This team has redeemed itself.

i posted this in another thread, but it seems more relevant here.

i wasn't going to to do this because i did not want to throw water on tennessee's run, but since we have all these "apology" type threads i think it needs to be said.

you don't judge anyone by a game or two. you judge things based on whether or not you like the future and direction of the program.

so, the question is does a win over iowa, massachusetts and mercer change where you think the future of tennessee basketball is headed?

i'm just asking the question.

because, one can easily make the argument that while reaching the sweet sixteen is impressive....just where the hell was this all year long? why was this team a legitimate bubble team at risk of not getting invited to the dance?

tennessee isn't kentucky with a bunch of freshman that needed to grow up.

this team is lead by juniors and seniors.

imo, everyone should be thrilled by advancing to the sweet sixteen. but, i wouldn't let a win over mercer erase the memory of a lot of inexplicable poor play throughout the season.

So what would qualify for this team being better/getting better at the right time?

If we beat Michigan would this suffice or do we have to get to the NC for people to appreciate the job this staff has done with this team in the latter half of the season.

Just wish people would enjoy the ride and now worry about next years trip. We are in the sweet sixteen, who gives an Eff who we had to beat to get here, we are here, one more game than anyone else, another flight, etc.... and we are still here. Everyone look around we are one of the best 16 teams in the nation and no one can say different. The committee seeded us and we played them and beat them, can't help #3 seed duke laid a F%*NG egg.

I think we beat Michigan and hope to see Louisville next.

It hasn't overachieved, and the program still is in bad shape. Why in the world anyone thinks that a team playing the way it should have all along and beating Iowa, UMASS, and Mercer, deserves an apology for the garbage that we saw all year is just weird. Martin has earned himself another year, has he proven himself to be anything other than a mediocre coach and a terrible recruiter? NO. Unless he is able to parlay this into completely redoing his recruiting class the future remains bleak. The talent level next year will not be mediocre, it will be flat out bad. Some people act as if "we made the sweet 16 so I guess the program is in great shape going forward" Bull fing crap.

I am sorry - but when you find this many things to complain about when 'your' team is in the Sweet 16, and has a chance to equal or better its best run in the history of its program....
There is something just WRONG with the Poster. Mentally, Emotionally or he is (as previously mentioned) doing it because he is an attention whore. That simple.

Let's look at it this way and judge Martin and decide if we want to commit to him longterm.

-Has he improved the team's record every year? Yes.
-Does he improve the team every season during the year? Yes.
-Has he recruited top end talent? Yes.
-Has he brough in lower ranked talent and developed them into good players? Yes.
-Does he graduate players? Yes.
-Does he develop players over the course of their career? Yes.
-Do his players stay out of jail? Yes.
-Has he proven he can win in the NCAA tournament? Yes.
-Has he had us in the SEC upper tier? Yes.
-Has he improved as a coach each season? Yes.
-Does he promote the program? Maybe not quite well enough but seems to be getting better.

If you look at the above and have any complaints..that is on you.

The fact of the matter is this "regular season" was a few wins below expectations. But over the course of the year, he has brough along a 2 Guard and developed him into a PG who has 0 turnovers thus far in the NCAA tourney. His other option at PG was a true freshman and he is improving as well.

He lost his impact 5* freshman recruit who was supposed to be our 2nd best outside scorer. In turn he has helped his best defender develop his offensive game over the season to be a huge scoring threat.

One of his returning SR's has not been hisself until recently as he had to get over a major injury, get in shape and get confidnce back. Instead of benching him or giving up on him, he stuck with it and Maymon is playing his best now.

He probably relied to much on Mcrae early in the season and now understands his best offensive method is to go through Stokes and we are humming at the right time.

There is 0 reason to look at this season and really the program, IMO, and not be very encouraged for the LONGTERM success. Maybe next season is a SMALL step back ( I think we won't be near as bad as some think) but Martin is proving he can develop a team and players.

GO VOLS!

Reactions: 2 people
These threads are my favorite man. The people who are still tryin to defend theyselves on bashin Zo all year instead of just shuttin up and enjoying what we got going are hilarious. I kinda wish we could jus merge all these threads into one called "I see Zo doing big things now but Ima still try and tell you that Im right" so that I just have to go to one place to get my mornin comedy.....after all, with each win these threads are gettin harder to find

i posted this in another thread, but it seems more relevant here.

i wasn't going to to do this because i did not want to throw water on tennessee's run, but since we have all these "apology" type threads i think it needs to be said.

you don't judge anyone by a game or two. you judge things based on whether or not you like the future and direction of the program.

so, the question is does a win over iowa, massachusetts and mercer change where you think the future of tennessee basketball is headed?

i'm just asking the question.

because, one can easily make the argument that while reaching the sweet sixteen is impressive....just where the hell was this all year long? why was this team a legitimate bubble team at risk of not getting invited to the dance?

tennessee isn't kentucky with a bunch of freshman that needed to grow up.

this team is lead by juniors and seniors.

imo, everyone should be thrilled by advancing to the sweet sixteen. but, i wouldn't let a win over mercer erase the memory of a lot of inexplicable poor play throughout the season.

Similar to Florida in football. Florida's roster is loaded with RSR, SR, RJR, and JR's, so this is not a necessarily young football team led by a RJR QB with 15 starts under his belt. If a winning record is achieved in 2014 does that mean the program is heading in the proper direction?

I mean, does beating the likes of Idaho, Eastern KY, and Eastern Mich for half of your 6 wins translate that the direction is sound?

Normally in football, the conference battles decides the order of things. In basketball, it is what happens in March.

It hasn't overachieved, and the program still is in bad shape. Why in the world anyone thinks that a team playing the way it should have all along and beating Iowa, UMASS, and Mercer, deserves an apology for the garbage that we saw all year is just weird. Martin has earned himself another year, has he proven himself to be anything other than a mediocre coach and a terrible recruiter? NO. Unless he is able to parlay this into completely redoing his recruiting class the future remains bleak. The talent level next year will not be mediocre, it will be flat out bad. Some people act as if "we made the sweet 16 so I guess the program is in great shape going forward" Bull fing crap.

Bippity Bippity Bop
You write pure SLOP

Similar to Florida in football. Florida's roster is loaded with RSR, SR, RJR, and JR's, so this is not a necessarily young football team led by a RJR QB with 15 starts under his belt. If a winning record is achieved in 2014 does that mean the program is heading in the proper direction?

I mean, does beating the likes of Idaho, Eastern KY, and Eastern Mich for half of your 6 wins translate that the direction is sound?

that's exactly correct and trust me this is a big debate in gator circles.

So what would qualify for this team being better/getting better at the right time?

If we beat Michigan would this suffice or do we have to get to the NC for people to appreciate the job this staff has done with this team in the latter half of the season.

Just wish people would enjoy the ride and now worry about next years trip. We are in the sweet sixteen, who gives an Eff who we had to beat to get here, we are here, one more game than anyone else, another flight, etc.... and we are still here. Everyone look around we are one of the best 16 teams in the nation and no one can say different. The committee seeded us and we played them and beat them, can't help #3 seed duke laid a F%*NG egg.

I think we beat Michigan and hope to see Louisville next.

it's a genuine philosophical question. and i am not saying i have the answer.

first, zo isn't going anywhere. i am not even suggesting he should be fired. that's not what i am saying.

i am saying that while it may have been to early to bury him, it's too early to apologize and build him a statue too.

i am saying i don't entirely buy in because of this run.

i don't know if i buy in tennessee being a consistent tourney team with zo.

i don't know if i buy in tennessee competing for conference titles.

i don't know.

and that's all i am saying.

people went from "fire him, he's not the guy" to "this guy is awesome. he's the man".

i don't buy in to either of those right now.

it's a genuine philosophical question. and i am not saying i have the answer.

first, zo isn't going anywhere. i am not even suggesting he should be fired. that's not what i am saying.

i am saying that while it may have been to early to bury him, it's too early to apologize and build him a statue too.

i am saying i don't entirely buy in because of this run.

i don't know if i buy in tennessee being a consistent tourney team with zo.

i don't know if i buy in tennessee competing for conference titles.

i don't know.

and that's all i am saying.

people went from "fire him, he's not the guy" to "this guy is awesome. he's the man".

i don't buy in to either of those right now.

You try to make your post so above the fray. You need crawl back in your swamp hole and face the fact Muschump is a loser!!

How above it all would you be if the unbelievable happened and Tennessee beat your gators for the NC.

One other thing;
Why do all you Counzo haters think this team is so talented.

They have no point guard, they have no 1st round NBA'ers on the team (Stokes maybe). Their talent level is not in the top 10 in the country and yet they have made the Sweet 16.

Cuonzo's teams have gotten better at the end of every year he has coached. This team took a little longer to get to that point. But They did.

Once again Tennessee is playing their best basketball at the end of the season.

You really couldn't ask much more from this team than where they are.

They may lose to Michigan but even with that it is a very successful positive season.

And think of this if they beat Michigan they will have gone as far as any Tennessee basketball team ever, tieing Pearl's team.

All this negative, whining, from you MTV crowd sucks!!!

Reactions: 1 person
It really is hard to tell

I've seen him post on other topics though, such as how bad wilbekin and Florida is and how great Craft and OSU are....so I'm leaning towards completely full of ****

Anybody who believes Skylar McBee is a better defender than Antonio Barton is certifiably insane. I really have a hard time understanding why any of you guys even entertain this assclown.

Let's look at it this way and judge Martin and decide if we want to commit to him longterm.

-Has he improved the team's record every year? Yes.
-Does he improve the team every season during the year? Yes.
-Has he recruited top end talent? Yes.
-Has he brough in lower ranked talent and developed them into good players? Yes.
-Does he graduate players? Yes.
-Does he develop players over the course of their career? Yes.
-Do his players stay out of jail? Yes.
-Has he proven he can win in the NCAA tournament? Yes.
-Has he had us in the SEC upper tier? Yes.
-Has he improved as a coach each season? Yes.
-Does he promote the program? Maybe not quite well enough but seems to be getting better.

If you look at the above and have any complaints..that is on you.

The fact of the matter is this "regular season" was a few wins below expectations. But over the course of the year, he has brough along a 2 Guard and developed him into a PG who has 0 turnovers thus far in the NCAA tourney. His other option at PG was a true freshman and he is improving as well.

He lost his impact 5* freshman recruit who was supposed to be our 2nd best outside scorer. In turn he has helped his best defender develop his offensive game over the season to be a huge scoring threat.

One of his returning SR's has not been hisself until recently as he had to get over a major injury, get in shape and get confidnce back. Instead of benching him or giving up on him, he stuck with it and Maymon is playing his best now.

He probably relied to much on Mcrae early in the season and now understands his best offensive method is to go through Stokes and we are humming at the right time.

There is 0 reason to look at this season and really the program, IMO, and not be very encouraged for the LONGTERM success. Maybe next season is a SMALL step back ( I think we won't be near as bad as some think) but Martin is proving he can develop a team and players.

GO VOLS!

I remember a lot of panic his first year when Hopson and Harris left, Kevin Ware asked out of his LOI, and Chris Jones didn't qualify. We were predicted to finish 11th in the SEC (and there were still just 12 teams back then). I remember articles saying we would be lucky to win more than 4 SEC games.

We won 10 and finished tied for 2nd.

I do expect a step back next year, but I don't see disaster. I also think we'll see more recruiting momentum in '15 as a result of this run (though I think the '14 class is better than its rating; I find the star system much less reliable in basketball than football, outside the obvious "one-and-done" types).

Reactions: 2 people

VN Store

Back