Time of Possession

ApacheVol

Gator Hunter
I want to start by saying I don't think this was an entirely bad hire, but one thing that is concerning to me is time of possession under Heupel's offenses. It looks like his offenses hold the ball around 8 minutes less than his opponents. That can be extremely taxing on your defense, especially in the SEC. This aspect makes the DC hire extremely important and even then it's hard to say how this type of offense will do in the SEC as far as wins and losses go. Sure there should be plenty of points scored, but will we be able to stop anyone in the 4th quarter? What is everyone's opinion on this?

I want to start by saying I don't think this was an entirely bad hire, but one thing that is concerning to me is time of possession under Heupel's offenses. It looks like his offenses hold the ball around 8 minutes less than his opponents. That can be extremely taxing on your defense, especially in the SEC. This aspect makes the DC hire extremely important and even then it's hard to say how this type of offense will do in the SEC as far as wins and losses go. Sure there should be plenty of points scored, but will we be able to stop anyone in the 4th quarter? What is everyone's opinion on this?

Team with more point win; team score and not stop, team win, defense for team that not score.

Where is that witch doctor guy that use to comment like that all the time?

I don't see how any up tempo offense is not taxing on their own defense. Just the nature of the beast. You need plenty of well developed players to rotate in on the defensive side of the ball. That's probably why most of us are paying attention to who he hires as his DC.

You need defensive depth when you play an offense like Heupel brings because your defense usually plays 35 minutes some games. You also need the kind of DC that can get the stops early and maybe you build a lead that the opponent can't overcome. You look at his UCF coaching team was on offense 26 minutes a games and average putting up 42 points per game. The defense average giving up 36 a game while playing 34 minutes. So you want an offense that can put up points like that no matter how quickly it is done. You hope you have the depth on defense and defensive strategy to get leads and make them last. In the SEC will be a challenge if the defense has to play more than the offense just hope we get the kind of DC and can eventually build the quality depth to handle it. He had a lot of games that we decided by 1 to 5 points while at UCF.

Good point! He may need to slow his pace some. Even the high powered offenses in the sec have controlled enough clock. Interesting fact I heard on a podcast this week; recruiting rankings are proven to be tied with defensive success but not offensive success. Meaning that you can scheme offense and be productive with lesser talent but you need big fast strong guys out of high school to be good on D. Recruiting the D side will be big for JH!

Reactions: ApacheVol
The key is you absolutely have to score. If your offense goes fast and your 3-and-out takes up 30 seconds vs 3 minutes, your defense will eventually fail. Even scoring quickly, your defense will be gassed, so you absolutely have to get those points. If your offense is struggling even the slightest, or even just has a few bad breaks /drops/ penalties, you can find yourself in a downward spiral very quickly.

TOP isn’t nearly as important as it used to be. If you can score a TD in 2mins while the other team is kicking a FG on a 7min drive then you come out on top. There’s more emphasis on red zone scoring now than the TOP battle.

I somewhat agree with what you’re saying, but as you know we will play 3 or 4 teams a year that will be able to move the ball methodically and score. That will keep our offense off of the field and tire out defense. I believe the mid and lower tier teams in our conference will struggle to keep up with Heupel’s offense, but we may struggle with the top tier teams if we don’t try to balance the time of possession.

Well, everyone is running high octane offenses now. Time for defenses to adapt. And they will. Just hope we can get a innovative DC

Well, everyone is running high octane offenses now. Time for defenses to adapt. And they will. Just hope we can get a innovative DC

I'm not so sure they will. The rules almost all favor the offense.

I just want to see UT be able to score over 30 points a game. I hated seeing our opponent score in the 30's knowing the game was over because UT couldn't score that many points.

Yes, and hopefully some big time players on defense! We will still need to be opportunistic on defense and get turnovers.

Maybe that’s because they scored so quickly?

Maybe that’s because they scored so quickly?

Yes I think that’s obvious, but it has consequences for your defense is the point. I’m sure you’ve seen teams get good leads early on, only to lose late because the defense had been on the field too much and ran out of gas.

I remember how frustrating it was the past couple of seasons. We would get the ball back with almost two minutes to go before the half and do nothing but sit on it. I for one, am looking forward to a faster offense.

I think this is a risk...all the more reason, I'm puzzled if we don't keep Steele, who unless there's someone I'm not aware of, has to be the most talented guy out there, and he's currently on payroll. I think this puts us in a circle w/ Ole Miss, where they score plenty of points, but D more resembles Big 12.

His offense has already been proven in the SEC when he was OC at Missouri. Much of what Ole Miss ran last year was from concepts that Jeff Lebby learned from JH. He owned Kiffin's ass in the AAC.

His offense has already been proven in the SEC when he was OC at Missouri. Much of what Ole Miss ran last year was from concepts that Jeff Lebby learned from JH. He owned Kiffin's ass in the AAC.

I’m not sure I would say it was proven at Missouri, they still got lit up as a team by the big boys of the conference. I’m sure some of that was talent level though.

The best teams (Bama, clemson, LSU in 2019) score lots of points and get enough stops to separate themselves. Now against lesser opponents like UT, the defenses could get stops more often and the games resulted in blowouts. But, if we’re playing Florida, we need to score and get one or two more stops than them, and that might just be 3 stops total in a game. This is the game now. I don’t necessarily like it this form of football but you’ve got to adjust as a coach or you won’t have a job.

Yes I think that’s obvious, but it has consequences for your defense is the point. I’m sure you’ve seen teams get good leads early on, only to lose late because the defense had been on the field too much and ran out of gas.
UCF didn't have good defense this past year for sure... hopefully we hire a good DC

Yes, who the new DC is, is important but you CAN outscore the opponent. My question is what is Heupel's coaching style? If TN is up 14 in the 4th quarter does he keep pouring on steam offensively or does he start to try and run the ball to run clock?

VN Store

Back