This is turning into an absolute circus...

I'm not positive the words Patience and Fans go together. I do agree that hiring a search firm seems late. But, if they need more time, take it. Let's get this right.

Since we're paying 3/4 of Hart's 2017 compensation to work thru june/july (whenever it is), and is under contract thru I believe Sept, they probably don't want to double dip by hiring someone now and having them on the books. I don't think right way to go, but may have something to do w/ it???

How many times can we hire a search firm or be close to hiring one? It seems like I've read this five or six times. Either they're hiring one or they're not. Also, we need to pay Davenport less if as has to hire someone else to do part of her job. The fact that 95% of the fan base could get this hire right in five minutes says all you need to know.
This is a huge part of the "problem". The fans think they know so much more than the folks in positions to make decisions. This is a problem with society in general. People on the outside always know so much more that the ones making decisions regardless of what that is.

UT paid the Parker Executive Search firm $75,000, plus expenses, to help in its nationwide hunt for a new chancellor for the Knoxville campus.

The contract locked in terms that can be used by the Tennessee Board of Regents and any of the UT campuses for searches, but neither is required to use Parker.

UT would not comment on why it has opened the bidding process for a search firm for the athletic director hire.

Parker has helped UT fill at least 11 leadership positions, including four in athletics, in the past nine years.

The Atlanta-based firm aided UT searches that resulted in the hiring of Hart, former basketball coach Cuonzo Martin, former football coach Derek Dooley and current baseball coach Dave Serrano.

Well, that's encouraging.

And so was this:
"Parker has been involved with some controversial athletic director hirings over the years. Former Minnesota athletic director Norwood Teague stepped down from the position in 2015 after sexual harassment allegations. Parker disputed a suggestion by school president Eric Kaler that it didn’t do its due diligence during the search process.

In 2013, Parker helped Rutgers University hire former Lady Vols volleyball coach Julie Hermann as athletic director. The firm failed to discover Hermann was accused of verbally abusing UT players in the 1990s, according to USA TODAY. Hermann was fired by Rutgers in 2015.
"

This is a huge part of the "problem". The fans think they know so much more than the folks in positions to make decisions. This is a problem with society in general. People on the outside always know so much more that the ones making decisions regardless of what that is.

Well, duhh...

:)

Reactions: 1 person
Best thing Vol fans can do is shut up about it until NSD. Nothing is going to happen until the Queen comes in probably anyway.

FYI, the fans wanted Hart..

Yeah - if I remember correctly Hart was a pretty popular guy when he was first hired and when he fired Dooley (even though that was a writing on the wall type of decision). Hiring a basketball coach who went on to be handed the most severe penalty in NCAA history for infractions has a way to reducing your popularity though.

Fans are just too quick to lionize and too quick to demonize. Although the quick demonization of Hart is basically justified though, IMO. I really don't think he was much of an AD.

This is not rocket science. I cannot believe for the life of me that a big $$ booster(s) or Trustee(s) would be so selfish as to put their self interest ahead of the overall integrity of this program and actively campaign against the hiring of Blackburn. YGTBSM. He's a known quantity with outstanding experience. If you had a little dust up with Blackburn, get the %*#! over it and get out of the way.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 people

Yes, because the folks in the athletic department at UT have been making such great decisions over the past 15 years. Just keep passing your ticket money and accept the mediocrity and excuses.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 people
Search firm? If this is necessary, why is it only happening just now? The butt dragging that is going on over this decision is astronomical.

What if Phil Fulmer and or David Blackburn are not paying members of the search firm's pool of candidates? You can't win if you ain't in.

Search firms aren't about getting the right hire. They're about covering the people doing the hiring. It's cowardly and pathetic but that's where we are.

Reactions: 4 people
It's never boring....Or surprising. The incompetence is reaching Doolian levels.

Get one hired in a few days or weeks .... fans will say the movers and shakers didn't give it enough consideration to hire the right guy. Get one hired after having a head hunter firm without a dog in the race do the leg work of preparing a short list of the best available ... fans will say you shoulda, woulda, coulda, hired MY/OUR favorite candidate way back when.

Frankly, I like how this is going.

The only folk who see this as a circus are the clowns anyway. :)

Reactions: 2 people
And so was this:
"Parker has been involved with some controversial athletic director hirings over the years. Former Minnesota athletic director Norwood Teague stepped down from the position in 2015 after sexual harassment allegations. Parker disputed a suggestion by school president Eric Kaler that it didn’t do its due diligence during the search process.

In 2013, Parker helped Rutgers University hire former Lady Vols volleyball coach Julie Hermann as athletic director. The firm failed to discover Hermann was accused of verbally abusing UT players in the 1990s, according to USA TODAY. Hermann was fired by Rutgers in 2015.
"

This choice is...what I mean to say is...In my opinion... I guess there's not much to say about company w/ this track record...Effort 63???

Since we're paying 3/4 of Hart's 2017 compensation to work thru june/july (whenever it is), and is under contract thru I believe Sept, they probably don't want to double dip by hiring someone now and having them on the books. I don't think right way to go, but may have something to do w/ it???

So let's spend more money hiring a search firm??? 🤓

Get one hired in a few days or weeks .... fans will say the movers and shakers didn't give it enough consideration to hire the right guy. Get one hired after having a head hunter firm without a dog in the race do the leg work of preparing a short list of the best available ... fans will say you shoulda, woulda, coulda, hired MY/OUR favorite candidate way back when.

Frankly, I like how this is going.

The only folk who see this as a circus are the clowns anyway. :)

If you think this is the way to handle the hiring process of a D1 AD, you may be the clown.

Reactions: 2 people
Willing to withhold critique of the signing class until I actually see them play, but on paper it's underwhelming for sure.

As of 5 minutes ago UT was No. 10 in the class rankings of 247, Rivals, and Scout. They may drop 2 -3 places after NSD as so many high 4* and 5*'s wait until NSD to announce, and us not likely to get any such good surprises this year. From where recruiting started with the long parade of nothing but mid grade 3*'s, I'll be very happy to stay under 15th place. If we stay at no. 10, I'm pretty well amazed.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back