'19 TN /WR Lance Wilhoite

“My recruiting process is exciting right now,” said Wilhoite, who showed his talents at Sunday's National Playmakers Academy's camp. “I just heard from Notre Dame. That was exciting. Last Thursday I got an offer from Ohio State. That was a big offer for me because I didn't even know they were recruiting me. They came by the school last week and they told my coach they were going to offer me. That was big offer because Ohio State is a big time school and they are always winning titles.”

“The SEC is nice. Growing up in Tennessee, it's a big time state for SEC talent. I really like Tennessee,” Wilhoite said. “My friend (Adonis Otey) just committed to Tennessee. Me and Adonis are close. We have always talked about going to the same school. So when he committed to Tennessee it caused me to start thinking what was next for me in the recruiting process.”

What's up next is some summer trips as Wilhoite is planning on making several stops. “I'm probably going to see Ole Miss, Florida, Florida State, Ohio State, LSU and Tennessee. “I'm starting to build a relationship with coach Beard. I visited Georgia last when he was coaching done there. I met him then but we are just starting to get to know each other.”

While Wilhoite is just starting to foster a relationship with the Vols new receivers coach, he paid a good bit of attention to what he saw from the Vols last week with the NFL draft. “That's a huge deal because back then Tennessee was known as a team that would send talent to the NFL. Now they are building things back up and sending kids to the NFL again,” Wilhoite said.

“It's a big eye opener. As a kid you always want to go to the NFL. Plus, Tennessee is close to home and my family and friends would get to see you play for your state.”

-VQ

Reactions: 9 people
Rivals 3 Stripe Camp St. Louis: Recruiting news and notes

Wilhoite just picked up an offer from Ohio State but he said the Buckeyes have already shot way up his list. He is yet to visit Columbus but said he’s planning to visit and camp with the school this summer. Wilhoite grew up as a fan of Oregon but said his older brother is an Ohio State fan and has already been pushing the Buckeyes as well. Other programs in the mix for Wilhoite include Tennessee, LSU and several others.

The Volunteer State is loaded at wideout for the 2019 class, as Trey Knox, Kendrell Scurry, Shamar Nash and Lance Wilhoite are all priority targets for Tennessee next cycle. Wilhoite was the only one of the group who attended ‘Orange Carpet Day’ though, visiting Tennessee for the second time this spring last Saturday. After getting another opportunity to bond with new receivers coach Kevin Beard, the Vols have positioned themselves as a favorite landing spot for the 6-foot-3, 165-pound wideout from Franklin Road Academy.

“Tennessee sticks out more than others,” said Wilhoite, who also holds offers from Ohio State, LSU, South Carolina, Louisville and Kentucky, among others. “They’re a top school for (me).”

In recent weeks, the Nashville native has enjoyed getting to know Beard better, saying, “Coach (Zach) Azzanni left, but coach Beard, his replacement, it’s been good that he’s really trying to get to know me as a person, not only as a player.” “Other coaches kind of talk to you like you’re a grown individual, but I’m still young,” Wilhoite added. “I’m only 16. So (Beard) really understands that I’m younger, and he really isn’t trying to push me like I’m an 18-or 20-year-old kid, so he really gets to know me as a young teenager. Not as like a young adult. That’s why we vibe a lot.”

Wilhoite said he's drawn to Tennessee for multiple reasons — It's an SEC program. It's the in-state school — but also because the Vols present an opportunity for the 4-star wideout to play with his close friend and former FRA teammate/Vols commit Adonis Otey. Wilhoite is also buddies with several other top 2019 targets from the Nashville area including Knox, defensive end Joseph Anderson and corner Wesley Walker. “That plays a big role,” he said.

“We’re pretty stacked. 2019 probably has the strongest class for Tennessee. Me, Adonis, Trey Knox, Joe. Wesley. He really good, too, so there’s a lot of people who are really good. … I think Tennessee will be really good if we all stay home. I know it might not happen, but if it does happen, we’ll probably see ourselves in a few SEC Championships.”

Along with Tennessee, Wilhoite said Louisville, UK and South Carolina are standing out the most to him right now. Ohio State and LSU could be factors, too. He plans on visiting all the schools over the next year and then “narrow(ing) down my list after my junior season going into my senior season.”

-VQ

Reactions: 5 people
[twitter]https://twitter.com/swaggylance/status/944314260724879360[/twitter]
[twitter]https://twitter.com/taetaylor6/status/944434220411310080[/twitter]
[twitter]https://twitter.com/swaggylance/status/944434492810452992[/twitter]

Taylor getting in his ear a little. I like it.

Reactions: 4 people
State of Tennessee loaded in 2019 at the WR position.

Trey Knox, Lance Wilhoite, and Shamar Nash all look to be studs. Combine those dudes with Alontae Taylor and by 2019 we'll be WRU once again.

Who woulda thought we could build the best WR corp in the country on just Tennessee kids a few years ago?

Reactions: 1 person
We need to get an elite QB on board early for next year and start selling these in-state guys on rebuilding WRU.

I'm tired of Clemson coming in and poaching from our backyard.

Reactions: 2 people
The two kids from Thompson station are legit too

Kendrell Scurry is one that I hope we get. That's why I was all for not getting Shocky or that Nebraska commitment we offered. Take Alontae this year and that's it. Then next year hopefully land Knox, Scurry, and Wilhoite.

:rock:

Reactions: 2 people
The two kids from Thompson station are legit too

Those guys are good but lack elite or big time speed. Scurry is a big body but needs to play bigger, but Lance is next level smooth and fast compared to them. Many of you will like this pic I post of his gloves of choice

Attachments

• IMG_2575.jpg
    IMG_2575.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_2491.jpg
    IMG_2491.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 10
Reactions: 9 people
Those guys are good but lack elite or big time speed. Scurry is a big body but needs to play bigger, but Lance is next level smooth and fast compared to them. Many of you will like this pic I post of his gloves of choice

Obviously we need WRs in the 19 class...looks like there are a lot of high caliber WRs in TN in that class...what are your thoughts on the ones you’ve seen?

I’m thinking Wilhoite, Nash and Knox would be an elite haul for us

Reactions: 1 person

VN Store

Back