This coaching staff is SEC's best!!

All comes down to a young team learning their assignments and executing. Had a OC in college tell me once "every play that has ever been drawn up in the history of football should be a scoring play if all 11 men do their job with perfection" I know its frustrating but things will improve, I'm most excited for the fact we have an sec caliber defense.

I guess that every defensive scheme when 11 men do their job perfectly = no score. Paradox! :whistling:

Reactions: 1 person
There's blame and there's reality. They tried screens a few times to blunt the pass rush. Mostly that didn't work other than one long screen. Reality is the oline is terrible right now. That's not an excuse and it was magnified by facing one of the better dlines in the country in a hostile environment. I didn't agree with the empty backfield on 3rd and 2 but I thought overall the coaches did a pretty good job putting us in a position to win if we had proper execution.

I live in Georgia. The past 2 weeks all the news is been on the daeg train. They gonna win the sec, they gonna win the NC. The past 2 days, they need to fire their OC. Every fan base hates the OC during a loss, or bad offensive game. I may not like the calls, but I'm not the coach. Tennessee needs stability, they'll get better.

Reactions: 3 people
Armchair qbs have been complaining about play calling around here after every game lost by TN since Johnny Majors got here. It is what we do!

so you propose what?? getting the 4th new OC/scheme in 6 years; now that is genius and will certainly help this young vols team be successful in the future.... some people....:banghead2::banghead2::banghead2:

No Butch needs to have CJB adjust. Enough with the cute stuff.

Croom pulls in the pass in for a TD and Worley hits an open receiver at the back of the end zone for a TD or throws it away for a FG and the score changes to 27-20 or 27-24. If those 2 plays had gone our way, I doubt anyone on here would be calling for anything but giving the coaches a raise and saying bring on the Dogs.

Just how exotic can you get when you might have had freshmen at WR, TE, RT, RG and RB on the field at the same time against that defense?

This team played its heart out Saturday night and the coaches did a great job getting the ready. No one is making excuses as Tennessee plays to win. Are we better than last year? Absolutely - and that with so many first year players. I would prefer to see how this year plays out and see this team get better than try to drive a wedge in the team or coaches after only 3 games.

Reactions: 4 people
Each and every coach is faithful to Tennessee and is striving to take us to the top. They have all returned for a second year. They are all doing a hell of a job. For anyone to call for replacements during this rebuilding process shows how little they know. The one thing we did not have with Dooley was continuity in the coaching staff. You know the result. Evidently some don't bother to listen to each coach's regular interviews. Don't be criticizing our players and our coaches now!! Wait til the season is over. IT IS DETRIMENTAL TO OUR PROGRESSION! It is also annoying to "real" Volunteer fans.

It's a message board...there's always going to be criticism. Do not see how VN post's are detrimental to our progression of our team.
FTR..I'm convinced we are on our way up in a quick way...but some play calling and coaching decisions showing up on field is ???

Reactions: 2 people
I love Butch and his enthusiasm, I just wish he focused more on coaching and less on all the pomp and circumstance, tradition and pageantry. That will all return with winning.

I agree about some bad play calls at some points in the game, but look at what Bajakian did for Worley in one year. It's a Crompton-like turnaround so far. He's been our best offense.

Have we not learned anything about coaches. They are loyal to their check. We have had a few exceptions at UT with Majors and Fulmer but historically and across all schools they are basically hired guns. I am done placing what my feelings are for my school on the coaches. Their job is to win games for my alma mater. The players will always have my loyalty first. I love what Butch is doing here and hope he is successful and has a long reign at UT.

Each and every coach is faithful to Tennessee and is striving to take us to the top. They have all returned for a second year. They are all doing a hell of a job. For anyone to call for replacements during this rebuilding process shows how little they know. The one thing we did not have with Dooley was continuity in the coaching staff. You know the result. Evidently some don't bother to listen to each coach's regular interviews. Don't be criticizing our players and our coaches now!! Wait til the season is over. IT IS DETRIMENTAL TO OUR PROGRESSION! It is also annoying to "real" Volunteer fans.

I have to agree! I think the play calling was dead on, may have run JHurd more but the coaches gave some players a stage to step up not to point fingers but a few receivers had opportunities to make some huge plays and failed to help Worley. I don't believe there is another coaching staff that could have pulled off a competitive effort with this young of a team in the nation. I believe this year UT will UpseT some teams! Go Vols!

Armchair qbs have been complaining about play calling around here after every game lost by TN since Johnny Majors got here. It is what we do!

Well, sorry, but yer wrong.
Fans have surely been complaining about play calling since the first Tennessee club team got enough fans to complain. You are right, it's what fans do. So it had been going on for most of a century before Johnny Came Marching Home.

The jet sweep with Pig was so obvious, and has certainly been so nit-picked by film rooms across the SEC I don't think it should be in the game playbook. More of a trick play to use possibly a couple more times this year. It can work, but more often than not it gets stuffed for a loss. I don't like it and it didn't just kill the 1st drive, it took quite a bit of the wind out of our sails for several series.

I guess that every defensive scheme when 11 men do their job perfectly = no score. Paradox! :whistling:

Said it before and it fits here perfectly..,,,a family member who was a long time SEC defensive coordinator once told me football is about two things..,,spacing and creating mismatches..,,do everything perfectly and you haven't create space or mismatches and the chance to succeed is extremely low....

You know what? The Negavols actually are pissed because we didn't win the game. Watch Justin's interview in which he says over and over that they were right there but didn't execute or it would have been a 27-24 game. I'm sure Oklahoma had several plays they would like to have back especially going 3 for 12 on third down against our defense!

1. UTs staff, which is currently 7-8 through it's first 15 games as a member of the SEC, is not the best in the conference. That's a ridiculous statement. Bama, Georgia, LSU, Auburn, Texas A&M, Missouri, SCar, Ole Miss.... all much more proven staffs at a minimum.

2. Agree with the first 5-6 sentences, they're working hard, doing some good things and I agree that continuity with a good staff is important.

3. The rest of your post is drivel and makes no sense. Are you telling me that anyone who criticized Butch and the staff after last year's horrific Vandy loss or anybody who correctly questioned Coach Jake's decision to throw the ball on the goal line, a decision which btw he has openly acknowledged he'd like to have back, vs Oklahoma when we had a couple of downs to score..... are you really saying anyone who does this isn't a real fan? Seriously? Come on Drill, you're better than that.....aren't you?

Finally, as an Alumnus and a true UT fan of nearly 40 years, I promise you I can praise our team for playing their arses off and giving the #3/4 team in the country a fight, while at the same time saying that Jason Croom should've caught the pass from Worley in the end zone.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 people
I just wanted to post in this thread, so I could remember the sheer insanity of it.

Our staff the SEC's best? Really? Compared to staffs that have won SEC Championships? Compared to staffs that have won national championships? Compared to staffs that have taken over teams with dismal records and made immediate impacts with big jumps in wins? Compared to a staff at Alabama that took over a 6-7 team and won 12 games in their 2nd year? Compared to a staff at Ole Miss that took over a 2-10 team and won 8 games in their 2nd year (while also signing a top 5 recruiting class to a school with significantly less resources and tradition than ours)? Compared to a staff at Texas A&M that took over a 7-6 Big12 team and won 11 games entering the SEC, during their very first year?

Our's is the best? Based on what? Losing by 24 to Oklahoma?

Reactions: 6 people

VN Store

Back