Thoughts after three games (long read)

Bunch of garbage that I chose not to read ! As soon as you let us know that you disagreed with Bailey supporters. I’m tired of the crap Hype of the two Qb’s that couldn’t get it done in there own leagues. That crap that they have to offer was against less opponents then what were about to face.! This is the SEC !! I’m tired of the miss throws on deep balls ! I’m tired of all the turnovers and the fumbles !!! I think that our offensive line has a lot to do with the choice of Qb’s. But there not the answer in SEC with bad choices and not hitting the receivers down field PERIOD !!! Oh by the way 11 quarters of football at home against less opponents is all on 1-2 QBs. Yes it’s disconcerting to me and others. But I’m a VFL and hope we win every week like everyone else.

Felt all the Boomer rage reading this.

And the previous staff - which ran a pro style offense - wasn’t in love with him either. They recruited Haynes King hard, even with Bailey committed.

Justin Worley was the national HS player of the year and it didn’t make him a good college QB. Bailey is closer to him than to Manning.

The previous staff wasn’t turning to a true freshman QB in the Covid year when said previous staff was in a make or break year before the scandal was discovered.

Reactions: Tnphil
For everyone who has already written off Milton, I just want you to think back to the 2009 season. Kiffin was the new head coach and most fans had already written off Johnathan Crompton as a bust. He didn't look good to start the season, and many said he couldn't be helped because he was a senior and it was too late. They figured out his issues and we went on to have a pretty good season nearly beating the future national champs (Bama). Crompton went from being a bust to being a draft pick. I don't know if this will happen with Joe Milton, but all the tools are there to be a future NFL draft pick if the deep ball accuracy is figured out. In all fairness, they haven't had much time to get it all worked out, and apparently he completes most of these throws in practice and scrimmages. If he completes just half of the missed deep balls, he gives us our best chance to win in SEC play. Right now, none of the QB's have shown the ability to consistently connect deep in game, but patience is nonexistent for most of Volnation.
It was the UGA game that year when Crompton's light finally came on.

The previous staff wasn’t turning to a true freshman QB in the Covid year when said previous staff was in a make or break year before the scandal was discovered.
But everything we read is that he’s a can’t miss prospect. Yet he can’t get on the field. He’s a game manager that needs good talent around him, which we don’t.

Reactions: TheVolsFrog
Just a collection of my observations on the season so far, 25% through it.

-Obviously, the biggest topic of discussion has been the QB position. The obsession by some of our fans with Bailey is weird. Bizarre. He's not even the backup. He's 3rd string. He hasn't shown anything to make us think he's a savior. He came in at garbage time of some games last year and completed a bunch of 3 yard outlet passes to RBs. I really don't get it. Yes, he was highly rated as a recruit, but that doesn't seem to matter as it pertains to Milton, does it? Furthermore, Heupel has been a GREAT developer of QBs. He knows the position as well as anyone in America. And he knows who is best in HIS offense better than anyone. Nonetheless, we have a bunch of armchair QBs who think Heupel doesn't know what he's doing in not starting Bailey because...hell, I don't know why. They've just decided that based on what they want their reality to be, I guess.

But yesterday, it was obvious why Bailey is 3rd string. He doesn't throw outs with nearly the zip of the other two. He's slow to process. His release is slow. He doesn't look confident. And he's obviously not at athletic. He was 3 for 7 against the Tech scrubs. So...let's drop the Bailey talk and move on to the two QBs who are in actual consideration to start:

Hooker has looked better than Milton at this point. That's obvious. A few of his runs have reminded me of Dobbs. And he has a strong arm, though not as strong as Milton's (who does?). I think Hooker is a solid SEC starting QB who could be pretty good, but not great. A pretty good QB with this surrounding cast won't take us far, but might get us to 6 wins. Maybe 7.

Milton's struggles on the deep ball have been well-documented. What's most maddening is that he's overthrowing these guys when he could just err on the side of under-throwing to give his man a chance to catch it or get a PI call. Of greater concern to me has been his tendency to hold the ball and not spot open WRs. He does hit the outs with precision (and has more than enough arm to get it there quickly). All things considered with Milton, he's not as good as Hooker at this point.

That said, I think there is a decent chance that Milton starts next week. And here's why: our coach (who, again, has forgotten more about coaching the QB position than any of us know) sees upside in this kid that he believes he can help him reach. And that upside is high enough that, if reached by a QB, will help Tennessee win faster (as in Year 2 or 3) than going with a guy who is just "good." A great QB can compensate for a ton of other deficiencies. If Heupel thinks he can get Milton to "special," he might go with him over a guy who is better right now. Remember...this isn't about this season. It's about building this program back to what it once was. Maybe going with Milton means Tennessee only wins 5 games this year (instead of 6 or 7), but wins 8 or 9 next year (instead of 6 or 7). And the faster Tennessee can get to an 8 or 9 win season, the faster recruiting becomes easier and success starts to snowball.

I've seen enough college QBs who looked awful turn into fantastic QBs by coaches who knew how to develop them and be patient with them (Crompton by Kiffin, Ainge by Cutcliffe, Brady Quinn by Weis). Also remember....Milton is the only one of the QBs who wasn't in Knoxville for Spring practice. He's very inexperienced in this offense. As his knowledge and comfort level with the offense grows, he'll process faster, and, I'm guessing, make better, more confident throws. I'll trust Heupel on this one.

-I've seen some of our fans criticize playcalling. That's absurd. Heupel might be the best play-caller I've seen at Tennessee. He's had WRs running wide open in all 3 games. His QBs haven't been hitting (or seeing) them and his WRs haven't been catching them and his OLine hasn't always protected, but he's calling plays to get them open time after time. At one point in the Pitt game, one of the announcers said Heupel was putting on a "playcalling clinic." He was. He's elite. One thing I love about him as a playcaller is that, when he spots a weakness, he keeps going at it, even if it doesn't work the first time. Case in point: Payton had a drop on a deep ball on the first possession yesterday. But it was obvious that that play was there anytime if we just executed it. So he called it again. Overthrow. The third time, it was a TD. The opponent didn't (couldn't) stop it. So keep calling it. Kiffin does that. Spurrier did that. It works. And it sends a message to both your team and your opponent. That's one example, but I've seen it all year.

-In the past 3 years, we went into games wondering if this team would score 20 points. This team has averaged 43 ppg. That's without executing very well. I know the schedule is about to get tougher, but there's no question this offensive staff is light years ahead of the last one (or the one before that, given the relative talent they're working with).

-I like the effort of this team. They seem to play hard for this staff. I've been pleasantly surprised by the defense. They swarm to the ball. The DLine has been solid against the run. The secondary is vastly improved. Special teams have also been special. These are all things this staff has improved.

-We're using the TEs! Warren and Fant (especially Warren) have been very good in the passing game. In future years, Miles Campbell, Julian Nixon, and Trinity Bell will be weapons.

-My biggest concerns: we're shooting ourselves in the foot way too often. Dumb (and numerous) penalties cost us the Pitt game. Dropped balls by the WRs. The DLine has been pretty good against the run, but the pass rush is bad. Lack of takeaways (0 before yesterday). QB's are not seeing open WRs or not hitting them. And the OLine is just not there. Put simply: the execution has been lacking. I understand that we have a new staff, new systems, and a completely turned over roster, so there's no reason to think this team SHOULD be executing at a high level right now or that it won't improve as the year goes on, systems are learned, and players gel. But I don't know that the Oline is going to get much better. Or the pass rush. They may be what they are and that concerns me. I really hope OLine is an area of focus for improvement next year. Crawford, Perry, Spraggins, Robinson, and Lampley really need to get better by next year. Might need to get a good transfer in the portal who can plug and play.

-The stretch we have coming up will be telling. Tennessee won't beat Florida, but if we can avoid a blowout, that would be nice. But we should beat South Carolina. Missouri is beatable, maybe even a tossup. If Tennessee wins those two, 6 wins is probably in the bag. And after Kentucky had to recover an onside to beat Chattanooga by 5, they're suddenly looking beatable on 11/6. Maybe Milton is rolling by then? Remember, Jon Crompton was horrible for 4 games in 2009, then it clicked and he became the 2nd best QB in the SEC. Can Milton do the same? Does Heupel believe he can? Regardless, if Tennessee goes 2-1 in the next 3, we should be very happy. If that stretch also includes Milton turning the corner, we should be over the moon.

Overall, I've seen plenty in 3 games that needs to be cleaned up, but plenty to give me hope for the future. Anyone who expected this team to come out and be "good" in the first 3 games was delusional. Chicken little fans who are already calling this staff a failure simply don't understand how program-building works. I am looking for a team that gets better as the year goes on. Every problem won't be fixed. Tennessee may not have a winning season. And we won't know for 3-4 years if this was a good hire. But I see some reasons to think it was.
The Bailey thing. Yes he played against scrubs. Yes he played with scrubs.

Turning around the lines have to be the priority in recruiting. Portal and or Jucos.
Agreed. We need to use more of the scholarships on the portal and JUCO's then look at the high schoolers. We need guys that are ready to play today. We are lacking big on depth.

bailey played w/ walk on r.b. and waterboy recvrs..cant believe you missed that. he's not ready to play w/ our pourous offensive line but dont sell the kid short..milton is soft and slow,great arm but little talent (look like tarzan-play like jane..hooker has some tools but cant throw deep and seems to be a turnover machine but does play tuff..hes a gamer.probably win the pitt game if he started.

my order hook/milton/bailey....long season my friend.
People sure like to bring up his O&W game performance and those were basically practice squad players.
Can't have it both ways

One other point as it pertains to playing Milton right now…he’s a RSSoph. Hooker is a Senior. So if you play Hooker all year, you’re starting over at QB next year with Milton or Bailey. But if you ride out the rough spots with Milton this year, you have an experienced QB next year who has developed (assuming Heupel believes he will…and I have to think he does).

Hooker is a redshirt junior and still has another year of eligibility left.

2017 Fr, didn't play.
2018 RS Fr
2019 RS Soph
2020 Covid, didn't count
2021 RS Jr

Reactions: Sarms58
You shouldn't judge Bailey based off of a clean up stint with mostly 3rd string talent around him. I have said it before, when we made our coaching hire decision our offensive philosophy was decided and the type of quarterback we would be playing and recruiting was decided. We are now committed to his fast moving, simplistic, highschoolish offensive scheme. Talented prostyle quarterbacks need not apply.
Um... I'm not sure how many high school OCs merge elements of the Wing T, Air Raid, Air Coryell, Inside/Outside Zone, and the West Coast offenses into their offense.....

Last edited:
You shouldn't judge Bailey based off of a clean up stint with mostly 3rd string talent around him. I have said it before, when we made our coaching hire decision our offensive philosophy was decided and the type of quarterback we would be playing and recruiting was decided. We are now committed to his fast moving, simplistic, highschoolish offensive scheme. Talented prostyle quarterbacks need not apply.
Um... I'm not sure how many high school OCs merge elements of the Wing T, Air Raid, Air Coryell, Inside/Outside Zone, and the West Coast offenses into their offense.....

-Obviously, the biggest topic of discussion has been the QB position. The obsession by some of our fans with Bailey is weird. Bizarre. He's not even the backup. He's 3rd string. He hasn't shown anything to make us think he's a savior. He came in at garbage time of some games last year and completed a bunch of 3 yard outlet passes to RBs. I really don't get it. Yes, he was highly rated as a recruit, but that doesn't seem to matter as it pertains to Milton, does it? Furthermore, Heupel has been a GREAT developer of QBs. He knows the position as well as anyone in America. And he knows who is best in HIS offense better than anyone. Nonetheless, we have a bunch of armchair QBs who think Heupel doesn't know what he's doing in not starting Bailey because...hell, I don't know why. They've just decided that based on what they want their reality to be, I guess.

But yesterday, it was obvious why Bailey is 3rd string. He doesn't throw outs with nearly the zip of the other two. He's slow to process. His release is slow. He doesn't look confident. And he's obviously not at athletic. He was 3 for 7 against the Tech scrubs. So...let's drop the Bailey talk and move on to the two QBs who are in actual consideration to start:

Hooker has looked better than Milton at this point. That's obvious. A few of his runs have reminded me of Dobbs. And he has a strong arm, though not as strong as Milton's (who does?). I think Hooker is a solid SEC starting QB who could be pretty good, but not great. A pretty good QB with this surrounding cast won't take us far, but might get us to 6 wins. Maybe 7.

Milton's struggles on the deep ball have been well-documented. What's most maddening is that he's overthrowing these guys when he could just err on the side of under-throwing to give his man a chance to catch it or get a PI call. Of greater concern to me has been his tendency to hold the ball and not spot open WRs. He does hit the outs with precision (and has more than enough arm to get it there quickly). All things considered with Milton, he's not as good as Hooker at this point.

That said, I think there is a decent chance that Milton starts next week. And here's why: our coach (who, again, has forgotten more about coaching the QB position than any of us know) sees upside in this kid that he believes he can help him reach. And that upside is high enough that, if reached by a QB, will help Tennessee win faster (as in Year 2 or 3) than going with a guy who is just "good." A great QB can compensate for a ton of other deficiencies. If Heupel thinks he can get Milton to "special," he might go with him over a guy who is better right now. Remember...this isn't about this season. It's about building this program back to what it once was. Maybe going with Milton means Tennessee only wins 5 games this year (instead of 6 or 7), but wins 8 or 9 next year (instead of 6 or 7). And the faster Tennessee can get to an 8 or 9 win season, the faster recruiting becomes easier and success starts to snowball.

I've seen enough college QBs who looked awful turn into fantastic QBs by coaches who knew how to develop them and be patient with them (Crompton by Kiffin, Ainge by Cutcliffe, Brady Quinn by Weis). Also remember....Milton is the only one of the QBs who wasn't in Knoxville for Spring practice. He's very inexperienced in this offense. As his knowledge and comfort level with the offense grows, he'll process faster, and, I'm guessing, make better, more confident throws. I'll trust Heupel on this one.

-I've seen some of our fans criticize playcalling. That's absurd. Heupel might be the best play-caller I've seen at Tennessee. He's had WRs running wide open in all 3 games. His QBs haven't been hitting (or seeing) them and his WRs haven't been catching them and his OLine hasn't always protected, but he's calling plays to get them open time after time. At one point in the Pitt game, one of the announcers said Heupel was putting on a "playcalling clinic." He was. He's elite. One thing I love about him as a playcaller is that, when he spots a weakness, he keeps going at it, even if it doesn't work the first time. Case in point: Payton had a drop on a deep ball on the first possession yesterday. But it was obvious that that play was there anytime if we just executed it. So he called it again. Overthrow. The third time, it was a TD. The opponent didn't (couldn't) stop it. So keep calling it. Kiffin does that. Spurrier did that. It works. And it sends a message to both your team and your opponent. That's one example, but I've seen it all year.

-In the past 3 years, we went into games wondering if this team would score 20 points. This team has averaged 43 ppg. That's without executing very well. I know the schedule is about to get tougher, but there's no question this offensive staff is light years ahead of the last one (or the one before that, given the relative talent they're working with).

-I like the effort of this team. They seem to play hard for this staff. I've been pleasantly surprised by the defense. They swarm to the ball. The DLine has been solid against the run. The secondary is vastly improved. Special teams have also been special. These are all things this staff has improved.

-We're using the TEs! Warren and Fant (especially Warren) have been very good in the passing game. In future years, Miles Campbell, Julian Nixon, and Trinity Bell will be weapons.

-My biggest concerns: we're shooting ourselves in the foot way too often. Dumb (and numerous) penalties cost us the Pitt game. Dropped balls by the WRs. The DLine has been pretty good against the run, but the pass rush is bad. Lack of takeaways (0 before yesterday). QB's are not seeing open WRs or not hitting them. And the OLine is just not there. Put simply: the execution has been lacking. I understand that we have a new staff, new systems, and a completely turned over roster, so there's no reason to think this team SHOULD be executing at a high level right now or that it won't improve as the year goes on, systems are learned, and players gel. But I don't know that the Oline is going to get much better. Or the pass rush. They may be what they are and that concerns me. I really hope OLine is an area of focus for improvement next year. Crawford, Perry, Spraggins, Robinson, and Lampley really need to get better by next year. Might need to get a good transfer in the portal who can plug and play.

-The stretch we have coming up will be telling. Tennessee won't beat Florida, but if we can avoid a blowout, that would be nice. But we should beat South Carolina. Missouri is beatable, maybe even a tossup. If Tennessee wins those two, 6 wins is probably in the bag. And after Kentucky had to recover an onside to beat Chattanooga by 5, they're suddenly looking beatable on 11/6. Maybe Milton is rolling by then? Remember, Jon Crompton was horrible for 4 games in 2009, then it clicked and he became the 2nd best QB in the SEC. Can Milton do the same? Does Heupel believe he can? Regardless, if Tennessee goes 2-1 in the next 3, we should be very happy. If that stretch also includes Milton turning the corner, we should be over the moon.

Overall, I've seen plenty in 3 games that needs to be cleaned up, but plenty to give me hope for the future. Anyone who expected this team to come out and be "good" in the first 3 games was delusional. Chicken little fans who are already calling this staff a failure simply don't understand how program-building works. I am looking for a team that gets better as the year goes on. Every problem won't be fixed. Tennessee may not have a winning season. And we won't know for 3-4 years if this was a good hire. But I see some reasons to think it was.
00BA7C4D-5BAD-4AF6-B61E-095293D2E50A.gif

Reactions: Remy

ran out of time. agree on all points. many want to criticize whipping TT. Truth is its first time ive seen offensive players open, wide open in years.

Bunch of garbage that I chose not to read ! As soon as you let us know that you disagreed with Bailey supporters. I’m tired of the crap Hype of the two Qb’s that couldn’t get it done in there own leagues. That crap that they have to offer was against less opponents then what were about to face.! This is the SEC !! I’m tired of the miss throws on deep balls ! I’m tired of all the turnovers and the fumbles !!! I think that our offensive line has a lot to do with the choice of Qb’s. But there not the answer in SEC with bad choices and not hitting the receivers down field PERIOD !!! Oh by the way 11 quarters of football at home against less opponents is all on 1-2 QBs. Yes it’s disconcerting to me and others. But I’m a VFL and hope we win every week like everyone else.

I haven't seen anyone use exclamation points that haphazardly since Elaine Benes.

But everything we read is that he’s a can’t miss prospect. Yet he can’t get on the field. He’s a game manager that needs good talent around him, which we don’t.

Once again, going into the Covid year with a QB about to start for his 4th season, Pruitt wasn’t about to throw out a true freshman. Especially considering the fact we had no cupcakes for him to play against early on in the season. His first action was after our heralded 4 year starter spotted a SEC defense back to back pick 6’s.

Bailey’s entry to the college game from offseason to season wasn’t exactly the norm. Given the performance we got from JG, I would have loved to seem Chaney and Bailey playing a lot of games together with a score 0-0.

Reactions: Tnphil

Another give Milton another crutch thread.

And even then everyone wasn’t enamored with Dobbs ... passing...but we’ve been wishing we had him back since he left I can understand favoring mobility in a qb right now because it does what Dobbs did...equalize some of the OL inferiority to DLs we will face.
Oh man Donna frusothe heck outta me!! I cussed him then praised him all in the same play many times in his tenure here but looking back I wish I had him bk now! Haha. Being a die hard fan is hard. All you guys know!! It’s amazing how crazy the love and passion for our team makes us sometimes!

Reactions: njvols

24/7 Sports ranked Bailey a 4 star with a composite score of 0.9555, 99th ranked player in the 2020 class.
Just for reference, Jarrett Guarantano was ranked a 4 star with a composite score of 0.9628, 79th ranked player in the 2016 class.

Reactions: Raebo
The more I watch Tennessee the more I realize how important the QB position is.

I'm convinced that if we trade our best QB for Matt Corall, the only teams that beat us are Bama and Georgia.

Better get some more muscle on the o-line, too.

One other point as it pertains to playing Milton right now…he’s a RSSoph. Hooker is a Senior. So if you play Hooker all year, you’re starting over at QB next year with Milton or Bailey. But if you ride out the rough spots with Milton this year, you have an experienced QB next year who has developed (assuming Heupel believes he will…and I have to think he does).
I thought the same thing on Hooker last week being a 5th year senior and done after this season but was told that due to the Covid rule last season he has another year after this season.

Milton's uncanny ability to not just miss, but badly miss, guys running free - even when the protection has been good - is mystifying. Hence the obsession with every other QB. It is pure malfeasance that our roster is this decimated. Cornbread Beldar and his merry band of cheaters can take a long walk off a short pier.
Simple solution, have him take a 15 step drop every play

VN Store

Back