top 25 most hardcore college football fan base

I would put Bama at number one. Football is all they have in their miserable little third world banana republic, so they engage in coach worship and cart their trophies around in the finest of Alabama stores, like Walmart.
Maybe God gives them a bone because, other than football, they pretty much suck at the game of life.

Reactions: 1 person
I have not encountered many Michigan fans in my days, so I can't speak on them being number 1. Rest of the top 10 seems reasonable. I can't see us any lower than 11th. No way Iowa and SC are ahead of us.

i thought the same thing...

I also protest the Oregon listing, anyone who lives/lived in the NW knows how fair weather those fans are,

Not sure what you are referencing, I've been going to Duck games for 40 years.

I would agree that there are a few problems with the formula for the rankings. For example: I'd be curious where ND fit in the rankings. I'd have expected them to rank in the top 25. I would have expected the Ducks to rank lower until I looked at how they rank the schools.

Also, stadium size is perhaps over weighted in the rankings. For example: Oregon ranks #1 in percent of capacity at 106.4% yet scores poorly against the schools with the very large stadiums.

I also protest the Oregon listing, anyone who lives/lived in the NW knows how fair weather those fans are,

This +1 (billion). No effing way Oregon fans are more hard core that UT fans, or any other SEC school, even business schools in Nashville. Oregon is a johnny come lately, and when they start to fall back towrds the middle of the SEC pack, all the lil Duckies will run to their closets, put on their 'Blazer jerseys and will never be heard from again. The Oregon sports fans are the least knowledgeable fans of any state I have lived in, even California fans are better. List is crap.

But yeah, interesting first post. Now find a list that states Pac NW food is better than fried chicken, country ham and biscuits and gravy :).

We all know how UT is. But for those who've not been to Morgantown, Fayetteville (actually little rock is awesome)or Camp Randall they're great venues for football.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

This +1 (billion). No effing way Oregon fans are more hard core that UT fans, or any other SEC school, even business schools in Nashville. Oregon is a johnny come lately, and when they start to fall back towrds the middle of the SEC pack, all the lil Duckies will run to their closets, put on their 'Blazer jerseys and will never be heard from again. The Oregon sports fans are the least knowledgeable fans of any state I have lived in, even California fans are better. List is crap.

But yeah, interesting first post. Now find a list that states Pac NW food is better than fried chicken, country ham and biscuits and gravy :).

Who cares about this ranking system. First, if you took the time to look at how this ranking was done, you'd know it only applies to ONE year. So the "Johnny come lately" comment is not relevant to the poll.

So you lived in Oregon, I'm curious where. You didn't actually try to live in Oregon and tell Oregon fans they stunk because they weren't anywhere near the SEC when it comes to football did you? As an Oregon fan who's traveled most of this country, including SEC country and Knoxville, I'd never tell Tenn fans they were stupid because the PAC-12 is clearly better than the SEC and SEC fans are stupid. Think about it for a minute, just what kind of a response do you think someone would get? Respect? not likely...... Rational conversation? Not likely........ etc.

PEACE...........

Who cares about this ranking system. First, if you took the time to look at how this ranking was done, you'd know it only applies to ONE year. So the "Johnny come lately" comment is not relevant to the poll.

So you lived in Oregon, I'm curious where. You didn't actually try to live in Oregon and tell Oregon fans they stunk because they weren't anywhere near the SEC when it comes to football did you? As an Oregon fan who's traveled most of this country, including SEC country and Knoxville, I'd never tell Tenn fans they were stupid because the PAC-12 is clearly better than the SEC and SEC fans are stupid. Think about it for a minute, just what kind of a response do you think someone would get? Respect? not likely...... Rational conversation? Not likely........ etc.

PEACE...........

I have no problem with the Ducks being ranked. I actually went to a game there about 10 years ago when the Ducks had a game against U DUB and had a blast.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

Kind of a pointless list since there is no agreed criteria for what makes one fan base more "hardcore" than another.

Is it consecutive sell outs? Is it alumni donations? Is it average decibel level for home games?

Meh, list is goofy.

This was a total disrespect to the Vol fanbase. To put that many schools in front of one of the most rabid fanbases in the country is insane. I can understand taking into account our attendance being down but we are top knotch everywhere else especially social media. Hell we have recruits recruiting recruits. What other school is doing that on the scale that we are? Gobbligook!

I don't agree with the ranking! Any fan base that can get completely bent out of shape by a rumor of a Monday night football commentator becoming head coach should be worthy of at least a top 10 or better! That doesn't include all of the legitimate pluses of being a Vol fan that should bump us up even further. I have to admit it is nice to be ranked in something related to football:)
mh

I agree with USCe over Tennessee.... We lose a few games or have a bad couple yrs, people throw in the towel, cry and say they will not spend another dollar on UT football etc.. Gamecock fans sold out every home game when they would go 0-12..before Lou took over..JMO

Lou was winless in his first year there too, wasn't he?

th

GO VOLS..
GO BIG ORANGE .......... :rock:

PEACE...........

Sorry to ruffle your feathers, but yeah, I have attempted to have conversations with the locals about sports, usually only to find that it's a waste of breath. So I just cut the conversation short and change the subject. FYI, I STILL live in Oregon (Portland), and I get along just fine, thank you. The state has many things to recommend it, sports is just not one of them.

Outside of their limited knowledge of pro basketball (comprised mostly of Blazers related issues) Oregonians are THE LEAST KNOWLEDGEABLE SPORT FANS IN ANY STATE I HAVE LIVED IN. I have had interesting conversations with people in Philly (fanatic, a bit rude, but knowledgeable) New York (see Philly), Chicago (GREAT sports town) Atlanta (average on everything else, highly knowledgeable about college football)....I could go on, but I think I've made my point.

Frankly, I could care less how the rankings were done, stating that Oregon fans are hard core about college football is just plain inaccurate. The fact that the poll is based on one year's worth of data only serves to validate my statement that the poll is crap.

With a capacity of 80,000 it's a lot easier than 102,455. UT's average attendance was 89,000 last year.

They also didn't sell out every game. UT's attendance was lowest for the Akron game at 81,000. South Carolina dipped under 80,000 4 times.

So, try again?

Just for your info, I was talking about before Lou took over and Lou's 1st year..they went 0-12. Still supported the team. UT fans wouldn't do that. FYI, Willams Brice holds 87-89K....try again:yes:

Or you could argue that they continued to support s***... Fans talk with their wallets, not only did Dooley deserve to be fired for his performance, we couldn't afford NOT to fire him as well.
I agree with Dooley needing to be fired. I was just saying we have a lot of fair weather fans. When we win everyone is all in, when it gets tough a lot jump ship till we start winning again.:ermm:

Apparently no one has noticed all the empty seats in Neyland the last few years... #17 is a testament to how solid our fan base really is considering the poor product on the field, the lack of leadership from the AD, and no real sense of it ending soon (talking from last year's perspective). Let's see that list in 4 years if Butch is able to bring us back to relevance.

Calls of another team's fan base as being "fair-weather" echo loudly from the upper-tier in our own house.

Let him have his desperate moment decrying the "fanhood" of most UT supporters.
I was just stating a fact...nothing desperate. Sorry i got your panties in a bunch. My family has been a Vol supporter for many years, and now I'm in a place in my life i can support more myself.:ermm:

So yes I would agree, Tennessee has been down for 5 years. But BUTCHER is about to awake a sleeping giant fan base.

VN Store

Back