To our rival school posters here...

With very few exceptions, I root for:
1. SEC vs. OOC
2. SEC teams on our schedule vs. SEC teams not on our schedule
3. SEC teams remaining on our schedule vs. SEC teams already played

The above rules are best case scenario for Tennesse IMO as long as we are winning. The exceptions to rules 2 and 3 come into play once we've lost to someone and are trailing in the standings because of the loss.
It is all about The University of Tennessee to me - whatever helps us most in the present season.
So how does the SEC winning OOC help the University of Tennessee? Those are our rivals. The more they win, the stronger they get, more national attention, could swing a recruits mind away from UT.

So how does the SEC winning OOC help the University of Tennessee? Those are our rivals. The more they win, the stronger they get, more national attention, could swing a recruits mind away from UT.

agreed. I never understand rooting for the conference, it doesnt help your team in any way, it just hurts you in recruiting.

Reactions: 1 person
Cheering for another school out of conference pride is something that I elect not to do. I am a fan of ONE college football team, the Good Guys.

I'd rather cheer for UT and see them lose every game than cheer for any other SEC school to win a single out of conference game.

Of course, I'm also a Cubs fan so I may very well be a sociopath with masochistic tendencies.

Bizarre comment.

Every week, I root for my two favorite teams:
1) Vols
2) whoever is playing Bama.

Reactions: 3 people
agreed. I never understand rooting for the conference, it doesnt help your team in any way, it just hurts you in recruiting.

It helps your team tremendously. Just look at the perception of the Big 10 right now. Do you really want to get to a point where the discussion would be if an undefeated SEC champion would lose out on a playoff spot to a one loss team from another conference because of strength of schedule? The profile of the entire SEC is very important to Tennessee.

Technically you could say the same for the other way too. Someone has to win the game, and while we do tend to compete with SEC teams for players more often, we recruit nationally. If the OOC team wins, then they get stronger, more national attention, swing recruits just like you said.

Now what happens if the whole conference starts dominating the SEC like say the PAC-12? Now, recruits are talking up the PAC-12 as the best conference in the country instead of the SEC. You lose recruits that way cause "the best go west" or some crap like that. You don't have to like them (I don't), but for the most part, we should always cheer for SEC rivals in OOC games.

It is about perception. I actually love for the other teams ( rivals, if you will) to be Very, Very good. That way, when we beat them, it shows we are even better.
By any other logic, you should be wanting to play in the Sun Belt, or whatever, so that all of your opponents are as weak as possible.

I guess understanding strength of schedule is not your strong suit. Say USuCk wins all their games, in conference and out, and then UT lays the wood to them. How do you think the recruits feel then? How about the quality of that win getting you into the final four playoff? In the SEC, take care of your business and let ALL the other details work themselves out.

I guess understanding strength of schedule is not your strong suit. Say USuCk wins all their games, in conference and out, and then UT lays the wood to them. How do you think the recruits feel then? How about the quality of that win getting you into the final four playoff? In the SEC, take care of your business and let ALL the other details work themselves out.

Holy crap a dawg making logical sense! Mind blown!

I usually root for our rivals to lose unless it's against one of my ooc hated teams, which are basically Ohio St, USCw, Notre Dame, and Oklahoma. The VP at my company is a huge Sooner fan so I desperately want us to beat the crap out of them.

You work for 21st... Amiright?????

I will probably get banned for posting that. :rofl:

This isn't Vandymania......If it's your opinion, so be it. No worse than UT fans saying they wish the earth would open up and swallow both Bama and FL teams.

You will of course probably be horse whipped by VN, but that is to be expected.....oh, and F*** Florida!

This isn't Vandymania......If it's your opinion, so be it. No worse than UT fans saying they wish the earth would open up and swallow both Bama and FL teams.

You will of course probably be horse whipped by VN, but that is to be expected.....oh, and F*** Florida!

This made me laugh!! Thanks :lol:

Vandymania: where logic and reason go to die

VN Store

Back