Three big reasons for the loss to Missouri

The one main reason we lose is we have no lock down defender on this team. If we had one players like Vivian and Cunningham aren't going off for big totals like they did. We've had that player in the past Hornbuckle, Catchings, Parker, etc. These days we get abused by certain players on other teams we have no one that can stop them from having a monster game.

Reactions: 2 people
To your point..... his point guard made the shot to beat Uconn in last years NCAA tournament! But when she was getting out played by Cuevas against South Carolina.... he BENCHED her because she was not performing!!!!!!!!!!!

he sure did and left her on the bench for a long time. by the time he put her back in SC had too big a lead to overcome. Sometimes a poorly performing star is still better than who you replace them with.

Reactions: 1 person
The one main reason we lose is we have no lock down defender on this team. If we had one players like Vivian and Cunningham aren't going off for big totals like they did. We've had that player in the past Hornbuckle, Catchings, Parker, etc. These days we get abused by certain players on other teams we have no one that can stop them from having a monster game.

The days of a lock-down chaser is over with the constant screen-switching,,,,everybody has to be a lock-down defender

Reactions: 2 people

Byrd,don't forget her

The days of a lock-down chaser is over with the constant screen-switching,,,,everybody has to be a lock-down defender

They also haven't had a lock down defender since Hornbuckle left. Diamond could have been that player, and she was relentless when she was tuned in, but most of the times she played like she'd rather be somewhere else.

I have high hopes for Evina, though. She has a lot of the same qualities that Hornbuckle did. I think she has the potential to be a great player, but I'm pretty sure Holly will fail to develop her much as she failed to develop the rest of the players who she coached.

he sure did and left her on the bench for a long time. by the time he put her back in SC had too big a lead to overcome. Sometimes a poorly performing star is still better than who you replace them with.

MSST's backup PG is really good, and I thought she played well in that NC game. She takes care of the ball, and is a good playmaker. The problem is that Vivians shot terribly and McCowan got shut down by Wilson, who had a monster game. I don't think having Morgan play would have been enough to change the outcome.

They also haven't had a lock down defender since Hornbuckle left. Diamond could have been that player, and she was relentless when she was tuned in, but most of the times she played like she'd rather be somewhere else.

I have high hopes for Evina, though. She has a lot of the same qualities that Hornbuckle did. I think she has the potential to be a great player, but I'm pretty sure Holly will fail to develop her much as she failed to develop the rest of the players who she coached.

Jaime, Meme and Evina are all lock-down defenders...

If I want to put a "team" of defenders on the court it is these three, Green and KK...Kortney over KK if the 5th matchup is a shooter or mobile forward...

Hayes and Davis, both, lose their man in traffic or simply by loss of focus and MR tends to get smaller during the 2nd and 3rd quarters.

Evina needs to be taught how to move below the knees...how to lift the knees...Right now she runs with heavy feet.

A player's defensive quickness and a player's speed in their offensive "first step" is set up by movement below the knees.,,,If Evina was taught better movement mechanics, she would be even faster than she is.

Defense, Rebounding and good guard play win big games and Championships.

Our guards are young, and if they play good. We look good. If they struggle, we struggle, (if Annie or E or both struggle, we will struggle and so would Mercedes, now she has to create her own shots), especially if Jamie and Mercedes are not playing at an All American Level.

Right now, its all about MENTAL TOUGHNESS, everybody and/or team is tired, the body, your legs are shot, now it comes down to mental toughness, which some say hasn't been Holly's teams best attribute.

Can our ladies push through?

Which requires leadership from Mercedes and Jamie who both are trying to lead us to a place they haven't been, here's to a mentally tougher team going forward and a tougher Mercedes.

Defense, Rebounding and good guard play win big games and Championships.

We are tougher than you = Lady Vols

To your point..... his point guard made the shot to beat Uconn in last years NCAA tournament! But when she was getting out played by Cuevas against South Carolina.... he BENCHED her because she was not performing!!!!!!!!!!!

And LOST! FAHR VIC! LOL

I do miss Big Nikki :yes:

Me, too! But when I read folks trashing our current players, I'm reminded how even the best players weren't always at their best. Nicky missed a wide-open standing layup that would've cost us a national championship. Fortunately, Hornbuckle was there with the amazing putback to win the game. Nicky's offense was not that good, but she was a tough minded defender. Most players and coaches at TN are very good at something. Folks should remember that and temper their comments.

Reactions: 3 people

VN Store

Back