Total War: Warhammer

They also recently announced that the new total war game will be from a historical era they have not used before.

I'm dissappointed since I would have been ecstatic over medieval 3 or empire 2. I can't think of an era that they have yet to use. They have used eras from Rome to the napoleonic wars. I doubt they go farther into the future.

Could it before Rome, and be even more ancient? I mean are they planning some Sumerian, Babylonian, ancient Egyptian, ancient Persian, Phoenician, and ancient Greece kind of deal? Or are they thinking of doing some type of Chinese total war, or even some kind of African total war.

They also recently announced that the new total war game will be from a historical era they have not used before.

I'm dissappointed since I would have been ecstatic over medieval 3 or empire 2. I can't think of an era that they have yet to use. They have used eras from Rome to the napoleonic wars. I doubt they go farther into the future.

Could it before Rome, and be even more ancient? I mean are they planning some Sumerian, Babylonian, ancient Egyptian, ancient Persian, Phoenician, and ancient Greece kind of deal? Or are they thinking of doing some type of Chinese total war, or even some kind of African total war.

I could see them leaving the European landmass. that would be pretty darn interesting too. ancient Americas too. they kinda did with Medieval 2 but there wasn't much there.

I could see them leaving the European landmass. that would be pretty darn interesting too. ancient Americas too. they kinda did with Medieval 2 but there wasn't much there.

I may be biased but I like the sound of "Persian Total War"

you mean Rome 2? depending on the era I would agree. but frankly I am ready to get away from that tarpit too.

Rome 2 showed the Parthian dynasty and Atilla showed the Sassanid, all of which being Persian empires, but they have yet to show the Achaemenid dynasty, which is the most notable Persian empire.

I can imagine an early game with just a small Persian province in which Cyrus the great is the king, and the rest of the map will range from Eastern Europe /Asia Minor to northern India. Why I think this could possibly would is because you can begin the game at 500ish BC which would consist of a small Persian kingdom that is vassalized by the medians, and then you have the Babylonians, Assyrians, Israelites, Phoenicians, ancient Egyptians, nomadic Arabs, nomadic tribes to the north, eastern Indian kingdoms, and of course the Greek city states.

So I can see it starting 500ish BC and having a late game of 300ish BC where Alexander comes into play.

I just think it's the most diverse and plausible time period we have yet to explore.

Rome 2 showed the Parthian dynasty and Atilla showed the Sassanid, all of which being Persian empires, but they have yet to show the Achaemenid dynasty, which is the most notable Persian empire.

I can imagine an early game with just a small Persian province in which Cyrus the great is the king, and the rest of the map will range from Eastern Europe /Asia Minor to northern India. Why I think this could possibly would is because you can begin the game at 500ish BC which would consist of a small Persian kingdom that is vassalized by the medians, and then you have the Babylonians, Assyrians, Israelites, Phoenicians, ancient Egyptians, nomadic Arabs, nomadic tribes to the north, eastern Indian kingdoms, and of course the Greek city states.

So I can see it starting 500ish BC and having a late game of 300ish BC where Alexander comes into play.

I just think it's the most diverse and plausible time period we have yet to explore.

I would buy it and play it until i hit that 200 hour plateau and then i would probably move on. again it sounds too much like Rome 2. jmo

if you want real diversity a real eastern Asia total war would have tons. Shogun was pretty bleh when it came to diversity but was still fun. something along the coasts so it wouldnt just become China Total War. depending on the era you could get Mongolians, Chinese (tons of dynasties to choose from), Koreans, Japanese and even some of the Phillipines and Indo China area. probably some time around the year 1000. i would stop it before the European powers showed up.

Empire total war was pretty monochromatic and is still maybe my favorite one. I have a feeling once finished WTW will be. point being is that diversity may not mean a whole lot if the game works or doesn't work around it.

I wonder if the American Civil War or later might be on the table?

Too specific to Americans, wouldn't sell well internationally. Also, only two sides would create no diversity.

early colonization might be interesting. you play as the natives and the Europeans roll up like the late game Mongolians and Timirids and ruin your day.

not sure who your market is but that would be an interesting era and play style

I would buy it and play it until i hit that 200 hour plateau and then i would probably move on. again it sounds too much like Rome 2. jmo

if you want real diversity a real eastern Asia total war would have tons. Shogun was pretty bleh when it came to diversity but was still fun. something along the coasts so it wouldnt just become China Total War. depending on the era you could get Mongolians, Chinese (tons of dynasties to choose from), Koreans, Japanese and even some of the Phillipines and Indo China area. probably some time around the year 1000. i would stop it before the European powers showed up.

Empire total war was pretty monochromatic and is still maybe my favorite one. I have a feeling once finished WTW will be. point being is that diversity may not mean a whole lot if the game works or doesn't work around it.

I would love a new version of empire. I think the grand appeal of empire makes it really intriguing.

I would love a new version of empire. I think the grand appeal of empire makes it really intriguing.

i think the main thing in Empire that makes it so intriguing is just the map edges you can go beyond. Rome 2 was bigger but the allure of that other place is too much in Empire. The one draw back is that no threat ever came from America. The Marathans usually make a push from India but no threat arises from America, even if you can get the Americans to rebel.

and it was the first of so many different mechanics.

First naval battles
first real trade resources
first time limiting buildings, not all towns were the big ones.
tertiary buildings in the landscape
technology
weather
the ability to buy and sell regions (seriously this needs to be brought back)

i can still play the crap out of Empire. depending on how many battles I fight in person I could just about finish a campaign in a full day of gaming.

Wood Elves launched today. I will be excited to see how they play. it changes the campaign map which will be exciting to see. both the physical but also the direction/way attacks and empires can spread.

Wood Elves launched today. I will be excited to see how they play. it changes the campaign map which will be exciting to see. both the physical but also the direction/way attacks and empires can spread.

Looking forward to it as well

they are rough to get going. at best you can only get a small garrison. the amount of archers is nice, but if you go that way you have to dedicate your general to that with his skills.

also I would recommend NOT doing multiplayer with both players being wood elves. not having the oak sucks!

30 turns in and then beastmen have already been eliminated, and I have already built alliances with all the other elve factions and my neighbor Bretonnian faction. Seems too easy too far.

30 turns in and then beastmen have already been eliminated, and I have already built alliances with all the other elve factions and my neighbor Bretonnian faction. Seems too easy too far.

empire building is the issue I have. and I would actually suggest conquering your wood elf buddies. if you confederate you get their capital with a tier 5 capitol that drains your amber way too much.

also they can straight table chaos like nothing I have seen. 4 battles, 4 heroic or decisive wins. I play on hard so it wasn't going light. ambush is actually not that good of an idea vs chaos. you deploy too close, no chance to pick them apart.

also Wildwood Rangers will eat anything "large". those minotaurs that normally nom your army are batting less than .500 on the k/d ratio. Got two giants to fight? Apply one application of wildwood rangers and supplement with some glade guard archers and they will be out of your way in no time.

honestly, with how good they are vs chaos I expect a rebalance real soon

only draw back is like I said, empire buildings. late game (post chaos) and I hold less than 20 regions. but frankly with the army i have i don't need any more.

empire building is the issue I have. and I would actually suggest conquering your wood elf buddies. if you confederate you get their capital with a tier 5 capitol that drains your amber way too much.

also they can straight table chaos like nothing I have seen. 4 battles, 4 heroic or decisive wins. I play on hard so it wasn't going light. ambush is actually not that good of an idea vs chaos. you deploy too close, no chance to pick them apart.

also Wildwood Rangers will eat anything "large". those minotaurs that normally nom your army are batting less than .500 on the k/d ratio. Got two giants to fight? Apply one application of wildwood rangers and supplement with some glade guard archers and they will be out of your way in no time.

honestly, with how good they are vs chaos I expect a rebalance real soon

only draw back is like I said, empire buildings. late game (post chaos) and I hold less than 20 regions. but frankly with the army i have i don't need any more.

I've been playing with the Wood Elves on hard difficulty and it seems a bit easier than I expected. I hit a bit of a rough patch in the beginning because I was in a bit of an amber crisis, but then I realized the easiest solution to my problem.

Diplomacy is by far the easiest route for the wood elves. Simply play defensive for the beginning portion of the game and focus on wiping out neighboring greenskin and beastmen factions. Invest in economical buildings, and forget about investing in buildings that require amber units this early in the game.

Initially build alliances with the other elvish factions. Then use that amber to unlock tech on various bonuses with relationships for all the cultures except vampires and greenskins. I would advise to simply acknowledge the greenskins and the vampires as enemies for the entire game, as you want to focus on developing alliances with literally all human factions and the dwarves.

It got to a point where I built alliances with every faction that is human or dwarvish and had 30-40+ amber available to me. I then decides to build a confederation with all the other elvish factions. I did take a bit of a hit with the high amber deficit by annexing the elvish settlements, but I still had a healthy portion left after the confederations due to my alliances.

My economy skyrocketed after taking those cities and I was able to make three impressive stacks. Turns went by and I was able to easily able to take care of the chaos hordes. After they were defeated the diplomacy became a bit more problematic due to everyone obviously wanting to fight eachother.

I had to sacrifice my brettonian and estalian and tilea alliances in order to maintain a healthy relationship with the empire and dwarves. At this point I have probably colonized 25+ settlements that have been razed earlier by the beastmen or chaos hordes.

I am about to finish the campaign and it has gone very smoothly once I was able to form a confederation with the other factions. This has been much easier than playing as the chaos horde.

Also, a sisters of thorn with wild riders combination will obliterate missile cavalry. The wild riders are incredibly cheap with orion and I find them very fast and effective.

agree on the wild riders. its great that a shock cav can catch those dang marauder cav even without the hex.

They are definitely a unique play style. this is what I was talking about from the beginning. once this game gets all the factions in there Warhammer Total War will be a fantastic game. they are doing a great job getting the lore/play styles right. honestly though this is where the game should have been at launch.

agree on the wild riders. its great that a shock cav can catch those dang marauder cav even without the hex.

They are definitely a unique play style. this is what I was talking about from the beginning. once this game gets all the factions in there Warhammer Total War will be a fantastic game. they are doing a great job getting the lore/play styles right. honestly though this is where the game should have been at launch.

I wasn't familiar with the warhammer world before, but I did a bit of research and realized how many factions are still left out. As the game becomes more diverse, it has the potential of being an all time great.

I don't know how much you looked into them but. as far as major factions still left to do. there is the High Elves (good guys) and Dark Elves (bad guys) who will play pretty close to the Wood Elves; Lizardmen (good guys) will fight more like chaos, but not as elite but with empire building. Bretonnia (good guys) we already have in the game even if you can't play. Skaven (bad guys) will be a massive horde army. Ogres (neutral but slightly weighhted towards bad) will be a hard hitting army probably a horde. Tomb Kings (neutral but leans slightly towards good) are an undead army without the Vamps. They might make Daemons (bad guys) their own army too, but for most of the lore they were part of the Chaos Army.

I don't know how much you looked into them but. as far as major factions still left to do. there is the High Elves (good guys) and Dark Elves (bad guys) who will play pretty close to the Wood Elves; Lizardmen (good guys) will fight more like chaos, but not as elite but with empire building. Bretonnia (good guys) we already have in the game even if you can't play. Skaven (bad guys) will be a massive horde army. Ogres (neutral but slightly weighhted towards bad) will be a hard hitting army probably a horde. Tomb Kings (neutral but leans slightly towards good) are an undead army without the Vamps. They might make Daemons (bad guys) their own army too, but for most of the lore they were part of the Chaos Army.

That's certainly a lot of factions that we have yet to see. Will the wood elves be the last new faction of this installment?

That's certainly a lot of factions that we have yet to see. Will the wood elves be the last new faction of this installment?

Just finished my campaign with the wood elves. It ended with me and the dwarves being the only two factions left. It was interesting seeing much of the map being turned into a giant green forest as I occupied settlement after settlement. Once you start to get going you really get going.

VN Store

Back