The Sissy-fication of the NFL

I would not agree.....they are calling the game according to the newer rules, doing their jobs. They actually missed an obvious spearing/helmet to helmet in the Eagles/Falcons game this past Monday night.......if they were overboard, I would think they would have called that blatant example of helmet to helmet.....the league actually fined the guy, but there wasnt a flag thrown.

I have seen refs pick up players many, many, many times. People just pick out one occurrence of it being a QB picked up and assert that they only care about QBs. I see it differently obviously.

I like the idea of the game being safer, I don't like for example in yesterday game when Miller ran into to Smith on a false start it was a personal foul or on a punt return the guy got blocked on his side and that was a personal foul. One game on Saturday can't recall which one a DB simply put his hand on the receivers should no pull or push and that drew a DPI. Dez Bryant catch in the Green Bay last seasons playoff game, do we really need so many details on what is/is not a catch?

Lol what? You complain about the NFL being sissy and then you want to go watch Baylor throw 70 times from a spread every game?

Not to mention it's not like the protection rules are that much better. QBs are about as protected in CFB as they are in the NFL.

I like the idea of the game being safer, I don't like for example in yesterday game when Miller ran into to Smith on a false start it was a personal foul or on a punt return the guy got blocked on his side and that was a personal foul. One game on Saturday can't recall which one a DB simply put his hand on the receivers should no pull or push and that drew a DPI. Dez Bryant catch in the Green Bay last seasons playoff game, do we really need so many details on what is/is not a catch?

He "ran into" Smith? Come on, that's being disingenuous at best. That would have been a flag a decade ago and he didnt just "run into" Smith.

I'd rather people don't die for my entertainment. And worse, those who die aren't always the people who play, but instead, sometimes, those close to them.

You honestly do not think these guys do not know what they are getting themselves into? As if the inherent danger of running full speed into another human being and getting hurt is a new concept? If they don't realize that before they step on the field than any potential damage is a non event...there is nothing there to damage in the first place.

I have no issue with penalties for legitimite unnecessary roughness, but in every game I've seen the past few years they throw a flag for any and every type of "aggressive" play. What sport are we playing?

I don't. Concussions have been known to be as bad as they truly are for only a short time. Players who have been in the NFL for more than a couple years grew up in a time where concussions were bad, but not an end-of-life consequence. These men spent their entire lives working toward that goal without properly being made aware of those consequences. So now you have people who are already done with school, mostly haven't received degrees that prepare them for careers that aren't football, and are in the middle of contracts. It's not as easy as you'd like to admit for them to just walk away. They're finally learning how bad it can be, but suddenly having to weigh those consequences against all these real world issues. Are they academically prepared for a job? What do they lose from breaching their contracts? How much do their families need for them to make the money they're making?

Agree they are protected by the league, but also by refs did you see when Peyton got knocked down last night the head ref ran over to help him up. These are grown men fully padded they know the risks. Would you not agree a lot of the calls/rules are way overboard?

Was a flag thrown? I saw several sacks/hits on both QBs last night. They can still be touched.

And the ratings of NFL games just keeps going up. Not everyone wants to see guys get blown up and knocked out of the games.

wasn't a catch

I don't. Concussions have been known to be as bad as they truly are for only a short time. Players who have been in the NFL for more than a couple years grew up in a time where concussions were bad, but not an end-of-life consequence. These men spent their entire lives working toward that goal without properly being made aware of those consequences. So now you have people who are already done with school, mostly haven't received degrees that prepare them for careers that aren't football, and are in the middle of contracts. It's not as easy as you'd like to admit for them to just walk away. They're finally learning how bad it can be, but suddenly having to weigh those consequences against all these real world issues. Are they academically prepared for a job? What do they lose from breaching their contracts? How much do their families need for them to make the money they're making?

Exactly. I don't think players know exactly what they are signing up for. Sure they know the game is rough, but science is just now figuring out how bad concussions and repeated hits to the head are.

Was a flag thrown? I saw several sacks/hits on both QBs last night. They can still be touched.

And the ratings of NFL games just keeps going up. Not everyone wants to see guys get blown up and knocked out of the games.

Who the hell said we want to see players get knocked out of games? You guys are taking this to the most extreme level.

Exactly. I don't think players know exactly what they are signing up for. Sure they know the game is rough, but science is just now figuring out how bad concussions and repeated hits to the head are.

If they need science to tell them getting him by a guy who weighs 280 pounds and runs a 4.4 is not good for their long term health then they probably aren't very bright in the first place.

Lol what? You complain about the NFL being sissy and then you want to go watch Baylor throw 70 times from a spread every game?

I guess you missed the point. DBs in college are at least allowed to play the receivers. The game seems to mean more to college players than NFL, most of them are just looking for the next big pay day

If they need science to tell them getting him by a guy who weighs 280 pounds and runs a 4.4 is not good for their long term health then they probably aren't very bright in the first place.

It's not just the NFL level, the studies are showing even playing high school football can have negative long term effects.

I guess you missed the point. DBs in college are at least allowed to play the receivers. The game seems to mean more to college players than NFL, most of them are just looking for the next big pay day

"Seems to mean more"...lol.

I can make the same argument that the best college players are merely looking to their future payday in the NFL.

Most of them are trying to keep their jobs. The people that say NFL players don't try are the same idiots that say there's no defense in the NBA.

Reactions: 1 person

VN Store

Back