The Runner's thread

To be honest, the shin splints are a lot more from basketball than they are from running. Running just exacerbates them. And I really don't have them yet, but every time I mix basketball, lifting and running, I get them. And I can feel them coming.

I suppose rest would help, but rest is not an option. :matrix:

Constructive post.

I just bought new shoes and I'm not a serious enough runner to buy $100 running shoes. Dr. Scholls says he can fix my shin splints on TV.

Rest ice stretching. change your stride. don't run on sidewalks.

if you're not willing to invest in a good pair of shoes don't run. You can find great shoes discounted heavily on The Clymb.

Reactions: 1 person
To be honest, the shin splints are a lot more from basketball than they are from running. Running just exacerbates them. And I really don't have them yet, but every time I mix basketball, lifting and running, I get them. And I can feel them coming.

I suppose rest would help, but rest is not an option. :matrix:

New basketball shoes. I used to get them playing basketball years ago. I switched styles and they went away.

In fleet feet the other day, the salesman recommended some inserts called superfeet for someone asking about shin splints.

Rest ice stretching. change your stride. don't run on sidewalks.

if you're not willing to invest in a good pair of shoes don't run. You can find great shoes discounted heavily on The Clymb.

Best advice you'll ever hear concerning shoes. Wrong shoes=pain and very possibly injury.

The new shoes I referenced are new basketball shoes. They're a lot more supportive and I think they will help with a number of problems, but I don't know if they will help with shin splints.

if you're not willing to invest in a good pair of shoes don't run.

K, guess I just wont run then, tri. Thanks for your help. God forbid someone try to do something as simple as running without investing in $100 worth of equipment first.

K, guess I just wont run then, tri. Thanks for your help. God forbid someone try to do something as simple as running without investing in $100 worth of equipment first.
You solicited advice and act all whatever when it wasn't what you wanted to hear?

Last edited:
Just wasn't in the mood to receive uppity attitude. I already said that I wasn't going to spend $100+ on new running shoes, so what I received wasn't "advice." It was just attitude.

I checked out the Clymb. Thanks for the suggestion, but everything on there is either sold out, only available in sizes 7 and 14, or is marked down from $8.5B to $75+.

I may try running in my bball shoes until I can afford another brand new pair of shoes. They are supportive and have the padded heel, but they are way too rigid to be running shoes.

Just wasn't in the mood to receive uppity attitude. I already said that I wasn't going to spend $100+ on new running shoes, so what I received wasn't "advice." It was just attitude.

I checked out the Clymb. Thanks for the suggestion, but everything on there is either sold out, only available in sizes 7 and 14, or is marked down from $8.5B to $75+.

I may try running in my bball shoes until I can afford another brand new pair of shoes. They are supportive and have the padded heel, but they are way too rigid to be running shoes.

Another couple of sites to check out are roadrunner.com and Left Lane sports.... I think you have to sign up as a member at LLS but they have some incredible deals sometimes.... IIRC, first time buyers at roadrunner can get a pretty decent markdown also....

If there is a sporting goods store in your area (lord knows ther ought to be... They seem to be everywhere...) i have gotten some really good buys there also without having to wait/pay shipping charges off the 'net.

Last edited:
I swear I just posted and it's not here...

I assume you're talking about roadrunnersports.com

How can I get a first time buyer discount? Most of their markdowns seem pretty minimal. In the 10% range.

Is the Nike Air Pegasus a good shoe? It looks like 29 is the most recent one, and I've found some decent prices on the 28. That's how I got my basketball shoes so cheap. I bought last years colors lol. Same shoes, I imagine, other than some minimal feature that isn't worth the extra $50 to me.

I swear I just posted and it's not here...

I assume you're talking about roadrunnersports.com

How can I get a first time buyer discount? Most of their markdowns seem pretty minimal. In the 10% range.

Is the Nike Air Pegasus a good shoe? It looks like 29 is the most recent one, and I've found some decent prices on the 28. That's how I got my basketball shoes so cheap. I bought last years colors lol. Same shoes, I imagine, other than some minimal feature that isn't worth the extra $50 to me.

I had the air Peg 26's and they were (with the exception of the zoom vomero 4's) the best running shoe I ever wore. I usually don't go for the latest greatest either and look for last year's shoes to go on sale.

It's been so long that I bought anything from roadrunner that i may either be mistaken about their discount or they may have even discontinued it....

Edit... I just checked out the site. You gotta join the "VIP club". I remember now because I called to get out of it when I found out that I neglected to notice the $25.00 yearly charge to be a member.... Their prices aren't that great now either, I see....

Last edited:
I didn't see anything, but thanks for the link. I'll keep looking. I like the look of that shoe in several colors, but it seems hard to find old shoes online.

The cheapest I've found the 29's for is about $80-90, and I'm not paying that. I've found the 28's for about $60, but no free shipping and not in my size, etc.

I can't believe I'm about to suggest this but have you looked on eBay? Sometimes you can find out of production shoes at super low prices (I bought my last pair of Aur Peg 26's for $35.00 unused). Normally I absolutely LOATHE eBay and won't do business there but as a last resort fir something I really want I'll check 'em out. Sometimes I get lucky, most times not....

If you haven't checked 'em out try Left Lane sports.... Signup is free and if they have your size you can save a ton. I bought a pair of Vasque hiking boots (and some Salomon trail shoes, normally $140.00....) and paid $75.00 total for both pair.

I logged on to my LLS account and snapped this screenshot.... They didn't have any NIkes but they did have these and several ither brands, inckuding some SWEET orange and white Puma's!!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 0
As a matter of fact, I have checked eBay. The problem I have with shoes on eBay is NOBODY lists the size in the auction title, so I have to click 100 different auctions to find my size. Also, they only have all the colors I don't like. I don't care too much about color, but the Pegasus has several truly hideous color schemes, IMO.

And oddly enough, the prices for this shoe on eBay are higher than anywhere else. :dunno:

I think I'll take your advice and try Dick's after work. They have the 29's on clearance on their website for as cheap as I've found them online. They have some pretty awesome colors, too. :rolleyes:

pDSP1-13474471p275w.jpg

pDSP1-13413432p275w.jpg

No 28's on the website, of course, but maybe they have some older models on turbo clearance in-store.

Any Nike fans know what "Shield" and "GTX" signify? It sounds like Shield is water resistant and insulated for cold weather and GTX is fully water proof?

Last edited:
Thrasher, can I ask why you're so set on Nike? They don't make great running shoes outside of one or two pairs as far as I've heard.

Thrasher, can I ask why you're so set on Nike? They don't make great running shoes outside of one or two pairs as far as I've heard.

Not speaking for Thrash but for me, the Nike+ capabilty for iPod was the hook that made me look until I found some Nikes that worked for me....

Ordered the Air Pegasus 29 from Dick's. Should've tried on more brands while I was there, but I went over lunch. If I find something else by the time these arrive, I can return them to the store for free.

pDSP1-12701945p275w.jpg

Not speaking for Thrash but for me, the Nike+ capabilty for iPod was the hook that made me look until I found some Nikes that worked for me....

They make a shoelace adapter you can buy for $5 so you can use the capability with any shoe. I use the pod with all my running shoes

What advantage is there to using the Nike+ sensor over just using the Nike+ running app without the sensor? I'm struggling to find one. So either there isn't one, or Nike+ has a terrible marketing department.

VN Store

Back