the religion of peace

This is true. But why do they hate each other?

From what I've read, in the 1500's the Turkish Ottoman empire (Muslims) raided villages and kidnapped Christians for slaves and the forced children to become soldiers and convert to Islam. As the Bosniaks grew in numbers they used cruel tactics to force Serbians to convert to Islam. They've resented their tactics for hundreds of years.

That's one of those unanswerable questions.

P.S.-Oh, I'll answer that like my wife would-because they do.

The McCoys were unionists on the Kentucky side. The Hatfields were secessionists on the West Virginia side.

In other words, they hated one another because of what each side stood for. They didn't look at each other as individuals; rather, they looked at one another as representatives of fundamentally different values and ways of life. One was on the side of God, while the other wasn't.

And such is the way of the Serbs.

Hoggy is a little frisky tonight, he must be in hog heat.:)

If you boil all the causes of war down it comes to power and money. Why do guys crave power and money? Those with it get the bestest and mostest.

If you boil all the causes of war down it comes to power and money. Why do guys crave power and money? Those with it get the bestest and mostest.

A wise man once told me all men's actions are based upon two colors-pink and green. I won't translate that for anyone.

No. My argument is that the whole of the Bible is Applicable to our Religion. You even said yourself that Jesus taught "Love your neighbor" which is one of the Ten Commandments. Sure there's some in there that became outdated like the whole Kosher thing, but the Old testament is no less viable doctrine than the new.

Oh and Tithing, along with Smart investing are both Biblical Concepts. :thumbsup:
All scripture is useful but all scripture is not applicable. Tithing is part of the OT covenant and has NOTHING to do with money. It is not applicable today. Old wine in new wine skins.

The old is inferior. Hebrews 8:6
There are areas of the old that are universally true. Do not murder, for example. And then there are parts that are prescriptive such as don't mix fabrics. The reason you shouldn't steal isn't because it is written in the bible. It was wrong to steal before anything was ever written down.

Lev 19:18

Here's the deal.

A lot of the laws were specifically to do with Israel's theocracy and sacrificial system. The book of Hebrews spends a lot of time telling the Christian not to try to return to that. Because of Christ, that sacrificial system is no longer valid. It was a type pointing forward to Christ, and He fulfilled it.

(By the way... One should research the tithe, who it was given to and why... It was specifically stated that it was given to Israel to support priests because they got no share in the land. Paul ignored it when he taught Christian giving, which is specifically not to be a matter of compulsion but instead a matter of the heart, and was to be as much as the Holy Spirit tells one to give--not a predefined amount. The church is not Israel, there are no priests, and a Christian should give as a matter of heartfelt worship. I say this as a pastor. lol)

A lot of the law was an ethical treatise which carries over. The problem was that Israel had interpreted these parts as something that made them righteous, and used them as an outer show to gain religious glory.

Jesus pointed out that we are in desperate need of His righteousness. That ethic is completely fulfilled by loving God and loving everyone else.

For instance, Israel had interpreted the law "an eye for an eye..." as a guarantee of vengeance--to get your pound of flesh. But it was given out of love and protection to ensure against vengeance--to ensure that the punishment would not be overly severe.

Instead, to fulfill the law turn the other cheek.

Israel thought they could be holy by keeping the law as external actions. Jesus said no one can keep the law without a redeemed heart and the actions of the Holy Spirit within. So, the law is alive and well as an ethic that Christ seeks to live out through love in His followers.

It's an oxymoron. Fulfill the law through love for God and others, not by trying to keep the law. It's something that happens on the inside, not something you do on the outside.

So, to return also to the tithe--you keep it's 'spirit' by loving God, not by legalistically counting percentages as if God is a waiter and you're giving him a tip.

Sorry for the length.

Great post. I was too busy farting around in skyrim last night to read.

Reactions: 1 person

VN Store

Back