Time to call the Florida game?

It’s time.

It’s hard to ignore the signs, everything pointing to a Vol beatdown on the Gators, it’s set up perfect, or is it?

While I’m sold on UF QB Richardson as an athlete, I’m not sold quite yet on him as a passer. Everyone keeps speaking about his growth, and while that should be the norm, most still believe Mullen to be a good to great QB coach. How much will losing Mullen hurt that growth?

On the other side, I do believe in Hooker and second year under Heupel should be able to turn another page of the playbook loose in Hooker’s hands.

UT has the edge on offense. Duh, right? UF has the edge on defense. Duh, right?

Let’s talk defense, biggest question is how big of a leap does the defense take this year? Will Heupel slow the offense just enough to allow them to collect their breath? That’s the difference in 7 wins vs 9 wins imo. Kiffin learned to slow just enough to not run his defense into a losing situation. The result? Ole Miss won 10 games in the regular season for the first time ever. Heupel can do the same. UF’s defense still has playmakers and should be at least decent if not good.

2nd year with coaches is the “magic year”where the good coaches have their most improvement. We will know at the end of the 2nd year in most cases if “that’s the guy” for a program. Meyer, Saban, Richt, Smart, etc all saw their biggest jump year 2.

This IS the year, everything aligns for a Vol win over Florida. Everyone keeps saying they have to see it to believe it, definition of faith is the substance of things hoped for the evidence of things unseen. Do you have faith?

UT 38 UF 30
We've got 3 games 1st! Florida is game 4 and after we will be 4-0!

It’s like a broken clock…. Except even that’s right twice a day

I don’t think Florida has as much talent as y’all give them credit for. When 3 or 4 guys transfer from Louisiana and are immediate starters, that’s a sign of a depleted roster. Guys don’t usually go from Sun Belt to SEC and beat out SEC studs.
Oh, you gone and done it now.

Jaws will be here shortly to educate us hillbillies about how many underrated leaders, five star hearts, undeniable depth, and a multitude of late 1st round NFL draft potential they have, not to mention what an absolute stud Louisiana Billy is. Same sh!t, different year.

Reactions: NighthawkVol
It’s time.

It’s hard to ignore the signs, everything pointing to a Vol beatdown on the Gators, it’s set up perfect, or is it?

While I’m sold on UF QB Richardson as an athlete, I’m not sold quite yet on him as a passer. Everyone keeps speaking about his growth, and while that should be the norm, most still believe Mullen to be a good to great QB coach. How much will losing Mullen hurt that growth?

On the other side, I do believe in Hooker and second year under Heupel should be able to turn another page of the playbook loose in Hooker’s hands.

Let’s talk defense, biggest question is how big of a leap does the defense take this year? Will Heupel slow the offense just enough to allow them to collect their breath? That’s the difference in 7 wins vs 9 wins imo. Kiffin learned to slow just enough to not run his defense into a losing situation. The result? Ole Miss won 10 games in the regular season for the first time ever. Heupel can do the same. UF’s defense still has playmakers and should be at least decent if not good.

2nd year with coaches is the “magic year”where the good coaches have their most improvement. We will know at the end of the 2nd year in most cases if “that’s the guy” for a program. Meyer, Saban, Richt, Smart, etc all saw their biggest jump year 2.

This IS the year, everything aligns for a Vol win over Florida. Everyone keeps saying they have to see it to believe it, definition of faith is the substance of things hoped for the evidence of things unseen. Do you have faith?

UT 38 UF 30

What fresh he!! is this?? This type of dark sorcery is radioactive and should be zapped from even entering our minds right now. Beat Ball State and then focus on Pitt. This kind of nonsense is what might turn Ball State into this year’s Georgia State. Puhlease, no jinxing.

Reactions: BelieveTheHeup93
It’s time.

UT 38 UF 30
I guess I feel like I get to wait since we have 2 games before then. I'm gonna wait until after the Pitt game to call the Florida game.

I have my orange colored glasses on this morning. UT 45 Floriduh 21! It's Football Time in Tennessee! There is a stigma around the Florida game. It seems it always goes wrong for UT! Not this year!!!

I don't think it's fair to expect a big improvement in year 2. This roster still has a couple of seasons to go to fix all the damage done by the last 2 coaches. I will be happy if we get 8 wins.
If this team can’t make a big improvement in year 2 then this staff is no different than the previous 2 you’re blaming all of our problems on

I think their fan base so fickle unless they are winning it all and (hiring former offensive players from Tennessee to try replicate their offense) they have turned into a lackluster program. Guy I know use to be big Gator fan when spurrier was their winning changed teams , lol. Brick by brick baby, brick by brick!

It’s time.

UT 38 UF 30

The D needs more depth but the key isn't scoring less points or scoring more slowly. The "difference" is getting off the field on 3rd down. Do that and it doesn't matter how fast or slow the O runs. UT consistently positioned themselves well on down and distance last year but were last in the SEC and 104th nationally on 3rd down vs FBS opponents. If you are top 2 in the SEC and top 10 nationally in TFL's... you shouldn't struggle that much on 3rd down.

FL will be good. Will be a tough win. 31-28 at best.
Indications are that UF will be a run first team. A win might look like the USCe game last year when the Vols got a couple of stops and put up points quick.

I am concerned about your close game scenario. That might make it a matter of who can get 4 yds rushing consistently... which favors the team with the better D.

UT and UF have essentially traded places from the Fulmer vs Spurrier days. Spurrier consistently took Fulmer out of his "pound the rock" strategy. UT needs to get a lead to get UF out of their gameplan.

They’ll have my confidence when they actually do it. Until then, I’ll continue to make ritualistic sacrifices in the back yard hoping for better results.

the one thing that scares me the most about this season....

the heath and status of Hooker

I'm going against my usual pessimistic, "believe when I see it" attitude this season.

We're beating Florida this year, and I don't think it will be particularly close, and that's not me pulling a George Constanza "do the opposite of my nature'.....I actually really believe this is how it will go. They're not going to be very good and we have a pretty good shot at 10 wins.

If Hooker goes down early (that didn't sound right....), then I might back off this claim.

VN Store

Back