'19 TN DT Tymon Mitchell

Upside wise hard to find a better prospect. 6’5 295, 37inch arms as a 15 year old. Adding real strength in his first real offseason. You’ll see why he’s getting the offers he has soon enough. 😎

He goin to Ohio St?

as the nephew of a tennessee football legend, tymon mitchell has grown up hearing plenty about the vols and always has held them in high regard. After getting a scholarship offer from them last month, he now plans to give them strong consideration.

“i like tennessee. I like the program. I love the atmosphere up there,” mitchell said saturday afternoon while attending tryouts for the j3m select 7-on-7 team, which is sponsored by former vols wide receiver josh malone of the nfl’s cincinnati bengals. “game day is crazy. You go in the locker room and you see the guys, and those guys, it’s a real brotherhood. Some of the guys, you can just tell their relationships, and the atmosphere up there is just great.”

mitchell said he hasn’t identified any early favorites among the 14 schools pursuing him. But he admitted the “legacy deal, that is a factor for me” in regard to his interest in tennessee. At the same time, he said his “strong in-state ties” aren’t limited to tennessee. His father also happens to be a vanderbilt graduate. “right now i’m just feeling it out, just thinking,” said mitchell.

“they said i was one of their top in-state recruits right now in the 2019 class,” he said. “(rocker) just likes how versatile i am and where he can potentially put me, just placing me around on the d-line. I could be just a force all over the d-line. He’s talking about (playing me) all over. He’s saying d-tackle, some end.”

“i mean, coach pruitt was the one who offered me when he was at alabama, so when he went to tennessee, i wasn’t really surprised,” mitchell said. Pruitt already has made a good impression on mitchell. “when he was at alabama, you could tell the guys, they loved him,” mitchell said. “he just had a good relationship with the guys there. He had a successful career there.”

tennessee already has hosted mitchell on at least a handful of visits. He traveled there for a midweek visit in october 2016 and attended the vols’ home games against kentucky and missouri in november 2016. He said he also attended one of their camps in june.

Reactions: 7 people
Who is his uncle?

The 6-foot-3, 285-pound Mitchell — the nephew of former Tennessee star wide receiver Lester McClain, who was the first African-American to play for the Vols — said Tennessee defensive line coach Tracy Rocker stopped at his school on Friday, and he’s hoping to return to Knoxville on Feb. 3 to spend time with the Vols’ new staff.

Reactions: 7 people
tymon mitchell is one of the top 2019 prospects in tennessee. According to the 6-foot-3, 287-pound mitchell, tennessee is one of the schools recruiting him hardest.

"i love the atmosphere in knoxville -- especially on game day," mitchell said. "i also like that it's close to home. I like (defensive line) coach (tracy) rocker and coach (jeremy) pruitt, too. I'm planning on going to their junior day on feb. 3.

"i talk to coach rocker the most. I like that he has true passion for what he does and doesn’t just tell me what i want to hear. He tells me the truth. He's also talked to me about my potential on the d-line and how he sees me as a hybrid type playing all over the line."

vanderbilt is the other school showing most interest. "i love the coaching staff, level of education that i could receive there, and that it’s just a 10-minute drive from home," mitchell said. "i'm looking to visiting for a junior day, but don't know the date yet.

"i talk to (defensive line) coach (c.j.) ah you a lot. I like how the players respond to him and they all have great relationships with him. I also like that he's talked to me about potential early playing time."

besides the aforementioned schools, iowa state, louisville, ole miss, purdue and south carolina offered among others.

Reactions: 4 people
19 for '19: Vols early wish list

The Nashville native is on everyone's radar in the SEC. Mitchell at 6-3, 285 has already seen the Vols and the Crimson Tide. Mitchell saw the Vols last weekend. He has ties to Vanderbilt, as his father is a graduate. Mitchell is a good student and is hearing from Ivy League schools as well as schools like Stanford. Tennessee has been very active is their pursuit of Mitchell the last month of so. There has been some thought that Mitchell could be a guy who makes an early decision.

-VQ

Reactions: 4 people
I love it when a three star guy gets highly recruited. Messes with the people who don’t follow recruiting.

I wonder what’s with the low rank even with all the praise?

I love it when a three star guy gets highly recruited. Messes with the people who don’t follow recruiting.

I wonder what’s with the low rank even with all the praise?

Happens all the time. Plenty of 3's ended up 4's and even 5's after their junior year. Spring is when the recruiting services really focus on the rising senior class. There will be many regional camps from Rivals, 247, etc plus Junior days and workouts. Updates in recruiting rankings will happen before summer.

Reactions: 1 person
smart kid. has great offers both for football and academics........love having these kinds of kids on campus. hope we get him

Reactions: 1 person

VN Store

Back