Tobias Harris on Cuonzo departure

That petition is a red herring. It (seemingly was the only cry loud enough to be heard by the coaching staff) is most likely the true impetus for "coaching up" and higher consistency during the sweet 16 run. We are a passionate fan base; we should be, and we expect the head of a program to be passionate as well - that passion and desire to win should match or exceed the fans' passion. In my ignorant opinion, the pattern of loosing games which shouldn't be lost, is specifically addressed and swiftly resolved by tier-1 passionate coaches.

If you are a D1 coach at school with a fan-base the size of Tennessee, and you become consistent at loosing weird matchups - underperforming for inexplicable reasons against inferior opponents... and you don't address the issue or correct the issue, you should expect unrest. The dollars were not enough motivation to coach to consistency, when it felt "personal", things seem to turn around.

With that said, as far as I can tell, Coach Martin was the kind of guy I would want my kid playing under. I have always hoped the best for he and his loved ones. Those who seem to get their kicks by calling him names or changing his last name to be something denigrating are the ones who give the black eye.... I doubt if I will ever understand that.

Last edited:
um not really.......Tennessee basketball is not and has not been nationally relevant since CCM took over until the NCAAT run. We really arent big news in Natl Sports Media. Heck even a Cal sports writer had little to no knowledge of CCM and his career save for the fact that he had been the coach at UT. Anyone in the "know" knows that CCM was not a good fit at UT and was itching to leave UT with the first chance he got given the rather bland/average roster he had going into next year. How many of those media personalities have watched more than a handful of UT bball games each of the last three years???

Perception has more power than reality. Regardless of whether we "forced" Cuonzo out or not, we are starting to get the reputation of the mattress burning hicks that will turn on their coach at the first sign of trouble. Being a Vol fan my whole life, I know for a fact that this is not true. We are a very passionate fanbase that wants nothing but the best for our team. The national media is giving us a bad rep however, and things such as the petition only add fuel to this fire. And regardless of what many think, coaches do look at a fanbase's history and it is a major factor in their decision. No one wants to wants to take a job where they will not be given a fair chance by their fans. Again regardless of whether we gave Martin a fair chance, the national perception is that we didn't.

Now with that said, the Cuonzo situation and BBB is in the past now though. I like many of you, am just looking forward to the hiring of a new coach and hope that all of VN can get behind him. GBO!

The extremely loyalty and love shown to even awful coaches isn't news worthy, but we as a fanbase are actually probably the most loyal bunch in the SEC.

Auburn, Bama, Florida, Arkansas, Kentucky, etc you don't perform there, you get ran out on a rail immediately and I never see their fans crying because it happened.

We had large numbers who wanted Buzz and Dooley to come back.

Reactions: 1 person
Everyone wants to weigh-in with the benefit of hindsight and point the finger of blame. Everyone wants to sound like they knew better and feel like they're better people than those other people who are supposedly to blame for the perceived injustice.

As someone who did not sign any petition, I don't blame any of those who did. They're as entitled to their opinion as anyone else. I can also say that I was not particularly disappointed that Martin left.

Umm, fans ran him out of town? I believe he decided to enter the draft on his own behalf. I, for one, would have loved to see him play at UT longer than a season.

Let me ask an honest question...I did not sign the petition, in fact I never even read it...Wasn't the entire intent of the petition to ask that CBP be hired IF,IF,IF,...we had to replace our coach...which by any judgment day honest persons account....after the second T A&M loss and the Vandy loss we CERTAINLY appeared to be headed in that direction...Correct me if I'm wrong...honestly...because its starting to appear to me that this whole thing has been hi-jacked by story-hungry media and social injustice nerds....Blast away...or correct me if I'm wrong...

Reactions: 5 people
2 NIT bust outs and an under performing team barely making the tourney is crap. Pearl spoiled us by beating #1 ranked teams and owning Florida and by beating UK every now and then. Poor recruiting and losing McRae and Stokes made his decision easy. If a petition ran him off then he needs thicker skin. The tourney run was fun and I wish Martin the best. Go Vols!!

Let me ask an honest question...I did not sign the petition, in fact I never even read it...Wasn't the entire intent of the petition to ask that CBP be hired IF,IF,IF,...we had to replace our coach...which by any judgment day honest persons account....after the second T A&M loss and the Vandy loss we CERTAINLY appeared to be headed in that direction...Correct me if I'm wrong...honestly...because its starting to appear to me that this whole thing has been hi-jacked by story-hungry media and social injustice nerds....Blast away...or correct me if I'm wrong...

Accurate, very, very accurate.

Reactions: 2 people

Quit confusing the issues with facts. This is about the perceptions of the raving lunatic fringe. Unfortunately some happen to be ex-UT players who are butt hurt since they know it is on them that Zo is gone. That includes Tobias who didn't stick around to help either.

Not sure who Harris has been talking to but the majority of people aren't upset that Martin left, as a matter of fact a good portion of people are like Phil Robertson, happy, happy, happy.

Yes I have noticed they go to extremes to justify their involvement in Martin leaving how it is a good thing. They have made us the laughing stock of the sports world.

Falling off a cliff (bad seasons) after this season would make us a laughing stock. Waiting till next season (or the season after) to fire Martin would make us a laughing stock.

The fans (some of us) actually showing that we do have some say, is a good thing. Motivating the players to get their act together was a good thing. Forcing coach to coach was a good thing.

The national media acting as if we were still signing the petition at the end of the season is just terrible/sensationalist journalism. Bandwagon (with the media) fans can act all intelligent now, but again, where were they when we were losing?

"Tennessee has some of the best fans in the country," Harris said. "You have to support your coach through whatever it is.

"To think," he added, "that you had people signing petitions so he could get fired, then the man leads the team to the Sweet 16, and now he's decided to go to California and everybody's upset. But at the same time, if you look at all the stuff, it's kind of like the fans kind of ran him out of there." - from Times Free Press

Found it interesting being that Harris never actually played for 'zo. Thought his comments summed it up perfectly though. We're a great, passionate fanbase, but we're really not doing ourselves any favors with all of this.

Here is an example of someone that has been listening to the mainstream media. There was never a petition to fire Martin. It's obvious that he like most people in the media never read the petition.

Yes I have noticed they go to extremes to justify their involvement in Martin leaving how it is a good thing. They have made us the laughing stock of the sports world.

Don't sell yourself short :rofl: :lolabove:

That routine you just spouted is priceless!

"Tennessee has some of the best fans in the country," Harris said. "You have to support your coach through whatever it is.

"To think," he added, "that you had people signing petitions so he could get fired, then the man leads the team to the Sweet 16, and now he's decided to go to California and everybody's upset. But at the same time, if you look at all the stuff, it's kind of like the fans kind of ran him out of there." - from Times Free Press

Found it interesting being that Harris never actually played for 'zo. Thought his comments summed it up perfectly though. We're a great, passionate fanbase, but we're really not doing ourselves any favors with all of this.

that entirely depends on the replacement, my friend

Most fans were not calling for his head until the team grossly underperformed against the likes of Vandy, TAM, UTEP. We could see another NIT run. Cuonzo played the team off against the fans to motivate them into a great run in the tourney.

I believe Cuonzo just wanted to coach BB and not do the other things needed to succeed at UT. He is introverted and does a poor job of motivating his team except when he pitted them against the fans. He whined about the booster not letting him use the private jet, but he really did a poor job relating the donors. He just wanted to coach BB and didn't want to bother with all the other distractions. So after the team was playing poorly the donor probably thought his gift wasn't appreciated or was throwing good money after bad.

Cuonzo didn't want to be here so, good riddance.

You are CORRECT, sir!:hi:

I'm not sure I would say "everyone is upset". Hiring a new coach and saving 1.3 million or more in the process.

He's talking about the bi-polar nature of the outspoken critics of Martin. Wanted him gone but then make silly posts about him speaking to other teams. Totally illogical behavior. I'd have put Knoxville in my rearview mirror also.

I think we all learned a lesson of how loud a fan base can get and who we can be heard by. The petition was a mistake. Time to move on.

He's talking about the bi-polar nature of the outspoken critics of Martin. Wanted him gone but then make silly posts about him speaking to other teams. Totally illogical behavior. I'd have put Knoxville in my rearview mirror also.

Wish you would...

.....Wish you would :unsure:

Sounds like he's just parroting the national media if you ask me.

Whose to say all of those signatures were from tn fans? Could other schools fans sign it to make it look even worse?

Stop with this nonsense. Some Vol fans are obsessed with conspiracy theories when the fanbase is under attack. It's the same in the recruiting forum with tweets. It was all UT fans. Accept and deal with it. Passion comes both way, positive and negative.

In regards to CCM. Anyone blaming the fanbase, who provides a top ten attendance, is out of touch and not educated with all the details.

I think we all learned a lesson of how loud a fan base can get and who we can be heard by. The petition was a mistake. Time to move on.

The petition was a mistake? If Cuonzo leads Cal to a Sweet 16 in the next 3 years, and if Bruce Pearl flops at Auburn (which will be hard to do considering a flop would be average there) then it was a mistake.

IIRC, the petition asked UT Brass to bring Pearl back. A coach who was obviously going to take a good job his year. A coach who had payed his penalties (over the top IMO). A coach who loved UT and was at least it's second most successful of all time.
Martin was underachieving with superior talent in his third season, had dropped out of NCAAT the previous two years.

The notion that the fanbase could collectively inform the UTAD that they would receive Bruce back openly was of at least some value. IMO, they stupidly ignored a winner b/c of a desire to save face.

The petition (factually) pisses off the players and motivates them to play to the potential they had all season long. They go on another late season run that ends in a play-in game, which they win in OT! They get two good draws and get into the sweet 16 deservedly, then lose in a nail biter.

Everyone's not crying wanting Martin back. IMO, if the brass is too stupid to bring back Pearl, then just keep Martin who runs a good program, but lacks in coaching ability. Over time he may have matured and improved.

But, since he's gone, tons of fans are glad. UT has a good opportunity to upgrade here if we get the right guy. We can be an elite program at UT. I doubt if CCM would have gotten us there.

The petition DID make a difference. Whether it pays off remains to be seen. No need living on the upper crust of ESPN sensationalism when we should know better.

Embracing the fan base never really happened either. CM had the easiest path possible to make it to the sweet 16, and lost with an extremely talented roster. he underachieved his entire tenure here at UT. Especially in 2013. He was in way over his head. The timing couldn't be more perfect for everyone for him to move on.

VN Store

Back