Top Gun Maverick

More Danger Zone!

"Reports tonight are that Top Gun 3 is in development at Paramount with Top Gun:Maverick co-writer Ehren Kruger currently writing a draft.

The word is that the project would reunite Cruise with Maverick‘s Miles Teller and Glen Powell as well as producers Jerry Bruckheimer and David Ellison. Joe Kosinski, will reportedly either direct or produce."

Maybe they’ll be taking on those pesky Jan 6th insurrectionists that were armed with fire extinguishers.

Is Tom Cruise the only true box office draw anymore? Seems he is the last true “must see” actor.

Reactions: CagleMtnVol
Is Tom Cruise the only true box office draw anymore? Seems he is the last true “must see” actor.
The real problems are a lack of imagination and a focus on the woke ideology. Everything is a remake these days. Heck, they've even got a remake of Road House coming. Is there no creativity in this world anymore?

The real problems are a lack of imagination and a focus on the woke ideology. Everything is a remake these days. Heck, they've even got a remake of Road House coming. Is there no creativity in this world anymore?
That remake looks absolutely awful.

Reactions: Pennheel
Is HE even that much of a draw? Mission Impossible underperformed this past summer.

I think Top Gun was heavily fueled by nostalgia and people just ready to get out post pandemic.

In fact, aside from TG, looking over his list of films the last one I watched with him in it was Tropic Thunder and he wasn’t even the star not really even recognizable. Before that was Minority Report which I did enjoy quite a bit.

Is HE even that much of a draw? Mission Impossible underperformed this past summer.

I think Top Gun was heavily fueled by nostalgia and people just ready to get out post pandemic.

In fact, aside from TG, looking over his list of films the last one I watched with him in it was Tropic Thunder and he wasn’t even the star not really even recognizable. Before that was Minority Report which I did enjoy quite a bit.
I just checked the revenue on the last MI movie, and it looks like it made a half billion world wide, and revenue doubled its budget, so I’d say he’s still a box office draw. People just don’t go to the movies as much.

I just checked the revenue on the last MI movie, and it looks like it made a half billion world wide, and revenue doubled its budget, so I’d say he’s still a box office draw. People just don’t go to the movies as much.

I wasn’t saying it flopped, just that it underperformed expectations. Especially compared to Top Gun the year before. In 2023 context it did well I suppose.

Maybe it’s just me. Or maybe he just isn’t in movies that interest me. I know I wouldn’t watch a movie just because he is in it. But if he is in a movie and the trailer looks good I wouldn’t pass just because he’s in it either.

The complaints about remakes is decades old. That isn’t really the problem. Nor is “woke ideology” whatever that means to you. The problem is what general audiences are willing to hand over their hard earned money to watch, hopefully multiple times.

People in general don’t like an unknown quantity. They like things that are familiar on some level. Based on something they know like a book, or an old TV show, or just rehashing an old movie.

Making movies is a capitalist endeavor. The financial backers don’t like taking risks on new ideas. A popular actor or known director can mitigate a little of that concern but those usually come at a premium price.

Reactions: Pennheel
At least with a remake like Top Gun,it's actually entertaining. I went in not knowing what to expect,but it was a very action packed movie.

Now, speaking of Roadhouse... Yeah,Jake Gyllenhaal and Conor McGregor don't seem as the type I'd associate with that kind of movie. Of course it's hard to replace Swayze,Sam Elliott and Terry Funk. It's a cult classic for a reason.

VN Store

Back