TN offensive adjustmens outsmart GA

"Adjustments" are the most overblown aspect of the game I can think of. Every time something works in the 2nd half, it gets applauded as an adjustment. It's ridiculous. Everything that happens in football is a reaction.

Eggs zactly. It's almost as overblown as saying "coaching not to lose". There's no such damn thing. Coaches call plays that they "think" give them the best chance to win.

Reactions: 1 person
Ok, here is the deal. Those adjustments were made. But, trust me he has made those same adjustments every game. They worked because we lost/gained 2 O-linemen. addition by subtraction was at its peak this past Saturday. The big question is this. Were those 2 kid playing above hteir heads from adrenaline? Was that them playing the game of their lives or are they that much better than what they replaced?

In either Case, I think our starting O-line come Bamma time should be the same as what ended the game this week for us. Luckily we have an extra week to figure that out and get healthy. What I find most important to note about that game is who WASN'T subbed in. Blair and Richmond. Richmond I think CBJ really, really wants to redshirt (much like he wanted with Dobbs) and I am 1000% on board with that idea. The fact they haven't even tried to get Blair in this season astounds me. I am really interested in the story behind that. He is a physical specimen band has all the obvious tools to be a dominant tackle. He's been in the system for over a year. He is still enrolled so he is smart enough to at least pull passing grades. So what's the deal there?

Honestly, we have made offensive and defensive adjustments all season. We were just not executing them well because of the line (offense) and Linebacker (defense). I purposely said linebacker not linebackers because its MLB where the defense is getting eaten up and even then our defense has played very well considering how much time they spend on the field. I honestly think once the offense starts holding the ball mere our pass rush and coverage will improve greatly. We have come up a hair short on a lot of sacks this season.

No, they tried a few plays during games. This is the first time our coaches have committed to changing their scheme for more that 5 plays at a time.

Well.... we won again. Watched the replay... that was indeed a great ballgame by both sides.

Let's not judge the faithful of VolNation too harshly. We/they were calling for a more aggressive, up-tempo, balanced approach to the offense - while coach Debord was deploying his 1970's and 80's big 10 ----- run, run, pass, run, run, pass approach for the first 5 games.

I am sure that the Georgia coaches much like our fan base were shocked and struck dumb when we opened things up. Who would have thought mixing up your plays and actually throwing passes to your 5 star wide receivers and your tight end would have born such fruit. Makes one wonder what would have happened had we been equally aggressive earlier in the year.

A lesson learned, but I don't fault the faithful on here who correctly diagnosed that something was amiss and needed fixing. In all candor, I was upset because I didn't think we had good balance against Boling Green and that if we didn't change our approach it would hurt us down the road. Just glad the coaches are finally catching up with us armchair experts. :)

Dobbs has 8 fewer passing attempts through 6 games than he had last year through 6 games, with his % completion going down. DeBord wasn't calling plays last year. And the play selection doesn't look to have changed much per pass/run.

I think the biggest difference we've seen from last year is that this year our WRs couldn't catch pneumonia, our OL couldn't keep a clean pocket (OK, not such a huge change from last year, but...), Josh wasn't running it as often for some reason.

Those three things somehow changed just before half-time of the UGA game. We saw the results of those changes.

Last edited:
No, they tried a few plays during games. This is the first time our coaches have committed to changing their scheme for more that 5 plays at a time.

They didn't change their scheme. And changing a scheme is something you do over an off-season, not in a game.

It is a good read but so often we believe one team or the other made better adjustments based upon the success that team has. Quite often, it's more of a case of better execution than it is adjustments. I personally believe "lack of adjustment" is what fans holler when their team doesn't execute as they should. Don't get me wrong, adjustments are necessary and are important, but fans overreact, IMO.

"Adjustments" are the most overblown aspect of the game I can think of. Every time something works in the 2nd half, it gets applauded as an adjustment. It's ridiculous. Everything that happens in football is a reaction.

Amen. Every single play call, O and D, is an "adjustment" to what came before. This play isn't working because they're doing that? Well, let's try this other play then. That's an adjustment. In that sense, there are 70+ adjustments each game by both the OC and DC.

There are "light bulb comes on" realizations, of course. A coordinator may have a feeling he's missing something, but can't quite put his finger on it, until suddenly it clicks. Sometimes that happens at the half, when there's more time to think through what you're seeing. And of course, there's more time in the half to coach the players through a wrinkle. So if the talking heads want to focus on those as "half time adjustments," okay. But the same things are happening throughout the game, over on the sidelines and up in the coordinators' box.

Nooga nailed it: what we call adjustments are often just better execution by the players, either because a coach alerted them to a mistake they were making or they figured it out themselves. Meanwhile, the coordinators are "adjusting" as often as they're calling plays.

Amen. Every single play call, O and D, is an "adjustment" to what came before. This play isn't working because they're doing that? Well, let's try this other play then. That's an adjustment. In that sense, there are 70+ adjustments each game by both the OC and DC.

There are "light bulb comes on" realizations, of course. A coordinator may have a feeling he's missing something, but can't quite put his finger on it, until suddenly it clicks. Sometimes that happens at the half, when there's more time to think through what you're seeing. And of course, there's more time in the half to coach the players through a wrinkle. So if the talking heads want to focus on those as "half time adjustments," okay. But the same things are happening throughout the game, over on the sidelines and up in the coordinators' box.

Nooga nailed it: what we call adjustments are often just better execution by the players, either because a coach alerted them to a mistake they were making or they figured it out themselves. Meanwhile, the coordinators are "adjusting" as often as they're calling plays.

And I think sometimes those 'adjustments' are chess plays. I think a coordinator will often do things repeatedly to set the opposition up for the old 'bait and switch' later on. At it's most general level, we fans discuss "using the run to set up the pass", etc... That kind of thing happens throughout the game at a much more subtle level.

And I think sometimes those 'adjustments' are chess plays. I think a coordinator will often do things repeatedly to set the opposition up for the old 'bait and switch' later on. At it's most general level, we fans discuss "using the run to set up the pass", etc... That kind of thing happens throughout the game at a much more subtle level.

Dobb's pump fake in the 4th quarter pretty much kept us in the game. Call it adjustment, or whatever. Those two GA defenders both bit on it and Dobbs had a choice of two guys to throw too, both wide open.

Sweet!

VN Store

Back