the religion of peace

Yes, but that's not what I was getting out of what Sand was saying. I'll leave the Theological Arguments to you. :D I only got that "liberal" Carson-Newman Old and New Testament Classes to back me up (on a side note you wouldn't believe how many times I heard people in the church I grew up in call CN a "liberal" school. Turned it it was because the science classes teach evolution and they encourage you to find your own answers...sigh...rant over.)

Oh, please don't misunderstand. I'm in agreement. I just think it's a thin line that is easy to misinterpret, and important for Christians to understand (many don't).

:good!:

Reactions: 1 person
No. My argument is that the whole of the Bible is Applicable to our Religion. You even said yourself that Jesus taught "Love your neighbor" which is one of the Ten Commandments. Sure there's some in there that became outdated like the whole Kosher thing, but the Old testament is no less viable doctrine than the new.

Oh and Tithing, along with Smart investing are both Biblical Concepts. :thumbsup:

Yes I understand that the Old Testament is still used in the Christian faith for teaching. But, you can't deny that Jesus' message was a lot different than the Sanhedrin and the minutia and main message of the Old Testament. And, when we talk about fulfilling the Old Testament we're talking about Isaiah Chapter 53. And, I don't know what commandment you're talking about. God said don't covet your neighbors' wife or property, etc. But, it didn't say love your neighbor, and there was no commandment that said love your enemy and turn the other cheek. And, the Old Testament didn't talk about blessed are the poor and the peacemakers and the merciful. Those were all New Testament-transformation.

Last edited:
A paradise with 72 virgins sounds pretty good to a poor uneducated guy living in squaller.

Yah, but with eternity to spend, they won't be 72 virgins for long. You'll spend forever with 72 bored women with little more to do than nag you and complain that you don't take them anywhere. I wonder if there'll be suicide bombers in Muslim heaven... :)

Yes I understand that the Old Testament is still used in the Christian faith for teaching. But, you can't deny that Jesus' message was a lot different than the Sanhedrin and the minutia and main message of the Old Testament. And, when we talk about fulfilling the Old Testament we're talking about Isaiah Chapter 53. And, I don't know what commandment you're talking about. God said don't covet your neighbors' wife or property, etc. But, it didn't say love your neighbor, and there was no commandment that said love your enemy and turn the other cheek. And, the Old Testament didn't talk about blessed are the poor and the peacemakers and the merciful. Those were all New Testament-transformation.

Gave you a like.

I admit I fumbled on the love thy neighbor thing. I was thinking of when Jesus addressed the Pharisees and said the greatest commandment was to Love the Lord with all your heart soul and mind and the second is like unto it; Love your neighbor as yourself.

Jesus' Message was radical for the time and rocked the very establishment. There's no doubt about it. He is the beginning of grace

Gave you a like.

I admit I fumbled on the love thy neighbor thing. I was thinking of when Jesus addressed the Pharisees and said the greatest commandment was to Love the Lord with all your heart soul and mind and the second is like unto it; Love your neighbor as yourself.

Jesus' Message was radical for the time and rocked the very establishment. There's no doubt about it. He is the beginning of grace

But, still even if you took the Old Testament as a stand alone book on its own merit, and it still is the holy book of the Jewish faith, there is nothing hateful about the Old Testament. It just espouses a different form of justice. For someone to try to compare the Quran and the Old Testament and say they are similar in their theme is ignorant and pure crap.

Just this year, Christians in the CAR massacred some Muslims.

To your point though, yes, the atrocities tend to be much more one-sided on the side of Islam here the last 100 years or so.

Oh, and I didn't even think about the Serbs in the 1990s. Massacring thousands of Muslim men at Srebenica will wake you up in the morning.

The Serbs and Bosniaks have been at each other's throats for centuries. While the Serb's actions were despicable, they were not doing it for religious reasons. They simply hate each other.

Yes I understand that the Old Testament is still used in the Christian faith for teaching. But, you can't deny that Jesus' message was a lot different than the Sanhedrin and the minutia and main message of the Old Testament. And, when we talk about fulfilling the Old Testament we're talking about Isaiah Chapter 53. And, I don't know what commandment you're talking about. God said don't covet your neighbors' wife or property, etc. But, he didn't say love your neighbor.

Lev 19:18

Here's the deal.

A lot of the laws were specifically to do with Israel's theocracy and sacrificial system. The book of Hebrews spends a lot of time telling the Christian not to try to return to that. Because of Christ, that sacrificial system is no longer valid. It was a type pointing forward to Christ, and He fulfilled it.

(By the way... One should research the tithe, who it was given to and why... It was specifically stated that it was given to Israel to support priests because they got no share in the land. Paul ignored it when he taught Christian giving, which is specifically not to be a matter of compulsion but instead a matter of the heart, and was to be as much as the Holy Spirit tells one to give--not a predefined amount. The church is not Israel, there are no priests, and a Christian should give as a matter of heartfelt worship. I say this as a pastor. lol)

A lot of the law was an ethical treatise which carries over. The problem was that Israel had interpreted these parts as something that made them righteous, and used them as an outer show to gain religious glory.

Jesus pointed out that we are in desperate need of His righteousness. That ethic is completely fulfilled by loving God and loving everyone else.

For instance, Israel had interpreted the law "an eye for an eye..." as a guarantee of vengeance--to get your pound of flesh. But it was given out of love and protection to ensure against vengeance--to ensure that the punishment would not be overly severe.

Instead, to fulfill the law turn the other cheek.

Israel thought they could be holy by keeping the law as external actions. Jesus said no one can keep the law without a redeemed heart and the actions of the Holy Spirit within. So, the law is alive and well as an ethic that Christ seeks to live out through love in His followers.

It's an oxymoron. Fulfill the law through love for God and others, not by trying to keep the law. It's something that happens on the inside, not something you do on the outside.

So, to return also to the tithe--you keep it's 'spirit' by loving God, not by legalistically counting percentages as if God is a waiter and you're giving him a tip.

Sorry for the length.

Coach Grizz says there is nothing wrong with fat ugly women, they try harder. Of course he doesn't cull anything that hasn't been dead for a few hours. :crazy:

Culling puzzy is a sin.

Lev 19:18

Here's the deal.

A lot of the laws were specifically to do with Israel's theocracy and sacrificial system. The book of Hebrews spends a lot of time telling the Christian not to try to return to that. Because of Christ, that sacrificial system is no longer valid. It was a type pointing forward to Christ, and He fulfilled it.

(By the way... One should research the tithe, who it was given to and why... It was specifically stated that it was given to Israel to support priests because they got no share in the land. Paul ignored it when he taught Christian giving, which is specifically not to be a matter of compulsion but instead a matter of the heart, and was to be as much as the Holy Spirit tells one to give--not a predefined amount. The church is not Israel, there are no priests, and a Christian should give as a matter of heartfelt worship. I say this as a pastor. lol)

A lot of the law was an ethical treatise which carries over. The problem was that Israel had interpreted these parts as something that made them righteous, and used them as an outer show to gain religious glory.

Jesus pointed out that we are in desperate need of His righteousness. That ethic is completely fulfilled by loving God and loving everyone else.

For instance, Israel had interpreted the law "an eye for an eye..." as a guarantee of vengeance--to get your pound of flesh. But it was given out of love and protection to ensure against vengeance--to ensure that the punishment would not be overly severe.

Instead, to fulfill the law turn the other cheek.

Israel thought they could be holy by keeping the law as external actions. Jesus said no one can keep the law without a redeemed heart and the actions of the Holy Spirit within. So, the law is alive and well as an ethic that Christ seeks to live out through love in His followers.

It's an oxymoron. Fulfill the law through love for God and others, not by trying to keep the law. It's something that happens on the inside, not something you do on the outside.

So, to return also to the tithe--you keep it's 'spirit' by loving God, not by legalistically counting percentages as if God is a waiter and you're giving him a tip.

Sorry for the length.

Good explanation. I haven't studied the Bible in many years. I'm more of a deistic Christian and not a theistic Christian so I'm very rusty.

Good explanation. I haven't studied the Bible in many years. I'm more of a deistic Christian and not a theistic Christian so I'm very rusty.

What an oxymoron? Not trying to be disrespectful; I'm seriously curious. Deism is the belief that God created everything then ignored us after the fact. Christianity believes God loves us so much He sent His son to live among us, teach us, die for us, and will come again for us.

They don't seem to mix well.

:hi:

Orange Crush, I enjoy reading your postings concerning the Bible.
I wish we could have a thread just for Bible discussion and it not get hijacked.

The Serbs and Bosniaks have been at each other's throats for centuries. While the Serb's actions were despicable, they were not doing it for religious reasons. They simply hate each other.

This is true. But why do they hate each other?

Coach Grizz says there is nothing wrong with fat ugly women, they try harder. Of course he doesn't cull anything that hasn't been dead for a few hours. :crazy:

Personally, I'd rather have a pretty fat woman. Ugly and fat are too much.

Orange Crush, I enjoy reading your postings concerning the Bible.
I wish we could have a thread just for Bible discussion and it not get hijacked.

Thanks gramps. Yours as well.

That would be nice, but unlikely. lol

What an oxymoron? Not trying to be disrespectful; I'm seriously curious. Deism is the belief that God created everything then ignored us after the fact. Christianity believes God loves us so much He sent His son to live among us, teach us, die for us, and will come again for us.

They don't seem to mix well.

:hi:

Oh Geez I knew I'd open up a can of worms. I believe in a Creator and I like Christian doctrine. So, I just meshed the two.

VN Store

Back