Thoughts on Butch Jones Show

Johnny Majors had, hands down, the best coaches show of all time. I swear when he watched the highlights, he got so excited it was like he was seeing it for the first time.

I know, I know, cue the "he was great on the sidelines" comments. ....

Loved Johnny's excitement or criticism on the show it was real emotion and to add John Ward was great as well. (By the way fixed your post hate the drunk jokes)

I know there are probably not many people that really watch this but my honest opinion of it compared to the other TN coaches shows in the past is that it's mostly full of fluff and very little substance. Some years ago, I forget which coach because we've been through so many, but they'd have him comment on key plays for just about the whole game and I found that most interesting. You actually got to see what the coach thought of the plays and how he'd comment on what the players were doing that was right or wrong, or what needed improvement.

Just watched Butch Jones Show for the first time this season and that's my feelings on it. Thought I'd see what others had to say that have actually watched it.

I agree with you, but the coach's show serves a very different purpose now than it did in Fulmer and Majors' day. And it's not just here, take a look at SportSouth on a Sunday and you'll see pretty much every show is like ours now.

The show as it is now is meant to be a 1-hour recruiting pitch to high school kids across the country. It is shot and planned 100% with selling the program in mind, not showing highlights.

High school recruits have no interest in watching a coach break down highlights. They want to see behind-the scenes pieces, player features, highlights set to music. And that's what the show is now. The player features show recruits how they will be promoted when they're at Tennessee and that's very important.

You're free to complain to the Vol Network. I'm not sure that they would disagree with you. But it's not going to change. It is reaching the audience that it is now intended for.

Reactions: 5 people
SO....basically, when John Ward hosted the show it was better? Imagine That!

John did so much of the talking that Phil would have to interrupt him to get a word in edgewise. The show was much more insightful to the team and the games back then but this is a different era. I think the Butch Jones philosophy is that if something doesn't benefit the current team, recruiting or fundraising then it's a waste of time...Recruits don't watch these shows, so there isn't much point to them anymore.

Reactions: 1 person
Big difference is almost every game is on TV now so we've already seen it

Agree Majors had entertaining shows -- yelling at the D-line to get their hands up. And the time he brought his whooping stick out and kept slamming it on the table for emphasis

Damn! I honestly thought I'd be in the minority with this opinion. Apparently not!

Honest to God the show isn't worth recording right now.

Get Butch Jones reporting on specific plays, specific videos of the latest game.

I think a lot of college shows have taken this path in the last few years.... Reality t.v. has messed thing up.... :) Too many sponsors and locker room interviews.

I agree with you, but the coach's show serves a very different purpose now than it did in Fulmer and Majors' day. And it's not just here, take a look at SportSouth on a Sunday and you'll see pretty much every show is like ours now.

The show as it is now is meant to be a 1-hour recruiting pitch to high school kids across the country. It is shot and planned 100% with selling the program in mind, not showing highlights.

High school recruits have no interest in watching a coach break down highlights. They want to see behind-the scenes pieces, player features, highlights set to music. And that's what the show is now. The player features show recruits how they will be promoted when they're at Tennessee and that's very important.

You're free to complain to the Vol Network. I'm not sure that they would disagree with you. But it's not going to change. It is reaching the audience that it is now intended for.

Thanks DP.

What about the advertising? Is that part of their package or are they paying for it individually? Looks like under the current format the show's viewership is nil.

Johnny Majors had, hands down, the best coaches show of all time. I swear when he watched the highlights, he got so excited it was like he was seeing it for the first time.

I know, I know, cue the "he was drunk on the sidelines" comments. ....

Haven't seen a coach's show SINCE the Johnny Majors Show...due to AF enlistment in 90...it was always great! Largely due to John Ward being the Johnny Whisperer.

Maybe CBJ doesn't break down the plays because he doesn't really know his X's and O's that well? Get Bajakian for that.

CBJ is a great motivator, salesman, and decision maker. That's all you need as a head coach as long as the staff knows the other stuff.

I am sure CBJ has better things to do than to sit and break down plays for the fans. I am sure he is contractually obligated to do the show though, just like all coaches are. From reading the posts over the past few days, most people on here knows more than the coaches anyway. So why would he waste his time?

My kids and I were really disappointed with the show. We look forwrd to the coaches analysis. If it's just going to be an hour of fluff we will probably quit watching.

I remember that Phillip Fulmer's coaches' show used to basically replay the entire game in an hour w/comments from Fulmer on what happened during that play. With Kiffin's hire, the coaches' show became what it is now; 30 minutes of game breakdown, 30 minutes of "analysis" from the coaches (which isn't all that revealing or informative).

I know there are probably not many people that really watch this but my honest opinion of it compared to the other TN coaches shows in the past is that it's mostly full of fluff and very little substance. Some years ago, I forget which coach because we've been through so many, but they'd have him comment on key plays for just about the whole game and I found that most interesting. You actually got to see what the coach thought of the plays and how he'd comment on what the players were doing that was right or wrong, or what needed improvement.

Just watched Butch Jones Show for the first time this season and that's my feelings on it. Thought I'd see what others had to say that have actually watched it.
Hey stop complaining. They showed how to make a 1000 calorie shake!

It's just like The Tonight Show was much better when Johnny and Ed were still drinking. Ah, Coach Majors! Where are you?!

IIRC, he probably WAS seeing the film for the first time. They used to film the show at 1 or 2 in the morning for home games and 5-6AM for away games. Most of the "game film" in those days was exactly that: film, which had to be developed and then edited for highlights.

One of my favorite memories of the Johnny Majors Show was the morning after the Vols beat Bama in '82 breaking an 11-year drought. John was clearly in a "good mood" and toward the end of the show he grabbed one of the O/W shakers on the desk and started beating John Ward over the head with it.

He won the NC for Pitt and Johnny came marching home and recruits followed him to Tennessee! It took several years, but Johnny Majors did indeed build a NC competitive team for Fulmer to inherit. His enthusiasm was infective. He was signing team pictures at one of the first cell phone stores in Knoxville and I lucked out to come in at a slow time. I told him my dad grew up with Bowden Wyatt and that's all it took. A big grin, and; Well then. Did you know ...; for about half an hour.

Sad that all three, Bowden, Johnny, and my Dad were all three alcoholics, and it ruined all three of their careers.

I always have my DVR set to record it. Win or lose, I always look forward to the coach analysis the morning after. It's important to hear a breakdown of why certain things happened, whether good or bad.

This week felt light on the analysis and too heavy on the fluff. Some fluff is ok -- the instagram fan pics are pretty cool. But they should do the fluffing very quickly and leave time for more substance. Some of the feature segments felt long to me. My guess is that Butch wants the show to focus more on the players. That's a great idea -- maybe they should create a Vols players show that follows the Butch Jones Show. Fans would watch it.

Johnny was fun to watch. Sometimes it was like he was watching the play for the first time. Phil was good on the show too. Got to know what was going on in their heads during the play. Not sure who drove the change but it should go back

Maybe CBJ doesn't break down the plays because he doesn't really know his X's and O's that well? Get Bajakian for that.

CBJ is a great motivator, salesman, and decision maker. That's all you need as a head coach as long as the staff knows the other stuff.

Butch was an OC for most of his career. I'd say he understands the plays.

Thanks for the insight DP. I was thinking that was probably the case, given how often they did features on the facilities, players, etc. However, I disagree that HS recruits have no interest in replays and would hope/think there will be some common middle ground.

Any competitive HS player likes to think of themselves as making "the big play" in college and being featured in the highlights (for example... Josh Smith leaping over the tackler). This has been part of the young athletes psyche for generations and has not changed.

It seems to me the show could still show some of the key highlights from the game and then CBJ could use those as recruiting opportunities by complimenting the players on how well they're playing, their discipline in being in the right position, and other such "coaching" moments. This would accomplish two things: (1) it still shows things that HS recruits are interested in, and (2) it highlights the coaches and how well they "teach and prepare" which is a big consideration for any recruit that wants to play on Sundays.

I know we all are suppose to hate Spurrier, and I am in that group, but he is one of the last few that speaks his mind. You do not get the same "blah blah blah" that we now get from most coaches. It is stinks.

Thanks DP.

What about the advertising? Is that part of their package or are they paying for it individually? Looks like under the current format the show's viewership is nil.

Advertising for the show is still high, a valuable part of an overall sponsorship package.

Ratings from local stations say the viewership is as high or higher than it was 5 years ago.

VN Store

Back