The Weightlifters Thread

I'm some sort of bicep reject, cause I've never been able to do preacher curls. I try and try and try but never feel a burn in my biceps, just in my elbows and wrists.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

I hear this now and again so you're not the only one with this "problem". I don't know your routine for your arms, if you do arms alone on a certain day, etc... If you do have a separate day for arms maybe switch it up and hit the arms at the end of your back workout and see if you "feel" something. Maybe try a static hold with the last rep of each set (5-10 second hold on the negative). Just some suggestions if you haven't tried these.

I hear this now and again so you're not the only one with this "problem". I don't know your routine for your arms, if you do arms alone on a certain day, etc... If you do have a separate day for arms maybe switch it up and hit the arms at the end of your back workout and see if you "feel" something. Maybe try a static hold with the last rep of each set (5-10 second hold on the negative). Just some suggestions if you haven't tried these.

I do hammers, reverse grip pull ups, and lots of static. My arms are pretty ripped but I just can't do preachers, with dumb bells or a bar.

I have a question about biceps... I have a really difficult time getting my biceps to grow and I wanted to get some opinions on what bicep exercise are the best for growth....And is it better to train bi's and tri's together or to do back and bi's...TIA

I have a question about biceps... I have a really difficult time getting my biceps to grow and I wanted to get some opinions on what bicep exercise are the best for growth....And is it better to train bi's and tri's together or to do back and bi's...TIA

Static. Doesn't matter what else you train.

To put on size you have to focus on the barbell curl, IMO. I also love the incline dumbbell curl and, of course, the preacher curl. Those work best for me, but everyone is different. For size and growth I say focus on the basics. Shaping exercises aren't going to spark a lot of new size.

As far as what split to use, if you think that your overall arm size isn't where you want it, I would do an arm focused workout. I think that you have to continuously shake it up. If you have been pairing bi's with back for a long time, change it. Your body will likely respond to something different. I had a lot of success over the years supersetting bi's and tri's.

Had a great chest and back workout last night. I'm starting to regain some strength back after the extended layoff I took. I am a huge fan of Jack3d at this point.

This is a question for those of you taking preworkout supps. How long do you feel the effects after taking them? I've considered adding them to my routine, but I don't want to end up taking something that has me hyped up in class after working out or something. TIA.

This is a question for those of you taking preworkout supps. How long do you feel the effects after taking them? I've considered adding them to my routine, but I don't want to end up taking something that has me hyped up in class after working out or something. TIA.

@ 2 hrs for me.

About as long as the effects of caffeine, 90-120mins after they first kick in. Basically as long as a workout, so you should be energetic but calm, and pumped after a workout if you're doing it right.

My favorite.

I did a short, full body workout today. I've been too busy to get to the gym since Friday. I did extra squats today. It was extremely busy this morning. I was surprised I got the squat rack.

I rarely see people using the squat rack for actual squats in my gym.

I rarely see people using the squat rack for actual squats in my gym.

I see more people using the Smith machine for squats than the actual squat rack. Usually the rack is taken by someone doing a circuit of some sort involving shoulders.

I've ventured away from bb style splits so I don't really have a "leg" day. Squats are key for any leg workout.

My leg days are typically some mix of squats, lunges, extensions, curls, and calf exercises that suit my mood. I am 6'4" so squatting isn't always fun. That's a long way to move some weight.

The only think I probably do different from others typical leg workouts are Jefferson Squats and Front Squats which I do every other week. Also, IMO people don't do enough straight leg deadlifts.

SL deads are awesome. I don't do them much now, but I did a lot of them in the past. My hamstrings are a strong point for me and I have to use too much weight to feel them now. I'm getting older and more afraid of injury. I also like the Jefferson squat and its effective, but that's more of a glute exercise IMO.

Anybody recommend a good soy protein supplement? Whey jacks up my sinuses.

Goat milk protein. Some argue its the overall best protein available.

VN Store

Back