Time of Possession

Yes, who the new DC is, is important but you CAN outscore the opponent. My question is what is Heupel's coaching style? If TN is up 14 in the 4th quarter does he keep pouring on steam offensively or does he start to try and run the ball to run clock?

Sometimes the best defense is a good offense!

I want to start by saying I don't think this was an entirely bad hire, but one thing that is concerning to me is time of possession under Heupel's offenses. It looks like his offenses hold the ball around 8 minutes less than his opponents. That can be extremely taxing on your defense, especially in the SEC. This aspect makes the DC hire extremely important and even then it's hard to say how this type of offense will do in the SEC as far as wins and losses go. Sure there should be plenty of points scored, but will we be able to stop anyone in the 4th quarter? What is everyone's opinion on this?

I think your thought process is why so few defensive minded coaches succeed. They handcuff their offense to benefit their defense. I’ve never heard of any offensive minded coach handcuffing his d

You need defensive depth when you play an offense like Heupel brings because your defense usually plays 35 minutes some games. You also need the kind of DC that can get the stops early and maybe you build a lead that the opponent can't overcome. You look at his UCF coaching team was on offense 26 minutes a games and average putting up 42 points per game. The defense average giving up 36 a game while playing 34 minutes. So you want an offense that can put up points like that no matter how quickly it is done. You hope you have the depth on defense and defensive strategy to get leads and make them last. In the SEC will be a challenge if the defense has to play more than the offense just hope we get the kind of DC and can eventually build the quality depth to handle it. He had a lot of games that we decided by 1 to 5 points while at UCF.
That could be as simple as how quickly you get the snap off. I haven’t watched any of UCF to see how far they get into the play clock before snapping the ball. They ran for a lot of yards so the TOP is a head scratcher.

Looking at stats now. They gained 200 per game but also gave up right at 200 per game. They gained a lot of yards but gave up a lot of yards as well (right at 500 per game). I’ve heard that he isn’t bringing defensive staff with him. Randy Shannon. I remember when he was trending as a DC hire at UT.

So, this guy needs to get the defensive hire right. David Reeves at UAB would be a home run.

I think your thought process is why so few defensive minded coaches succeed. They handcuff their offense to benefit their defense. I’ve never heard of any offensive minded coach handcuffing his d

I don’t think it’s a question of handcuffing the offense as much as it is a question of sharing the load. If the offense keeps the ball away from the other team, our team is better off. I believe defense is the higher energy side of the ball, which normally will cause them to tire more quickly than the offense.

I want to start by saying I don't think this was an entirely bad hire, but one thing that is concerning to me is time of possession under Heupel's offenses. It looks like his offenses hold the ball around 8 minutes less than his opponents. That can be extremely taxing on your defense, especially in the SEC. This aspect makes the DC hire extremely important and even then it's hard to say how this type of offense will do in the SEC as far as wins and losses go. Sure there should be plenty of points scored, but will we be able to stop anyone in the 4th quarter? What is everyone's opinion on this?

With this roster? No.

That could be as simple as how quickly you get the snap off. I haven’t watched any of UCF to see how far they get into the play clock before snapping the ball. They ran for a lot of yards so the TOP is a head scratcher.

Looking at stats now. They gained 200 per game but also gave up right at 200 per game. They gained a lot of yards but gave up a lot of yards as well (right at 500 per game). I’ve heard that he isn’t bringing defensive staff with him. Randy Shannon. I remember when he was trending as a DC hire at UT.

So, this guy needs to get the defensive hire right. David Reeves at UAB would be a home run.
Some talk that Arnett of Miss State might be the DC so really don't know a lot of about him think he is considered an up and comer. We've seen them before maybe one will work out.

Reactions: ApacheVol
While take aways are an important component for any good defense, they're even more important on a defense for a Heupel coached SEC team. If we're scoring alot of points, time of possession isn't a huge factor if we're taking it away more than we're giving it up. Hoping whoever the coordinator is devotes an enormous amount of practice time everyday to stripping the ball, scoop and score, tip drill, etc.

Obvious I know, but I hope fans realize this is going to be a totally different style of play.

Reactions: ApacheVol
While take aways are an important component for any good defense, they're even more important on a defense for a Heupel coached SEC team. If we're scoring alot of points, time of possession isn't a huge factor if we're taking it away more than we're giving it up. Hoping whoever the coordinator is devotes an enormous amount of practice time everyday to stripping the ball, scoop and score, tip drill, etc.

Obvious I know, but I hope fans realize this is going to be a totally different style of play.

Barry Odom had one of the best defenses in terms of takeaways this season. Second in the SEC in ints

I somewhat agree with what you’re saying, but as you know we will play 3 or 4 teams a year that will be able to move the ball methodically and score. That will keep our offense off of the field and tire out defense. I believe the mid and lower tier teams in our conference will struggle to keep up with Heupel’s offense, but we may struggle with the top tier teams if we don’t try to balance the time of possession.

Is this not what we have been doing??

Bring me Zach Arnett. Pay the man. Get him here. Buy him a boat. Whatever it takes.

The key is you absolutely have to score. If your offense goes fast and your 3-and-out takes up 30 seconds vs 3 minutes, your defense will eventually fail. Even scoring quickly, your defense will be gassed, so you absolutely have to get those points. If your offense is struggling even the slightest, or even just has a few bad breaks /drops/ penalties, you can find yourself in a downward spiral very quickly.
No different than what Oregon use to play like..... I think we will be fine.

Do you not think Heupel is aware of this and will prepare the defense and hire a coordinator that complements his style of play?

VN Store

Back