Top 25 teams with point guard concerns

Are we talking about the same Mark Few that Josh Pastner beat head to head in Seattle 2 years ago?

Josh Pastner is just terrible at bench coaching. Like the time his Tigers won a 2OT game in Hawaii by 2 pts. He comes out a month later against the same team, decides to press and force the other team's out of shape big man to bring the ball up instead of their PG. Other team never gets into any kind of offensive rhythm and only scores 50 pts. Pastner's team wins by 20 the second go round.
Give me the guy who doesn't lose at home in postseason to teams like Mercer over the guy who does.

woo hoo we beat the Rainbows!!! Nothing like a win over Hawaii to prove your coach gets it.

lol Thank you sir, I needed that....

woo hoo we beat the Rainbows!!! Nothing like a win over Hawaii to prove your coach gets it.

lol Thank you sir, I needed that....

Jlaw-what.gif

Reactions: 1 person
I see what you're saying. You're comparing similar results from two different paths. That's not what I got from your original post, but it's more clear now.

My guess as to why they are viewed differently is because of the product on the court. One coach theoretically started out with a decided advantage (better players) and in the end, only could muster the same result as a coach whose players had to play above their talent level to achieve the same success.

If a team littered with top-100 talent goes 18-12 and a team with average "3-star" talent does the same against a similar schedule, I'd be more impressed with the team that overachieved. To me, that's the sign of better coaching.

I don't care if the results are the same, but it is all about maximum efficiency and success. If you have better players as a coach, then you are not doing your job if another coach can succeed equally with lesser talent. As a coach, you have to be able to develop and get everything out of your players. Isn't that what we do in life? Achieve to learn, grow, and develop? Yes, I know kind of sappy. But, it is the point.

Your job as a coach is to develop your players to the fullest, and if you are a better recruiter, then you damn well better succeed more than the coach that doesn't recruit as well. In the end, if you are known as a great coach that develops talent, then the players will come.

I don't care if the results are the same, but it is all about maximum efficiency and success. If you have better players as a coach, then you are not doing your job if another coach can succeed equally with lesser talent. As a coach, you have to be able to develop and get everything out of your players. Isn't that what we do in life? Achieve to learn, grow, and develop? Yes, I know kind of sappy. But, it is the point.

Your job as a coach is to develop your players to the fullest, and if you are a better recruiter, then you damn well better succeed more than the coach that doesn't recruit as well. In the end, if you are known as a great coach that develops talent, then the players will come.

So it's acceptable, to you, to be a good coach and an average recruiter, but not a good recruiter and an average coach?

I rest my case.

Are we talking about the same Mark Few that Josh Pastner beat head to head in Seattle 2 years ago?

Josh Pastner is just terrible at bench coaching. Like the time his Tigers won a 2OT game in Hawaii by 2 pts. He comes out a month later against the same team, decides to press and force the other team's out of shape big man to bring the ball up instead of their PG. Other team never gets into any kind of offensive rhythm and only scores 50 pts. Pastner's team wins by 20 the second go round.

Give me the guy who doesn't lose at home in postseason to teams like Mercer over the guy who does.

Sure- everything can be compared as easily as you say. CCM was in his first year with a very inexperienced roster with no returning starters. Kind of like Pastner in his first year. Maybe we should compare Pastner during his first year against Pearl. It's not quite that simple, but I wish it was.

Pastner should be judged in comparison to other like-situated coaches. He's got a pretty good resume if you look at it unbiasedly; for some reason, he gets beat up on because he wins games with Jimmies and Joes rather than X's and O's.

Personally, I don't care how you win, so long as you win (within the frame of NCAA rules). If I'm a Memphis fan (or general critic of Pastner), I'm not beating him up because he wins with talent vs game management/floor coaching. I'm beating him up because he seemingly has underachieved recently with that talent.

You have some that will just dog him out to get a rise out of Memphis fans, but you are correct in that his resume isn't bad. It's just not as good as it could/should be IMO.

So it's acceptable, to you, to be a good coach and an average recruiter, but not a good recruiter and an average coach?

I rest my case.

I don't know what case you are referring to.

But, what you are saying is dumb. As a coach, you should develop your talent to its fullest. If you are a better recruiter, then you will win alot of games. As a coach, the point is to achieve maximum success with your players.

Ok, you got me. Josh Pastner is a better coach than Mark Few.

Cuonzo Martin is better than Billy Donovan too. After all, he's 3-0 against him.

Surely, even you see the high degree of retardation with those comparisons.

Personally, I don't care how you win, so long as you win (within the frame of NCAA rules). If I'm a Memphis fan (or general critic of Pastner), I'm not beating him up because he wins with talent vs game management/floor coaching. I'm beating him up because he seemingly has underachieved recently with that talent.

You have some that will just dog him out to get a rise out of Memphis fans, but you are correct in that his resume isn't bad. It's just not as good as it could/should be IMO.

Agree on all points.

Ha, I was thinking that earlier today. It gets old watching every other thread devolve into a Memphis pissing match.

And it's the same thing over and over. It's actually starting to not be started by Memphis fans but our own. We can argue with them when we play them again.

Reactions: 1 person
We don't need great offensive production. Just someone who can handle the rock and distribute it. We have plenty of options. There shouldn't be much of a scoring need from our PG this year.

you are 100% correct.who ever the pg is will have a good shot at leading the sec in assits.

We keep hearing really good things about Thompson, and with Austin coming in too, I don't think we'll be on this list for long.

VN Store

Back