Thoughts on Butch Jones Show

Advertising for the show is still high, a valuable part of an overall sponsorship package.

Ratings from local stations say the viewership is as high or higher than it was 5 years ago.

I'm guessing that is attributable to early enthusiasm for the team. Unfortunately it looks like it will be dropping soon based on comments in this thread.

Thoughts on the Butch Jones Show: Was wondering what Cable Channel/SEC channel, local station or whatnot that you viewed such. Couldn't find it here in Central Fl area on Brighthouse. Pls advise and thank you from Fl Vol by way of the Cumberland mtns.
On Sportssouth here in Tampa.

Thanks to those for the info on what channel was carrying the show. We get Fox Sports So here in the Orl area on Brighthouse.

Johnny was fun to watch. Sometimes it was like he was watching the play for the first time. Phil was good on the show too. Got to know what was going on in their heads during the play. Not sure who drove the change but it should go back

Johnny's show was great. You never knew what he was going to say, and he was the best dressed man on Knoxville TV....next to Cas Walker. :good!:

Reactions: 1 person
I hate it, it makes me want to puke!! Bob Kesling is a lazy hack for producing a show that is that short on substance. I'm sure Ward is so sickened by it too, but he's too much of a gentleman to ever criticize BK.

Maybe CBJ doesn't break down the plays because he doesn't really know his X's and O's that well? Get Bajakian for that.

CBJ is a great motivator, salesman, and decision maker. That's all you need as a head coach as long as the staff knows the other stuff.

So you're basically saying Butch doesn't know anything.... smh.

Hey stop complaining. They showed how to make a 1000 calorie shake!

Lol!

Advertising for the show is still high, a valuable part of an overall sponsorship package.

Ratings from local stations say the viewership is as high or higher than it was 5 years ago.

I can't imagine it staying like that for long.

I agree with you, but the coach's show serves a very different purpose now than it did in Fulmer and Majors' day. And it's not just here, take a look at SportSouth on a Sunday and you'll see pretty much every show is like ours now.

The show as it is now is meant to be a 1-hour recruiting pitch to high school kids across the country. It is shot and planned 100% with selling the program in mind, not showing highlights.

High school recruits have no interest in watching a coach break down highlights. They want to see behind-the scenes pieces, player features, highlights set to music. And that's what the show is now. The player features show recruits how they will be promoted when they're at Tennessee and that's very important.

You're free to complain to the Vol Network. I'm not sure that they would disagree with you. But it's not going to change. It is reaching the audience that it is now intended for.

If that's true I think it's a load. Here in Knoxville and surrounding area it's aired at 11am on WBIR(NBC). I don't see many high school kids setting their alarms to get up and watch the Butch Jones Show on Sunday morning. Plus if they're trying to use it as a recruiting tool then I sure hope the show is aired nationally otherwise all they're going to achieve is boring the local fan base with an hour of fluff or they're going to lose viewership. I think there is enough recruiting info and videos already floating around out there where they don't really need to be doing it on a local Sunday morning show.

If that's true I think it's a load. Here in Knoxville and surrounding area it's aired at 11am on WBIR(NBC). I don't see many high school kids setting their alarms to get up and watch the Butch Jones Show on Sunday morning. Plus if they're trying to use it as a recruiting tool then I sure hope the show is aired nationally otherwise all they're going to achieve is boring the local fan base with an hour of fluff or they're going to lose viewership. I think there is enough recruiting info and videos already floating around out there where they don't really need to be doing it on a local Sunday morning show.

First of all, the show hasn't been on WBIR since the Fulmer era. It's on WVLT, the CBS affiliate. It is also shown on a local station in every market in Tennessee, in addition to SportSouth, which is on the basic cable package for every household in Tennessee, Georgia, Alabama and South Carolina, and parts of other states.

They upload the show to YouTube and can send it directly to recruits in email. They don't have to get up early on a Sunday or be local to watch it.

Second, I don't understand why everyone is acting like the format is new this year. The show has followed the same format segment by segment since Dooley's second year. It is identical this year to last year. The Utah State show was different because it was shot and aired before the game was played.

That's why my ratings comment is relevant, I'm not talking just about this year. I'm talking about the same format that had better-than-ever ratings last year for a losing team.

It's better than the Derek Mason show.

But..... ummmm..... mannnnn.... uhhhhh..... mannnnnn...... uhhhhhh.... ummmmmm.....

..... And this has been The Derek Mason Show! Tune in next week after we get our jocks handed to us by UMass!

First of all, the show hasn't been on WBIR since the Fulmer era. It's on WVLT, the CBS affiliate. It is also shown on a local station in every market in Tennessee, in addition to SportSouth, which is on the basic cable package for every household in Tennessee, Georgia, Alabama and South Carolina, and parts of other states.

They upload the show to YouTube and can send it directly to recruits in email. They don't have to get up early on a Sunday or be local to watch it.

Second, I don't understand why everyone is acting like the format is new this year. The show has followed the same format segment by segment since Dooley's second year. It is identical this year to last year. The Utah State show was different because it was shot and aired before the game was played.

That's why my ratings comment is relevant, I'm not talking just about this year. I'm talking about the same format that had better-than-ever ratings last year for a losing team.

I had already deleted it from the DVR so I forgot which channel it was on. I knew it was one of those W stations though. :)

If all what you said is true then my proposal would be for them to do their own recruiting videos off air and they can email those to whoever they want, instead do a play by play critique on the aired show. Seems like a lot of time and effort to go through for an entire football season for what might be up to 30+ recruits. The target demographic is extremely weak in number. I highly, highly doubt one or more of the Butch Jones TV Show recordings is a deciding factor in a recruit's choice to come to UT. Spare the countless die hard fans of the fluff.

I know there are probably not many people that really watch this but my honest opinion of it compared to the other TN coaches shows in the past is that it's mostly full of fluff and very little substance. Some years ago, I forget which coach because we've been through so many, but they'd have him comment on key plays for just about the whole game and I found that most interesting. You actually got to see what the coach thought of the plays and how he'd comment on what the players were doing that was right or wrong, or what needed improvement.

Just watched Butch Jones Show for the first time this season and that's my feelings on it. Thought I'd see what others had to say that have actually watched it.

Kentucky started this kind of Coaches show in the mid 90s. They would ask Bill Curry what he thought about the game and they would interview players and that was it.

Part of the package then...

I guess I can understand the ratings compared to 5 years ago. Thats about the time I lost interest in it. Still dvr one every once in a while to see if it's gotten any better.

Made it thru 17 mins of this last one.

Use to love to watch the JM and PF show....... IMO this show isn't looked forward to by the majority of Vols fans like it use to be.......... Not the fans I know anyway......... To much fluff......... Not enough discussion on the plays of the game.......

It's one thing to post suggestions and it's another thing to post personal attacks towards individuals like Bob Kesling who works very hard. I just don't understand why folks will hide behind a fake screen name and hurl insults. Nonetheless, we should take note as to how much OTHER video and production is going on in our modern day JumboTron / Internet Video viewing age. Back in the days of Coach JM and Coach PF the 'Show' was the only real public viewing area for video production so IT WAS THE Video Viewing Platform (only) of it's day. Image all the video production that's going on every single day in our Production Studios for the Internet and JumboTron now. That's a HUGE amount of work and takes incredible effort and more importantly TIME. The suggestions on this Thread seem very valid, but the insulting comments are cruel and unnecessary.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 people
He obviously gets well compensated for the show.....but maybe it's not his "cup of tea". He obviously has much more important things to worry about. Like finding a way to get Lane and Hurd some bigger holes to run through.

CBJ looks awkward doing the show. Kind of like a robot with a funny shaped head.

I'd rather have Butch fluff and his philosophy than listen to the dooley show saying, "we broke down there...gotta fix that...." over and over again and getting progressively worse.

Last edited:
For Fulmer it's hard to believe that sitting there reviewing game film on a TV broadcast that he couldn't see the huge decline and make the changes to right the ship.

I sure hope Jones sees that his running game is piss poor.

They have added a LOT more Sara Mitchell now which is terrific. Has Tennessee ever had a local football reporter as hot as her?

VN Store

Back