TN offensive adjustmens outsmart GA

Good read. the announcers made it a point of calling out Debord getting in the box 3 hours before Kick-off. Maybe he thought he needed to actually put some effort into the game plan, and make adjustments. It seemed to work once the freshmen got in on the right side of the o-line.

Excellent article, indeed. However, haven't the sages of Vol Nation declared, in their infinite wisdom, that Mike DeBord and Butch Jones are unwilling, if not incapable, of making ingame adjustments?

Reactions: 7 people
It is a good read but so often we believe one team or the other made better adjustments based upon the success that team has. Quite often, it's more of a case of better execution than it is adjustments. I personally believe "lack of adjustment" is what fans holler when their team doesn't execute as they should. Don't get me wrong, adjustments are necessary and are important, but fans overreact, IMO.

Reactions: 4 people
Let's not judge the faithful of VolNation too harshly. We/they were calling for a more aggressive, up-tempo, balanced approach to the offense - while coach Debord was deploying his 1970's and 80's big 10 ----- run, run, pass, run, run, pass approach for the first 5 games.

I am sure that the Georgia coaches much like our fan base were shocked and struck dumb when we opened things up. Who would have thought mixing up your plays and actually throwing passes to your 5 star wide receivers and your tight end would have born such fruit. Makes one wonder what would have happened had we been equally aggressive earlier in the year.

A lesson learned, but I don't fault the faithful on here who correctly diagnosed that something was amiss and needed fixing. In all candor, I was upset because I didn't think we had good balance against Boling Green and that if we didn't change our approach it would hurt us down the road. Just glad the coaches are finally catching up with us armchair experts. :)

Reactions: 3 people
Good read. the announcers made it a point of calling out Debord getting in the box 3 hours before Kick-off. Maybe he thought he needed to actually put some effort into the game plan, and make adjustments. It seemed to work once the freshmen got in on the right side of the o-line.

Forgot what time the game started IMO.

Reactions: 3 people
Excellent article, indeed. However, haven't the sages of Vol Nation declared, in their infinite wisdom, that Mike DeBord and Butch Jones are unwilling, if not incapable, of making ingame adjustments?

It's kind of bitter sweet. Yeah we finally adjusted, but the other team didn't. We've still got a lot to work on, but I'm thrilled over the win

Reactions: 2 people
Ok, here is the deal. Those adjustments were made. But, trust me he has made those same adjustments every game. They worked because we lost/gained 2 O-linemen. addition by subtraction was at its peak this past Saturday. The big question is this. Were those 2 kid playing above hteir heads from adrenaline? Was that them playing the game of their lives or are they that much better than what they replaced?

In either Case, I think our starting O-line come Bamma time should be the same as what ended the game this week for us. Luckily we have an extra week to figure that out and get healthy. What I find most important to note about that game is who WASN'T subbed in. Blair and Richmond. Richmond I think CBJ really, really wants to redshirt (much like he wanted with Dobbs) and I am 1000% on board with that idea. The fact they haven't even tried to get Blair in this season astounds me. I am really interested in the story behind that. He is a physical specimen band has all the obvious tools to be a dominant tackle. He's been in the system for over a year. He is still enrolled so he is smart enough to at least pull passing grades. So what's the deal there?

Honestly, we have made offensive and defensive adjustments all season. We were just not executing them well because of the line (offense) and Linebacker (defense). I purposely said linebacker not linebackers because its MLB where the defense is getting eaten up and even then our defense has played very well considering how much time they spend on the field. I honestly think once the offense starts holding the ball mere our pass rush and coverage will improve greatly. We have come up a hair short on a lot of sacks this season.

Reactions: 5 people

The VN sages, having pointed how DeBord knows nothing, have successfully debunked any notion that he could possibly know how to adjust play calls as the game progresses. Attached article is definitely bunkum and bosh.

Blue font.

Reactions: 1 person
Butch out-tricked 'em with his mind. Someone said we gone whip dey azz

It is a good read but so often we believe one team or the other made better adjustments based upon the success that team has. Quite often, it's more of a case of better execution than it is adjustments. I personally believe "lack of adjustment" is what fans holler when their team doesn't execute as they should. Don't get me wrong, adjustments are necessary and are important, but fans overreact, IMO.

"Adjustments" are the most overblown aspect of the game I can think of. Every time something works in the 2nd half, it gets applauded as an adjustment. It's ridiculous. Everything that happens in football is a reaction.

Reactions: 2 people
Offense is fine. Adjustments to the blitz versus Oklahoma was too slow. Situationally we have wasted some possessions as well by going ultraconservative.

Yes and up until this past Saturday, he has deserved his criticism.
I'm beginning to think there have been conversations between CMD and CBJ like:

MIke:
"Are you 'bout ready to let me play more of those freshmen and make the play calls and adjustments?"

Butch:
"Yep. I suppose you're right. What's there to lose besides another game?"

As do most HCs, Butch has an ego. But, as do championship HCs, they'll make all sorts of adjustments; even regarding who's making some of those adjustments. Kudos to both coaches here. Kirby Smart's expertise and bammer's smarter playing defense are going to require even more savvy out of Coach DeBord. Let's hope that extra week of preparation pays some dividends. If the gayduhs can drop a couple, we're still in it.

I liked when they moved the pocket too. We missed some passes on it but it made Georgia move from sideline to sideline.

Ok, here is the deal. Those adjustments were made. But, trust me he has made those same adjustments every game. They worked because we lost/gained 2 O-linemen. addition by subtraction was at its peak this past Saturday. The big question is this. Were those 2 kid playing above hteir heads from adrenaline? Was that them playing the game of their lives or are they that much better than what they replaced?

In either Case, I think our starting O-line come Bamma time should be the same as what ended the game this week for us. Luckily we have an extra week to figure that out and get healthy. What I find most important to note about that game is who WASN'T subbed in. Blair and Richmond. Richmond I think CBJ really, really wants to redshirt (much like he wanted with Dobbs) and I am 1000% on board with that idea. The fact they haven't even tried to get Blair in this season astounds me. I am really interested in the story behind that. He is a physical specimen band has all the obvious tools to be a dominant tackle. He's been in the system for over a year. He is still enrolled so he is smart enough to at least pull passing grades. So what's the deal there?

Honestly, we have made offensive and defensive adjustments all season. We were just not executing them well because of the line (offense) and Linebacker (defense). I purposely said linebacker not linebackers because its MLB where the defense is getting eaten up and even then our defense has played very well considering how much time they spend on the field. I honestly think once the offense starts holding the ball mere our pass rush and coverage will improve greatly. We have come up a hair short on a lot of sacks this season.

With respect to Chance Hall and Jack Jones, Butch has made a point that warrants reiteration here. It is impossible to predict with precision precisely when even the most talented of true freshmen become game-ready. They all progress at their own individual rates. If we are lucky, circumstances allow us to gradually work them into their positional rotations. On other occasions, injuries force us to throw them into the fire on a sink-or-swim basis. Alabama will certainly provide an excellent test to determine just how promising the immediate futures of Hall and Jones are.

Reactions: 1 person

VN Store

Back