The Vols got completely destroyed by the refs and Shrek

Edey has been “fouled” 400 times. But only averages 2 fouls a game.

No 3 second violation.

He’s a cheat code. Purdue is lucky they have him because without him they’re doo doo.

Reactions: JCP201
Numbers also tell us we don’t have anyone on this team who can score reliably except Knecht. We better find someone for next year because right now we don’t have anybody.
And Purdue is a completely different team without Edey. What’s your point?

I was disappointed because I thought after playing them early this season I would see our staff do some of that coaching stuff and at least try a different approach knowing Aidoo was no match and Awaka too short. I didn't see anything different than the previous game. Painter came off his game plan after seeing our defense and just threw the ball inside on every play. Other than changing players I did not see any tactic change. UT could have doubled or tripled after the catch on occasion, fouled him before he shot instead of in the act, try to double and deny the ball. It got pretty bleak watching them just lob it to him for an easy layup over and over. I guess hope he misses was the plan??
I guess our plan was to hope the game might be called a little less egregiously than it was in maui. We nearly won there with a huge foul discrepancy, and came close tonight. If the game is called just a bit more evenly we're still dancing.

I was disappointed because I thought after playing them early this season I would see our staff do some of that coaching stuff and at least try a different approach knowing Aidoo was no match and Awaka too short. I didn't see anything different than the previous game. Painter came off his game plan after seeing our defense and just threw the ball inside on every play. Other than changing players I did not see any tactic change. UT could have doubled or tripled after the catch on occasion, fouled him before he shot instead of in the act, try to double and deny the ball. It got pretty bleak watching them just lob it to him for an easy layup over and over. I guess hope he misses was the plan??
I think Barnes and staff put in a plan after the first game to have Aidoo grow 5 inches and put on 30 pounds. Apparently, it didn't work. They also offered to pay the refs, but Purdue outbid them.

I guess our plan was to hope the game might be called a little less egregiously than it was in maui. We nearly won there with a huge foul discrepancy, and came close tonight. If the game is called just a bit more evenly we're still dancing.
So after he saw how they were calling it he still made no change. You have 3 choices in this situation, deny him the ball, push him off his spot or foul him immediately when he gets the ball on his spot. I think denying him the ball and fouling if you fail would be the best bet. You have 15 fouls to give, I don't know how many times he got easy baskets and many of them were 3 point plays. We should have given no easy baskets and made him shoot foul shots for all his points. I am curious to see how the next 2 teams handle him.

Reactions: 2EastTnVols
We were up 11 with 5 fouls each then the next 3 call were a Purdue with shots and boom the lead was gone

Reactions: papatomany
Numbers also tell us we don’t have anyone on this team who can score reliably except Knecht. We better find someone for next year because right now we don’t have anybody.
We went WAY too early to the "just hand it to Knecht" offense. James hit his only two threes and had a mid-range rattle out. Gainey played better in the last two games than he had all season and was 2-4 from the field.

just a question. In all the NCAA tournament games has anyone seen a 3 second called ?? Seemed Edey just camped out in lane till given the ball.

AND, when did we last see a 3 second call????
<https://twitter.com/CoachJimmyDykes
When Edey is allowed to be in the lane for 4,5,6,7,8,9 seconds… he is literally unguardable. It’s just a fact
16h
#Vols coach Rick Barnes on Zach Edey: He never leaves the paint. It's hard.
Depaul Coach: Chris Holtmann Says Three-Second Rule “Needs to Be Evaluated” After Matchup With Zach Edey and Purdue: “It’s Not a Rule That is Enforced”

So after he saw how they were calling it he still made no change. You have 3 choices in this situation, deny him the ball, push him off his spot or foul him immediately when he gets the ball on his spot. I think denying him the ball and fouling if you fail would be the best bet. You have 15 fouls to give, I don't know how many times he got easy baskets and many of them were 3 point plays. We should have given no easy baskets and made him shoot foul shots for all his points. I am curious to see how the next 2 teams handle him.
Problem is pushing off his spot was a foul. Impossible to deny a guy the ball that size when he's allowed to stand in the lane the entire shot clock. If you front him they throw over for an easy dunk or foul. Or both. Clingman will have some success because he will make edey work on the defensive end and is closer to his size, we just have to pray uconn takes care of bama. Sadly burns has no chance.

Reactions: Delmar
My point is that we didn’t lose because of the refs. We lost because we didn’t have another guy that could score double digits. He rest of the team only scored 29 points. It’s our own fault we lost.

Problem is pushing off his spot was a foul. Impossible to deny a guy the ball that size when he's allowed to stand in the lane the entire shot clock. If you front him they throw over for an easy dunk or foul. Or both. Clingman will have some success because he will make edey work on the defensive end and is closer to his size, we just have to pray uconn takes care of bama. Sadly burns has no chance.
Exactly right on the camping in the lane. Also can’t “deny” him the ball when he is allowed to shove or forearm shiver guys when the pass is in the air. I do think Klingan will give him some issues at 7-2 and fairly athletic.

Not sure what our couch coaches want Barnes to adjust to. The only adjustment was to play better perimeter defense on their 3 pt shooters and we did that. Hoyer didn’t kill us like he did in Maui. If Edey is allowed to play like that, he is going to get his points and rebounds and there is nothing you can do about it. You have to limit the other guys as best you can. But Edey was allowed to do what he wanted and he carried them. Simple as that combined with two of our starters having bad nights.

Yes, so the only remaining choice was to front him and if they can't intercept the pass, foul immediately. No 3 point plays, all points come from the line. He misses a lot more free throws than he does layups.

VN Store

Back