The Sissy-fication of the NFL

It's not just the NFL level, the studies are showing even playing high school football can have negative long term effects.

So what should be done? Ban football altogether? Just play flag? Football players will always get injured, you can't legislate it out and still have tackle football.

So what should be done? Ban football altogether? Just play flag? Football players will always get injured, you can't legislate it out and still have tackle football.

I didn't say anything "should" be done, but I think players should have the full story on what they are getting into. It's not as simple as you're making it out to be that "everyone" should know they could get hurt. Plus there's a HUGE difference in knowing you could break a bone and knowing you could be screwing your brain up for later in life.

Yeah I knew football was rough, but when I was playing junior high and high school, I was never told that repeated hits to my head might make my life suck at in my 40s. And if I had brought that up back then, I would have been called a p###y and told to suck it up.

Perhaps my initial comment needed to be clarified. I'm all for making the game safer; better equipment, stronger penalties for unnecessary roughness,improved medical care, and mandatory "x" number of weeks on the IR list post concussion etc. What I don't like is the addition of rules that make it an uneven playing field. Example: Demarcus Ware rushed around the end, momentum forcing him to fall forward. Before he hits the ground he lunges forward and hits Alex Smith in the legs. Roughing the passer, 15 yards. There are numerous examples of the league turning a natural football play, with no malicious intent, and penalizing the effort.

I never intended for this to be a "Curent players are pansies...I'm much tougher than them" thread. That was not the point. I'd just like to see the game return to a pure form without the additional rules.

Lastly, I'm not sure I totally buy the argument that these players were never made fully aware of the risk. You don't have to understand the vast details of the medical implications to realize it is dangerous. That's like every smoker who sues Phillip Morris saying they didn't know smoking would kill you. Deep down....you know this is a gamble.

Reactions: 1 person
You honestly do not think these guys do not know what they are getting themselves into? As if the inherent danger of running full speed into another human being and getting hurt is a new concept? If they don't realize that before they step on the field than any potential damage is a non event...there is nothing there to damage in the first place.

I have no issue with penalties for legitimite unnecessary roughness, but in every game I've seen the past few years they throw a flag for any and every type of "aggressive" play. What sport are we playing?

Actually, player knowledge on concussions as a whole has been very limited in recent years due to limited research. So, yes players know what they signed up for in terms of the violent nature of the game, but many players are still unaware of the long term effects as studies are still on going.

Football will never be played like it was 10, 20, or 30 years ago. Those days are long gone and they aren't coming back.

Last edited:
Actually, player knowledge on concussions as a whole has been very limited in recent years due to limited research. So, yes players know what they signed up for in terms of the violent nature of the game, but many players are still unaware of the long term affects as studies are still on going.

Football will never be played like it was 10, 20, or 30 years ago. Those days are long gone and they aren't coming back.

Exactly. Comparing it to smoking now doesn't fly, because we've known for 40 years now that smoking is bad for you. You can play the "shouldn't take a genius" card all you want, but prior to that, doctors would actually tell patients it wasn't bad for them.

In 40 years if someone says "Man I didn't know playing football could mess up my brain", then yeah, you can chastise them.

I think you guys make very valid points and I appreciate the back and forth. Again, I'm all for making the game safer where it makes sense. I just believe some of these recent rule changes/amendments take it too far. To the point of taking away from the competitive aspect of the game.

Football has always been a evolving sport as far as rules go. I credit the League for revisiting the rules every year unlike other sports such as baseball. I'm not exactly sure what this "pure" form you speak of is.

I will agree I get annoyed when refs throw flags over ticky tacky ish. But honestly, if they are consistent with the calls throughout the game then it's really a wash.

This is frustratingly becoming a league I do not care to watch. The hypersensitivity surrounding player safety has completely castrated the league of any resemblance to its former self. QBs might as well be off limits for contact, the legal "hit zone" is akin to a baseball strike zone, and don't even think about hitting someone before they see you coming and you have an opportunity to discuss it before hand. God forbid he is deemed defenseless!!

I don't want to see people get hurt. I really don't, but that is an inherent risk you take when you step on the field. They are handsomely paid for the risk. To eliminate the savage nature of the sport is to strip it of everything that is pure.

Bring back my father's NFL.

Not going to happen... It have become a video game with real players

I guess you missed the point. DBs in college are at least allowed to play the receivers. The game seems to mean more to college players than NFL, most of them are just looking for the next big pay day

Yeah and why do you go to work everyday? For love of your job?

Perhaps my initial comment needed to be clarified. I'm all for making the game safer; better equipment, stronger penalties for unnecessary roughness,improved medical care, and mandatory "x" number of weeks on the IR list post concussion etc. What I don't like is the addition of rules that make it an uneven playing field. Example: Demarcus Ware rushed around the end, momentum forcing him to fall forward. Before he hits the ground he lunges forward and hits Alex Smith in the legs. Roughing the passer, 15 yards. There are numerous examples of the league turning a natural football play, with no malicious intent, and penalizing the effort.

I never intended for this to be a "Curent players are pansies...I'm much tougher than them" thread. That was not the point. I'd just like to see the game return to a pure form without the additional rules.

Lastly, I'm not sure I totally buy the argument that these players were never made fully aware of the risk. You don't have to understand the vast details of the medical implications to realize it is dangerous. That's like every smoker who sues Phillip Morris saying they didn't know smoking would kill you. Deep down....you know this is a gamble.

That's never going to happen nor should it. I'm willing to err on the side of caution for a couple questionable calls a game. On that low hit rule you were talking about, Tom Brady had his ACL torn on a play just like that. I'd rather Tom Brady play football because he's a joy to watch. The more better QB's in football the more fun and entertaining the game is. I'm fine with protecting those assets. The game is never going back to the way it was and I'm fine with that.

To the issue of players not knowing. Junior Seau played twenty years and 268 NFL games at freaking LB. With more awareness about concussions and the NFL not trying to conceal it, maybe Seau retires five years earlier knowing about what more hits could do to his brain. Same with Mike Webster. He played 17 years. Maybe with more knowledge that goes to 10 years. Maybe Dave Duerson retires after 1989 instead of playing four more years.

Chris Boreland and Patrick Willis both retired, knowing the risks of CTE. It's going to happen more in my opinion with guys knowing the risk. Yes these guys knew some form of risk but to say these guys knew they would be committing suicide in their 40's and 50's because their brains were so ****ed up is just incorrect thinking.

To the issue of players not knowing. Junior Seau played twenty years and 268 NFL games at freaking LB. With more awareness about concussions and the NFL not trying to conceal it, maybe Seau retires five years earlier knowing about what more hits could do to his brain. Same with Mike Webster. He played 17 years. Maybe with more knowledge that goes to 10 years. Maybe Dave Duerson retires after 1989 instead of playing four more years.

Chris Boreland and Patrick Willis both retired, knowing the risks of CTE. It's going to happen more in my opinion with guys knowing the risk. Yes these guys knew some form of risk but to say these guys knew they would be committing suicide in their 40's and 50's because their brains were so ****ed up is just incorrect thinking.

and what's sad is that some people will lambaste those who put mental health over the game

It's definitely going to keep happening, and more and more of the better athletes are going to not even play football to begin with. I mean you have several prominent former NFL players stating they won't let their kids play or at least won't let them until they are old enough to decide for themselves.

Disagree, most college guys won't make the NFL and most are aware this is the end of their football lives and it's the pure love for the game.

Take away their free ride to school and see how many stick around for the "pure love for the game".

Also, based on everything you've stated, seems like your favorite football should be NCAA Division II. I mean if it's really all about the "pure love of the game", those guys play in front of 1K fans a week and get no scholarships and definitely have no shot at a future in the NFL. But something tells me that's not what you're watching each week.

Take away their free ride to school and see how many stick around for the "pure love for the game".

Also, based on everything you've stated, seems like your favorite football should be NCAA Division II. I mean if it's really all about the "pure love of the game", those guys play in front of 1K fans a week and get no scholarships and definitely have no shot at a future in the NFL. But something tells me that's not what you're watching each week.

it's why his favorite players are the Sullins twins and Nick Reveiz and post-DUIs Britton

Sissyfication like when a dude takes another dudes head and slams it into his helmet long after the play is dead?

Or sissyfication like what amounts to gang fights on field during the game?

Just curious.

A year of brain damage, in review
[twitterv]https://twitter.com/joshbegley/status/959018523098890240[/twitterv]

VN Store

Back