Three big reasons for the loss to Missouri

CHW presser. I need to stop watching them.

Oh my gawd. "I'm proud of my kids"....."They fought hard...that's ALL CAN I ASK OF THEM...to fight hard".

THAT is what the coach of Austin Peay says when their team loses to UCONN or Miss St. NOT when you are the coach of a higher ranked team EXPECTED to win. 'They fought hard"? Congratulations.

Holly has an inferiority complex that she passes along to her players. They aren't expected to win. But boy oh boy, golly gee they "fought hard" and that's "all she can ask of them". Does ANY coach of a higher ranked team say defeatist garbage like that?

Nothing about winning...nothing about losing AGAIN to a lower ranked team...Holly's just happy they "fought hard".

I can't stand what this ***** has done to the LV program.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 people
I can understand a loss here to a team that is very good on execution and playing at home. You have to make that extra play to win these games and you must have five players competing and we seldom have that happen.
This game isn't as bad a loss as losing to Buma at home or LSU on the road. Both of those games were lost because the effort was weak. This game several players tried to play with effort a couple still decided to take it easy.
What we learn is that recruiting is only half the battle the other half is having someone in charge that has an understanding of how to play offense and defense on the court and also and most important someone that can motivate players to want to play their very best for a full forty minutes every game. Holly will never be that coach but she has the talent to win 20 games a season. So that is where we are and where we'll stay.

Reactions: 3 people
Every time I watch Holly's Presser, I come away with the feeling that She does not take responsibility for the mistakes the team makes. I'm not sure that is a correct position to take considering you are the head coach and the buck stops with you and how you prepare the team.

AD Fulmer is watching...we'll see what happens at end of season...doesn't her contract end this season?...anyway, I'm all for what's best for the program...incoming recruits should have opportunities to start early...and,

GO LADY VOLS!

I was at the game and was very proud to wear the orange and white. They did fight hard and showed a lot of heart. We got beat by an experienced, scrappy team. It’s ok to say Mizzou beat us and they were better than us today. It doesn’t mean we’re doomed and it doesn’t mean Holly is a bad coach. Sometimes you just have to tip your cap.

Reactions: 6 people
I was at the game and was very proud to wear the orange and white. They did fight hard and showed a lot of heart. We got beat by an experienced, scrappy team. It’s ok to say Mizzou beat us and they were better than us today. It doesn’t mean we’re doomed and it doesn’t mean Holly is a bad coach. Sometimes you just have to tip your cap.

Yes,,,, We played "hard"

The motivational factor is not there. If the players play poorly, they don't lose playing time, or even hear about it for that matter. Holly just stares in a sometimes weird look of I don't know why they did that. The players have to be accountable for bad play or it just continues. Simple as that.

We should give out stickers at the next game. Maybe even make t shirts

Attachments

• E28DF48B-D524-4404-B246-D04570D74B3E.jpeg
    E28DF48B-D524-4404-B246-D04570D74B3E.jpeg
    21.9 KB · Views: 115

I agree that losing to them on their court is probable no matter who is coaching Tennessee. What does make Holly a bad coach is losing to Buma four times in a row. They have never been close to us in talent yet they beat the crap out of Holly's All Americans everytime we played them. They had never won in Knoxville now they have thank you Holly.

Reactions: 1 person
Complaining here won't spark change. If you're dissatisfied with the state of the program I would suggest voicing that to Fulmer and stop going to games/renewing tickets (that one seems to be taking care of itself)....

And put their money where their fingers are? This group? I can almost guarantee that the vocal Fahr-Holly posters haven't been to more than 5 games in 10 years. Some of them openly admit it. "I haven't really watched a game this season, but I saw we lost. Don't really know to who, but that doesn't really matter." Hahaha

Reactions: 2 people
The best example of the lack of leadership on this team is during a timeout. When Pat was coaching, every eye was on her during timeouts. You watch UCONN or Miss. State, all eyes are on Geno and Vic. Watch our timeouts. Two sets of eyes on Holly, one assistant talking to one player, another to another player, two bench players in the background carrying on a conversation of their own... There is no leadership from the head coach. At all...

The same issues and reasons have been listed for years now. I think Holly should go but I don't know who would come here.

We lost because Hayes have no outside shot. Davis is hesitant to take over. Don't want to talk about Cedes on defense , but had a bad
offessive game.
Had a chance to tie but missing free throw will kill you.

The motivational factor is not there. If the players play poorly, they don't lose playing time, or even hear about it for that matter. Holly just stares in a sometimes weird look of I don't know why they did that. The players have to be accountable for bad play or it just continues. Simple as that.

Thank You ! that`s my point all 3 freshmen need to be held accountable for there turnovers and poor play on the offensive end more so Westbrook and Hayes. As a coach you can not continue to on this course. Holly needs to move Westbrook out of the pg spot and turn it over to Hayes. And at the same time give Hayes a face to face about when to push the ball and when to pull back.

Thank You ! that`s my point all 3 freshmen need to be held accountable for there turnovers and poor play on the offensive end more so Westbrook and Hayes. As a coach you can not continue to on this course. Holly needs to move Westbrook out of the pg spot and turn it over to Hayes. And at the same time give Hayes a face to face about when to push the ball and when to pull back.
Hayes can't shot from the perimeter.duh? She's also a liability on defense,especially since there's no help defense on this team.
Izzy and Glory would never allow you to come into the paint and have your way like Russell does,
Nikki A.especially.
Davis is our best shooter but..but..but whatever.
When you have two ice cream cones like our Sr.leadership what do you expect as far as toughness is concern.
They also wasn't ready for Green or Dunbar.
Davis and Jackson carry this team but
no-one sees it.
Here's hoping for a change. Sigh.
Any kind of change.

Green was underused in yesterdays game and for the most part all season. She is an aggressive player after she has been on the floor a few minutes hasn't had the playing time she needed this season. Far better defender than Mercedes not as good an offensive player but certainly moves better.

Reactions: 2 people
Actually, you've got the wrong Porter. Bri Porter, Ciera's older sister, was the #43 recruit in 2014. Ciera was a 2015 recruit and I don't believe she was in the HG top 100 (but I seem to recall she was Blue Star rated). She was lost after tearing her ACL twice.

So Mizzou only has one ESPN Top 100 player on the roster, a #28. Tenn has eight, including five Top 12 ranked picks.
What about Ferricks(sp)? I thought she was ranked.

You also have to look at losses in context. During conference play, this team had two terrible losses to LSU and Bama, and a meltdown against Texas A&M. For conference and NCAA seeding, this game was a must win and the LVs had more than enough ability to beat Mizzou even on the road.

The LVs did fight back and show a much better effort than against Bama but it was poor defending and undisciplined play that got them in such a big hole.

You win as a team and lose as a team but Mercedes has been slumping. She missed four of five shots at the rim, that she just needs to make. Her misses were costly. But did the Lvs crash the boards to win another chance? More often than not, no.

Essentially, a smaller and less athletic team beat the LVs to rebounds, off the dribble and kept the LVs from dominating the paint. And conversely, the LVs could not figure out how to guard Mizzou. Mizzou got whatever they wanted. Open three pointers and drives to the rim. A team should be able to take one of those away.

Those aspects of the loss are just hard to understand.

Last edited:
you also have to look at losses in context, during conference play, this team had two terrible losses to LSU and Bama, and meltdown against Texas A&M. For conference and NCAA seeding, this game was must win and the LVs had more than enough ability to beat Mizzou even at home.

They did fight back and show a much better effort than against Bama but it was poor defending and undisciplined play that got them in such a big hole.

You win as a team and lose as a team but Mercedes has been slumping. She missed four of five shots at the rim, that just needs to make. Those misses were costly. But did the Lvs crash the boards to win another chance? More often than not, no.

Essentially, a smaller and less athletic beat them to rebounds and off the dribble and kept the Lvs from dominating the paint. And conversely, the LVs could not figure out how to guard Mizzou. they got what they wanted. Open three pointers and drives to the rim. A team should be able to take one of those away.

Those aspects of the loss are just hard to understand.

Good analysis, madtownvol. I know you are tired of hearing this, but Vic Schaefer would not allow this poor team effort from his players. Good coaching does make a difference.

Last edited:
their superstar beat our superstar, at home and with the help of friendly refs and a timely miss of a foul shot at the games end.

Good analysis, madtownvol. I know you are tired of hearing this, but Vic Schaefer would not allow this poor team effort from his players. Good coaching does make a difference.

To your point..... his point guard made the shot to beat Uconn in last years NCAA tournament! But when she was getting out played by Cuevas against South Carolina.... he BENCHED her because she was not performing!!!!!!!!!!!

Reactions: 5 people
To your point..... his point guard made the shot to beat Uconn in last years NCAA tournament! But when she was getting out played by Cuevas against South Carolina.... he BENCHED her because she was not performing!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes totally agree!!! No matter how good someone is.... or how good they have played.... you cannot afford to reward someone when they are not getting it done....

Our coach needs to demand more from her players.... we are a team of top shelf all stars out of high school who come to us but lose too often to teams composed of ham n eggers And the reasons the coach says after every game seem to be the same.... our effort was poor.... we were quick shooting ... we didn't defend the 3... all things which the coaching staff can control.....

Hayes can't shot from the perimeter.duh? She's also a liability on defense,especially since there's no help defense on this team.
Izzy and Glory would never allow you to come into the paint and have your way like Russell does,
Nikki A.especially.
Davis is our best shooter but..but..but whatever.
When you have two ice cream cones like our Sr.leadership what do you expect as far as toughness is concern.
They also wasn't ready for Green or Dunbar.
Davis and Jackson carry this team but
no-one sees it.
Here's hoping for a change. Sigh.
Any kind of change.

I do miss Big Nikki :yes:

The Lady Vols are going to be in physical games when tournament time rolls around..... They should keep their mouths shut on the floor and play through contact.

VN Store

Back