The Stretch Run Is Here

I agree that is a terribly poor (and loaded choice of words).

I am sure the poster will say there is no racial intent behind it but the reality is that the term "thug" is seldom applied to white players or white coaches.

Bill Laimbeer thanks you for your support.

I want Dawn Staley no where near the Lady Vols. I would as soon have the devil himself, Geno.
I want Holly to pull this off, but if not I like Nikki Fargus, Jeff Walz, or Robin Pingeton.

Reactions: 4 people
I like Cheryl Tiegs but that is just me. I still have a pinup of her hidden somewhere around the house. If i could just remember where.....

Reactions: 2 people
I agree that is a terribly poor (and loaded choice of words).

I am sure the poster will say there is no racial intent behind it but the reality is that the term "thug" is seldom applied to white players or white coaches.

FYI, the word "thug" originated to signify a group of Indian assassins, before it was borrowed by the British in the early 1800's and later used by British writers including Dickens, Collins, et al to mean street gangs and muggers. In America, it was also used to mean the associates, particularly enforcer types, of gangsters in the 1920's. It had no African-American connotations until it was appropriated by Tupac Shakur and other rappers in the 1990's. It's been used for a long time to describe enforcers in the NHL, the majority of whom are white. To assume that someone who uses the word meant to be racist is unwarranted. OTOH, it's probably best to avoid that particular hot button issue on this forum.

FYI, the word "thug" originated to signify a group of Indian assassins, before it was borrowed by the British in the early 1800's and later used by British writers including Dickens, Collins, et al to mean street gangs and muggers. In America, it was also used to mean the associates, particularly enforcer types, of gangsters in the 1920's. It had no African-American connotations until it was appropriated by Tupac Shakur and other rappers in the 1990's. It's been used for a long time to describe enforcers in the NHL, the majority of whom are white. To assume that someone who uses the word meant to be racist is unwarranted. OTOH, it's probably best to avoid that particular hot button issue on this forum.

Actually, I said the word has racist connotations not that the poster definitely intended to be racist and your story above only details part of the evolution of the term's meaning.

Hip-hop culture also adopted the word. When Tupac Shakur popularized the phrase “thug life” in the early 1990s, writes Michael Jeffries in Thug Life: Race, Gender, and the Meaning of Hip-Hop, “the concept of the thug underwent a...transformation, from signifying disgust, rebellion, and nihilism to evoking coolness and power.”

“The label was attached to black and brown people, impoverished people, living in urban communities, regardless of their behavior,” Jeffries tells Newsweek. “They adopted the word for subversive and oppositional reasons, and it found its way into the music.”

He adds, “It’s not a coincidence that the rise of this word in the public sphere coincided with the uptick in the punishment and hyper-incarceration of black and brown people living in late 20th century urban America

Too many people have invested in building up this city to allow thugs to tear it down. pic.twitter.com/bGjT5ru5cy
— Mayor Rawlings-Blake (@MayorSRB) April 28, 2015

In recent years, members of the black community have said thug is simply a politically correct replacement for racial slurs. In January 2014, for example, Seattle Seahawks cornerback Richard Sherman said during a press conference, “It seems like it’s the accepted way of calling somebody the N word nowadays.”

A Brief History of the Word ‘Thug’

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
So, if a black person is a thug you can't call them a thug because that would be racist?

No, that is not the topic of discussion at all. We are talking about Dawn Staley, not a random street criminal. I hope that distinction is one you can comprehend.

If you call the head women's basketball coach of South Carolina--who is also the national team coach---"a thug," well, that raises some questions.

For the record, Staley is a three-time Olympian and was elected to carry the United States flag at the opening ceremony of the 2004 Summer Olympics. In 2006, she received the distinguished alumni award from U of Virginia, from which she graduated with a degree in communications. She also founded the Dawn Staley Foundation which is aimed at giving inner-city at-risk youth training for their futures. So, does that background say "thug" to you?

You seem to be defending the original post by twisting the issue, so what is about Staley that you consider to justify this disparaging epithet?

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 people
No, that is not the topic of discussion at all. We are talking about Dawn Staley not a random street criminal. I hope that distinction is one you can comprehend.

If you call the head women's basketball coach of South Carolina--who is also the national team coach "a thug,"--that raises some questions.

I suspect you knew that...

No, that is not the topic of discussion at all. We are talking about Dawn Staley not a random street criminal. I hope that distinction is one you can comprehend.

If you call the head women's basketball coach of South Carolina--who is also the national team coach "a thug,"--that raises some questions.

I suspect you knew that...

We are glad you know her and she is not a thug(so you say) but that don't mean crap to everyone. Their opinion is theirs like yours is yours. National Champions and Olympic coach is irrelevant!

We are glad you know her and she is not a thug(so you say) but that don't mean crap to everyone. Their opinion is theirs like yours is yours. National Champions and Olympic coach is irrelevant!

For the record, Staley is a three-time Olympian and was elected to carry the United States flag at the opening ceremony of the 2004 Summer Olympics. In 2006, she received the distinguished alumni award from U of Virginia, from which she graduated with a degree in communications. She also founded the Dawn Staley Foundation which is aimed at giving inner-city at-risk youth training for their futures.

Opinions are revealing. So you are saying that there is a Klan of folks who believe that Dawn Staley is a "thug" regardless of her accomplishments. Say no more then....

Reactions: 5 people
In the context of basketball and not racial slurs, I would equate "thug" with an overly physical, marginally skilled, dirty player whose play consists of mauling the opposing team rather than using superior skills. I don't think Dawn Staley qualifies.

In the context of basketball and not racial slurs, I would equate "thug" with an overly physical, marginally skilled, dirty player whose play consists of mauling the opposing team rather than using superior skills. I don't think Dawn Staley qualifies.

And since the original post was discussing Staley as a "coach", then the "non-racial" usage does not really fit this scenario does it? The poster actually referred to her as a "thug leader." So how do you square that phrasing with the meaning of being " an overly physical, marginally skilled, dirty player."

Last edited:
For the record, Staley is a three-time Olympian and was elected to carry the United States flag at the opening ceremony of the 2004 Summer Olympics. In 2006, she received the distinguished alumni award from U of Virginia, from which she graduated with a degree in communications. She also founded the Dawn Staley Foundation which is aimed at giving inner-city at-risk youth training for their futures.

Opinions are revealing. So you are saying that there is a Klan of folks who believe that Dawn Staley is a "thug" regardless of her accomplishments. Say no more then....

You are the one using the racial word Klan, not me! I also have several Caucasian coaches who i would say are/were thug coaches and some other AA thug coaches so don't get your panties in your crack because of your love of DS!

Last edited:

Congratulations FrozenLVFan on accurate factually post.

I like Jeff Walls! He seems to be a good coach. I might change my mind before the end of season. I think we lose three more games.

I like Jeff Walls! He seems to be a good coach. I might change my mind before the end of season. I think we lose three more games.
blackv i think he is a good coach as well. Some on here will say that he tends to run some good talent off but i don't know that myself. I think 4 is a very strong possibility . He seems to be a good recruiter as well!:yes::yes:

Last edited:
blackv i think he is a good coach as well. Some on here will say that he tends to run some good talent off but i don't know that myself. I think 4 is a very strong possibility . He seems to be a good recruiter as well!:yes::yes:

I despise Walz, he’s a thug!

I agree with this and that said, I would call that Mizzouri team that literally mauled SC a few weeks ago a bunch of thugs. I would have had a much worse reaction than Dawn did! LOL

I am not looking forward to the Lady Vols playing that bunch of Mizzouri thugs at all! 😔

Reactions: 5 people
I agree with this and that said, I would call that Mizzouri team that literally mauled SC a few weeks ago a bunch of thugs. I would have had a much worse reaction than Dawn did! LOL

I am not looking forward to the Lady Vols playing that bunch of Mizzouri thugs at all! 😔

I'm pretty sure the mostly white Mizzou team has been referred to as thugs here and on other boards because of their rough style of play. I know Sophie Cunningham has been referred as such here.

Calling Staley a thug leader would be more a reflection of a coach that encourages such type of play than someone who you fear will Rob and rape you at gunpoint. For the record, I agree with neither assertion of Dawn.

I want Dawn Staley no where near the Lady Vols. I would as soon have the devil himself, Geno.
I want Holly to pull this off, but if not I like Nikki Fargus, Jeff Walz, or Robin Pingeton.

I like all these options except Robin Pingeton , keep her over in Mizzou . We dont need that type of coach in knoxville .

VN Store

Back