To all who want Butch gone

Pete is competing for and winning Super Bowls. Just stop. If you really have that attitude you're setting yourself up for major disappointment. We are and have been willing to pay fair market value for coaches to come here. The problem is they still don't..

It's a lost cause trying to reason with someone who makes that statement. Generally speaking, people really have trouble putting themselves in other people's positions and then deciding what they would do.

I have no clue what it is like to live Pete Carroll's life, but it doesn't take a rocket scientist to conclude that he probably isn't coming to the University of Tennessee to coach football. It's laughable.

Money isn't even an object with some of these coaches' names that are being thrown around hypothetically. Pete Carroll or Nick Saban wouldn't come here for $15 million or more. Despite what most people seem to think, it isn't exclusively about the money. That's a lot of it, but not all of it.

1. Chip Kelly

2. Dan Mullen, Les Miles, Bobby Petrino, Art Briles

3. Dan Mullen

So you want a guy who went 2-6, or a guy who couldn't win big at LSU, or a guy who just got beat by Kentucky, or a guy who covers up rape. It all makes sense now.

Reactions: 1 person
Another question: What current coaches (with a several year long track record) are always or almost always in the hunt for national titles besides Urban Meyer and Nick Saban?

I believe they are the only ones. Just some perspective here.

Another question: What current coaches (with a several year long track record) are always or almost always in the hunt for national titles besides Urban Meyer and Nick Saban?

Hell I'd be happy with a coach who was in the hunt for SEC titles!!!

Hell I'd be happy with a coach who was in the hunt for SEC titles!!!

I love how they say "just some perspective here".

"You Guys need some perspective, not everyone can walk into a program like Saban and turn into an immediate winner. Coach Dooley just needs your support, you have no idea the mess he walked into!"
- Volnation, 5 years ago after the Kentucky loss

Wanting a coach to come to Tennessee that covers up rape is the most foolish thing I've ever heard.

Not defending Art Briles, but what would say about Butch trying to cover for AJ Johnson? B/c many on here want a coach to stay who borderline did that.

I love how they say "just some perspective here".

"You Guys need some perspective, not everyone can walk into a program like Saban and turn into an immediate winner. Coach Dooley just needs your support, you have no idea the mess he walked into!"
- Volnation, 5 years ago after the Kentucky loss
Show me one post on this board from after the KY game that was supporting Dooley. It was universally understood that he had to go.

Not taking sides here in this thread. Not looking for a debate on whether or not he should be fired.

If you were the AD and fired Butch today:

1. Who is the first coach you target?
1. What other coaches would you target?
2. Of those you target, who do you think you'd have the best chance of hiring?

1. First target is Les Miles, no buyout to get him, might be able to get him cheaper than others, knows the SEC and can recruit with anyone in the country

2. Bobby Pertrino, proven winner at multiple coaching stops, gotta have lots of moral clauses in his contract but could be worth the risk

Jim Tressel, at the very least he could be a good caretaker for the program for a few years, doubt he'd be able reproduce the magic he had at OSU but still could be better than what we've seen this year, plus no buyout

Larry Fedora, doing pretty good at UNC could probably do better being the top coach on a campus that isn't a basketball school, not sure on recruiting but again a better school could produce better results

3. Probably have the best chance at getting Les Miles

There is one guy who's still coaching but is unemployed at the college level who fits that bill. Just sayin'

1. Chip Kelly

2. Dan Mullen, Les Miles, Bobby Petrino, Art Briles

3. Dan Mullen

Chip Kelly has a job
Dan Mullen has a job
Les Miles is an over the hill grass eating bad choice
Petrino has a job and also questionable moral history
Art Briles would fit in real well with our recent lawsuit. Press would love that one
Again Dan Mullen has a job so ..

James Franklin

If he was the coach at any school except Vandy at the time of Dooley's firing, I think the administration would have made a real run at him, but strongly pursuing the coach of your little brother is just too embarrassing of a look. It's like asking your ex-girlfriend's rich father for money.

You could throw 20 million at Pete Carroll and he wouldn't come here. Also, USC's sanctions were a result of what happened under his watch.

Not to mention him shacking up with a co-ed. Given our recent history, probably not a very smart move on our part.

Chip Kelly has a job
Dan Mullen has a job
Les Miles is an over the hill grass eating bad choice
Petrino has a job and also questionable moral history
Art Briles would fit in real well with our recent lawsuit. Press would love that one
Again Dan Mullen has a job so ..

Jeff Brohm has a job. Willie Taggart has a job. Mike MacIntyre has a job.

It's amazing how most of the names that people are throwing out there belong to people who are gainfully employed. What a crazy coincidence!

VN Store

Back