.. He isn't getting the Ala job.

Not happening, not with everything that went on while Kiffin was in Tuscalooser. Banging a Boosters Wife and Banging Saban's Daughter.. He isn't getting the Ala job.
Thats like the most Alabama thing ever. That act alone proves he fits in with the culture.

Question: Anyone think there’s a current nfl coach they may pluck like they did Saban l? Like Sean McVay?

If Lanning is interviewing for the job, most likely it is to get a bump from Oregon
Oregon has been used as a stepping stone job for decades. I think he has genuine interest. Doesn’t mean he’ll take it in the end if offered, but I don’t think he’s just trying to get a raise from Oregon.

VN Store

Back