Ticket Prices Increase 6.5%

Already?

We're only 10 days in.

I think he meant that the donation amount required to sit in some locations has went down. I believe in the east sideline upperdeck only a $100 donation is now required, and it used to be $500.

It was worded kind of weird. Donations aren't due until March so no one would know if the the total number of individuals donating has gone down or up yet.

I think he meant that the donation amount required to sit in some locations has went down. I believe in the east sideline upperdeck only a $100 donation is now required, and it used to be $500.

It was worded kind of weird. Donations aren't due until March so no one would know if the the total number of individuals donating has gone down or up yet.

Reactions: 1 person
Unless many schools do something to enhance the physical attendance of the game, there will be a devastating shift to the virtual attendance (aka TV or Computer/Tablet/Phone). This has been coming for a while and I predict attendance numbers will be significantly down in 2015...not just at Tennessee, but across the country. This is really sad as Tennessee is poised for some better times.

The laws of supply and demand dictate that if you're consistently selling out your stadium, your tickets are priced too low. You could be charging more and people would still pay it. Eventually, at some price point (we'll call this X), you have maxed out what people will pay for your tickets/goods/services. Up to and at X, the cost of a ticket is equal to or less than the benefits that buying a ticket provides. Above X, the benefits that buying a ticket would provide become less valuable than the opportunity cost to the consumer and so the consumer doesn't buy that ticket anymore, probably, unless he's a real sucker like me who has a need to watch the Ole Ball Coach get pwned in person. As achieving equilibrium between a full stadium and Ticket Price X for a diverse group of 100,000+ people is borderline impossible, ideally you want your stadium to be slightly less than full for every game. Anything above 100k is a total victory. The 2,455 is basically margin from a financial standpoint.

The fact that they're pushing season tickets now just happens to coincide with the fact that the perceived value of watching a Tennessee game is rising. They know they can get away with this thanks to recent on-field progress.

The only thing now is that the stadium experience is going to have to match the ticket prices. Parts of Neyland are very nice. Other parts need some serious work.

Agree with 99%, however, I have seen the "sellouts" and there are more than 2,455 empty seats. Quite a few more.

Agree with 99%, however, I have seen the "sellouts" and there are more than 2,455 empty seats. Quite a few more.

Probably so. But then again, a "sellout" is 102,455 tickets sold, not 102,455 butts in the seats. And, it's not unlikely that there's at least 2 to 3 thousand people in Neyland walking around, taking a leak, buying hotdogs, or what have you at any given point in the game that won't be in the stands, particularly at a cupcake game.

Even with the "wanderers", I have found tickets outside the stadium to be plentiful. I agree that these are sold, but I see a pattern of less and less fans actually attending the games. Winning will help, but I think the comfort factor will be the main deterrent to attending in person.

VN Store

Back